Android - what's in your pocket?

My motog6 is pretty vanilla. The brand-specific stuff Motorola adds, e.g. gestures, is actually pretty awesome.

I’m going to assume, also, that the Pixel 3a still doesn’t include expandable storage. That’s the biggest quality of life upgrade I got when I downgraded from my Pixel to the Moto G6. I threw a 128GB SD card in there and suddenly had 160GB of storage. No shuffling music in and out. I can take as much video as I want to. Download all the apps I want. Load up hours and hours of Netflix content for plane trips, etc. I couldn’t go back to the restrictions of a high-end phone, particularly for one that costs 10x what I paid for the G6.

Well, I made a huge tiny mistake and bought an “almost new” Sony XZ1 Compact from Amazon. It turned out to be an actual mistake though, as although it did look to be basically new, the phone mic didn’t work which I discovered during setup while trying to configure Google Assistant. That really sucks as I love the hardware. Didn’t really have a chance to see if I loved the software as I packed it up and sent it back off to Amazon. Sigh. ‘‘Twas not to be I guess. Perhaps I’ll get the PIxel 3a instead.

Why does that phone have a tumor on it.

And yeah, I wish the Sony compacts phones had better carrier support.

Haha. That’s the reflection of the light above. It does look like there’s some kind of growth on the screen!

Yeah, I think it would be cool if Sony decided to stake a claim in the ~$400 price point. Chasing the high end isn’t getting them anywhere and I think they’ve been getting burned by carriers who make lucrative deals with Samsung and Apple. I think they could find a nice middle ground for a premium look/feel phone that doesn’t break the bank for people still reticent to buy from Chinese brands like Huawei. Make them unlocked world phones and hit that same Pixel 3a space, but without having to be plastic as a price differentiator.

Pixel 3a (or 3a XL) sounds like good value for money, where Nexus used to be. Pixel mainline is just too expensive. Hell flagships from Samsung and Apple are also just moneygrab.

Got my P3 for half price if you count the $400 in Fi credit as discount. I ain’t mad ;)

Yep their half off sale on Black Friday was crazy good.

I see that smartphone shares are plummeting. I guess most people are just happy with their phones and there really has been very little true innovation recently (I mean, notches? Come on). I think prices have gotten pretty out of hand as well.

If you mean very recently, that probably has to do with supply chains via China facing the threat of new tariffs in a few weeks.

Edit: although I do agree innovation has been fairly lackluster relative to price growth in recent years.

I mean, it was clear three-four years ago that mid-range phones were “good enough” for just about everyone who didn’t view their phone as a status symbol. Couple that with the dramatically weaker lock carriers have enjoyed on the handset market where they disguised phone costs with ridiculously consumer-hostile two-year contracts, and anyone who didn’t see this coming didn’t want to.

I’m going to buy a couple of 3a s on google fi this morning. Anybody have a referral code they want me to use? Looks like $20 in credit for both of us.

Here’s a referral code to get a $20 credit when you join Google Fi! Redeem it at https://g.co/fi/r/WEP8M2

Thanks!

Sorry Rob I was impatient and already ordered. Hopefully somebody else can take advantage. Thanks for the offer though.

Finally got a new Android after a long 6+ years with an HTC One S (I dropped that phone so many times WITHOUT any cover and it survived!) Not sure I’ll let that happen with new phone though… these newer phones are so ginormous…not used to the size of new LG G8 tmobile… but wow is it fast. not used to fast phones… now i can play mindless loot box games again… and that ES Blades games jeez… a couple bux for some chests? wtf! game runs buttery smooth though!

Hey no problem. It’s just a bonus when those referrals get used.

I want to support the mid range stuff; my Nexus 5 was damn near perfect*. So I ordered a 3a XL. Hopefully this is a return to form for Google, and they stop ignoring the part of the market for people like us.

*Until LG’s lackluster build quality caught up with me and the microphone broke. Sigh. The specs were great and it was good while it lasted though. :D

You won’t be disappointed, I had the LG V30 before and this feels like an upgrade despite the processor being slower.

Here is the review of the OnePlus 7 Pro:

90Hz 1440p OLED display.
No notch.
Nice price…

Bit of a step up from my One Plus 5. Wish it were time to upgrade. But my phone is still awesome.