Android - what's in your pocket?

That was a pretty great review. I would to see what he says about the Zenfone 3 when it comes out.

Also, I am a fan of ZTE, but they all are worthy.

I don’t trust ZTE’s software or update schedule.

I have currently a Galaxy S7 but I find that if I am using it heavily then it doesn’t last the day. I have been carrying a battery pack with me for such occasions but I wondered if anyone has experience with a battery case and if it is worthwhile?

I was thinking of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5YAIBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WEMJL02K1JAK&coliid=I1XL46PGD30CXW&psc=1

I tried using a battery case for a while and found that it worked fine, but was annoyingly bulky, and overkill for the few times a year where I was away from chargers all day. One charger at my desk at work, one in my car, and one at home is usually plenty, and I do have a battery pack I can bring if necessary.

First impressions on Nexus 6p and Google Fi:

I like it a lot so far. One thing that immediately happened is that unlike my OnePlus One, the 6p running Android 7.0 doesn’t require recharging on the days off when I don’t use my phone much. In other words, the Android 7 resting battery drain is way lower and very well handled. On my One, if I activated my phone from resting, sometimes everything wouldn’t come back online properly. Like texting or Wifi. And I had to restart the phone. I haven’t had to that yet on the 6p. So I’m really enjoying that aspect a LOT.

Google Fi is interesting, going back and forth between T-mobile and Sprint, depending on where I am. Through most of Kansas City it seems to use T-mobile, but near my parent’s place where I used to get a really bad signal, it uses Sprint, and same with one of the locations that I visit for work. I used to get no signal there, but now Google Fi uses Sprint there. So yeah, I’m loving that aspect of Google Fi. (And thanks for the recommendation on Signal Spy, so I can see at all times what signal I’m using).

One other thing I really dig is using my finger to unlock the 6p. So much better than drawing a pattern. (And setting a pattern was manditory for me on OnePlus One if I wanted to use Android Pay).

Switched to Fi (from Ting, which was perfectly serviceable and cheeeeaaappp).

Had to give up my Google Voice number, which was a little bit of a bummer, until I realized that Fi itself is basically what I always wanted Gvoice to be.

I absolutely love that SMS shows up in my Hangouts webapp, and incoming calls to my voice number ring there as well - and so far, with much better quality than over my old Gvoice number.

Early results are very positive. Far as I can tell, Fi absolutely is the next-gen integrated wireless+communication service that Google wants it to be.

I cheated this by attaching my old Google Voice number to my personal website’s Google Apps account and porting my T-Mobile number over to my main Gmail account.

Move from an S7 Edge to Google Pixel XL (received yesterday), Verizon version. Not sure what the early cries were about, but the only Verizon app on my phone is MyVerizon. At first the finger scanner on the back of the phone took some adjusting to, but I like it now. Software is very fluid and better than any other Android device that I’ve used. This is my phone for the next two years, although I do miss the microSD card in the Edge. I just really did not like the “edges” on the S7 Edge screen.

Consumer Cellular is a pain when it comes to porting out, but I finally have my 5X fully active on Fi.
Moving the old HTC One to one of the kids in hopes that it at least delays having to buy him a new phone for a few months. Anything in particular I should do beyond data wipe / factory reset?

I used Pixel’s 24/7 Google tech support last night with a portable wifi spot problem. Turned out I just needed to restart the phone, but the service worked as advertised. Took me roughly five minutes to be connected via chat and we worked through the problem. I was impressed.

Bought a new iPhone 7 Plus a months ago. it is the best Android phone i ever used.

Well my son lost his Moto G so now I’m in the market for another value Android handset. Anyone have recommendations on what the good deals are for 2016? I’m looking at the $200-$250 range for full purchase of an unlocked phone.

Get the oneplus X or the latest moto G4. If you get the G4 with amazon ads, it’s like $150.

recommend the oneplus x, doesn’t have all bands necessary for north american 4g.

Zenfone 3 has some more budget friendly versions.

Prior to the board migration I had asked about recommendations for budget android phones and the general answer was to wait as Google were going to be coming out with their phone announcement. So the Pixel has arrived and the options for them don’t extend to the mid-level market.

I’m in Canada so it will need to be able to work with Canadian carriers. I’m currently on Rogers. My budget was inthe $200 CAD range but that can be stretched a bit further perhaps as a Christmas present. So what are the decent Android phones out there for a $400 CAD budget?

My phone is used as a phone. I don’t text much at all. Browsing, GPS and taking some notes are the primary uses. The phone is not a gaming device for me. The only game that would be on there would probably be Word Hero.

Zenfone from Asus should have a few in your budget range.

If not Pixel, 5X maybe?

Tim, where in Canada are you?

I am in the Greater Toronto Area.