Android - what's in your pocket?

Pixel 3a will be down to $399 CDN, down from $549. What I really want is an updated Sony XZ1 Compact. I guess that ship has sailed though. There will never again be a small Android smartphone, will there?

I’m with you in wanting an updated XZ1 compact. We’re out of luck.

Not to mention the amazing battery life the earlier Xperia phones had. With my habits (mostly text messaging, reading news, some Google Maps here and there) I could always easily go 2-4 days without having to recharge.

Xperia 5 is weirdish - it’s width is that of a compact, but its height is that of one of the XL phones (screen at a 21:9 ratio)

Curious if they’ll have a cut down (height) version in the next 6M.

But yeah, the last compact android was the XZ2 Compact I think?

$99 for a Moto G7 on Fi.

I wonder if Fi will have to raise prices, with the merger of T Mobile and Sprint.

They’re also running a 50% in Fi Credit on the Pixel 4 phones. So for example, if you get a Pixel 4 for $800, you get $400 in Fi credit.

Yep similar to last year’s black friday deal on Pixel 3’s.

That $99 Moto G7 deal is so great though. It seems like every year you can get last year’s Moto for that price.

If my Pixel 3 lasts 3 years, then it will have been worth it at $400, if it doesn’t, I might go on the “last year’s Moto” plan. Just spend $100 every year for last year’s Moto.

My Pixel 2 is paid for, and I like it a lot. I don’t feel any particular need to go for a new phone. Are there cool things coming down the pike for, say, next year’s Android phones?

Oh, same here, for sure. I’m really happy with my Pixel 3. But I’ve never upgraded a phone on purpose. It’s always because the battery on the old one doesn’t last long anymore, or I have to keep rebooting the phone a lot.

And in this thread, it sounded like that’s why most people get new phones:

So if you’re lucky enough to have the Pixel 2 keep lasting, take advantage of it.

That $99 Moto G7 is extremely tempting. My Pixel (original model) battery has just about given up the ghost, and it’s getting to the point where it’s a daily inconvenience.

Oh, hey, the 3a is down to $249 on fi (my carrier). I’m thinking that’s as good as it gets. Any reason to go with the G7 (other than $150)?

No, absolutely no other reason other than price. Perhaps a slightly longer lasting battery? Not sure about that.

Thanks. Ordering my pixel 3a now.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. When I was in my twenties and thirties, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth it seems now, I was something of a techno-junkie. If it was new and shiny, I wanted it! I ended up with a lot of crap filling up every square inch of space and no money. Since then I’ve been very very selective, getting electronics when the old ones no longer fulfill their purpose. Less clutter, more cash!

Sadly, with cars I have never been able to completely kick that monkey off my back…

So took a look at newer phones recently. I usually upgrade my phone when it starts to feel sluggish which has been around every two years or so, or when I start lusting after what appear to be better phones. The last upgrade was from an LG V10. The performance of the LG V10 at the time was fine, but it started locking on me randomly after a bad fall, so I got the V30.

Here I am 1.5 years after getting the V30 (which has been out two years) and looking at the latest phones out of curiosity, but with no desire to upgrade. The V30 is super fast and smooth for what I use it for, has a decent large size screen but is nice and slim, has a great sounding music DAC with enough power for my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, 64GB memory built in plus micro-SD slot, battery life is decent.

If this thing doesn’t die on me, I will have no problem using it for another two or three years and it will be the first time I will go more than two years without upgrading. I love this phone.

I went from the V30 to a Pixel 3a XL, it is slightly less snappy but screen and battery life is much better. T-mobile were doing an offer at the time giving me $400 trade-in so the upgrade was not a lot of money.

I went from a HTC M8 to the Pixel 2 a couple of years ago because the HTC was sluggish with email and web access to my Google drive stuff (which is a major part of my phone use) and was hard to read at times. The Pixel 2 has a much better screen and is still fast enough that I don’t have issues with speed at all. I did like the HTC build quality, but I was told that the Pixel 2 was actually made by HTC, which would explain why it, too, is rock solid.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy 7 and hasn’t had any urge to upgrade it, either. We don’t use phones like my students do, though. For them, the phone is life.

Shopping for a Galaxy S10 or S10 Note. Shop online on Black Friday or wait until Cyber Monday, or it doesn’t matter?

Amazon has Black Friday deals now, but I dont know if they’ll change for Cyber Monday or be cheaper elsewhere? Probably not?