Android - what's in your pocket?

There’s a lot of firsthand commentary about Fi in the Fi thread.

Also, there’s a dedicated Google Fi thread: What's the verdict so far on Project Fi?

If you sign up for Fi use someone’s referral link, a few are posted in the thread.

Not me. My aim is to wait at least until Black Friday 2020, maybe with the Pixel 5. Though I’d prefer it if my Pixel 3 lasted me until Black Friday 2021, maybe with the Pixel 6.

But by then your Pixel 3 will be worth $1. ;)

True, but trade-in value vs actually using it for a year sounds like a trade-off in my favor.

True dat!

Just looked up their new tier pricing. It’s now equal to iCloud and Dropbox and nearly every price point.
15 GB - Free
100 GB - 1.99/mo
200 GB - 2.99/mo
2 TB - 9.99/mo
10 TB - 99.99/mo
20 TB - 199.99/mo
30 TB - 299.99/mo

Obvious discounts for paying upfront for longer terms. Google One and iDrive allow family to use your plan. I think Dropbox requires a business account, which has different rates.

So Google One is basically Google Drive storage, but across various products? I’d never come across the term until this afternoon?

I had not seen it either. Drive has always been a separate and somewhat hokey implementation of storage given that many other products used separate storage. This opens things up their recently broken links between Google Drive and Google Photos. Or at least I’m hoping it does.

My SO has a pixelbook and the default file location is google drive for like EVERY app. Photos sync to Google Photos, not G-Drive, so say, editing a photo becomes a real pain in the ass.

Pixel 4’s do not have 5g, right? That’s a little disheartening, but so is the 5g deployment timetable! :)

Doesn’t make much of a difference to me then, partly because I don’t edit photos and partly because I just use drive as a file repository. Slightly worried this means my total Google cloud storage is going to decrease though, as I had understood that Drive alone was 15GB free until now.

Still free. If they took that away it would be a major hit to Android sales, I’m sure. That’s the default storage for Android device backups.

What I mean is, do my Photos/Gmail storage now eat into that 15GB, or do I have to actively sign up to One for that storage to be shared?

I’m gathering there’s no announced price drop on the 3A?

Apparently it’s already been $50 cheaper recently.

Yeah… Unfortunately I missed that deal last week, now its back up to 399$ here.

Yeah, I checked the store earlier, too. 3a is still $399, 3 is $499, 4 is $799. It’s a bummer.

There was a reasonably priced mid-market Android phone mentioned here a few months ago, said to become available late this year. I’ve lost the darned link. Anyone recall?

I’m considering a new phone for my wife for Christmas.

Seems like I always have a new adventure when I order from the big G.
This time, I got in on the Google Fi site the instant the pre orders became available, as I like the white phones, and it’s been my experience that if your not in immediately on them, you’ll be at 3-4 weeks.
So, as I go through the order process, notice that the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are not in the trade in list. WTF? Well, probably just an oversight, I figure, I’ll complete my order and check for the trade in later. Get my order in with a delivery of 10/21-10/22. Awesome. Then, the pixel 3’s show up in the trade in list. Cool. But, unfortunately, according to Google support, you have to choose the trade in BEFORE you complete your order. I was offered the workaround of entering a new order, then cancelling my existing order. But, of course, the new order was at 3-4 weeks. F*ck.
MY workaround was to get an offer from Gazelle (almost identical if you use the Amazon gift card option), and move along. Never a completely smooth experience, ordering a Pixel!