Android - what's in your pocket?

Wow – do you need three phones, or is this just a sickness?

(and I have my own sicknesses for various tech related items, so no judgement here!)

This is on top of the personal iPhone 6S Plus 128GB. I like to tinker and do in-depth dives into every OS/distribution/phone. Except Blackberry.

The Redmi is going to mom after and the OPO to my dad. The 6P will be the work phone.

Me too! :P

To follow up on this, roaming isn’t perfect yet for the smaller networks/MVNOs in particular. Even T-Mobile, my carrier, negotiates a separate agreement with every regional provider they buy roaming access from.

In the really rural areas of western NC, I get 50MB/wk (or month? I forget) on the local carrier there; after that, data service stops working entirely.

In the mountains of eastern TN, I get emergency call service only–no regular calls, texts, or data allowed at all.

Quite happy with my Nexus 5X. Shocked at how much I adore the fingerprint reader, and the camera is a huge step up from my N5 (which I only replaced due to it being busted up; phone was plenty capable).

One little thing that I find myself appreciating daily: The minimum brightness setting is really dim on the N5X, perfect for reading in bed which I do most nights after my lady friend has already gone to sleep.

Performance is great, but honestly the N5’s performance was pretty darn good. I’ve had vanilla android since whatever shipped on my Nexus 4, so I can’t comment on its brilliance relative to the latest crapware from Samsung et al.

Only weird thing about my phone is how long it sometimes takes to pair to my car. I blame Doze (which I otherwise adore).

Lady friend’s Asus Zenfone Laser 2 5.5" (seriously, Asus, with the SKUs!) is a great phone for $200 unlocked. Good performance, SD slot, dual-SIM if you need that, big beautiful screen (when not cracked, grumble grumble). Asus’s Android skin isn’t even bad! If I knew then what I know now, I’d probably have saved the $200 or whatever and gotten one for myself. It’s a great phone.

It does not appear any of you guys have Gmail sync issues, but in case you do:

Star the bottom of thread to receive notification when/if it’s fixed.

Anyone know how to resolve an error 505 on apps that won’t update/install?

Thank you. This happened to me at the end of last year with an email I shouldn’t have missed and I looked like a boob for saying “I swear I didn’t get that email.” It’s good to know that it’s a system issue.

Believe it’s a permissions issue. I think you need to do stuff like uninstall/reinstall offending apps (believe two different ones are trying to claim the same permission), delete surplus APKs in data/apps (need root), or factory reset. This might be an artifact of updating versions or something.

So, I got the ZTE Axon Pro right before Christmas, and even though it is a mid tier phone, it doesn’t act like one at all. A few days ago, I bought a small speaker and stand for Tablets from Aldi (Aldi electronics are never anything to write home about, but they do a damn find job of giving you value for money) and I set it up with my phone like an alarm clock but I quickly realized that my phones in built volume was louder and better than the stand. That isn’t to knock the stand, I wasn’t expecting much for 5 dollars, but it shows you that ZTE put a lot into their high end phone, including a good sound system.

One of the other perks that I really liked about the ZTE is the dedicated camera button. Two clicks to run the camera app, and one to take the picture. With the 810, the camera app opens quickly.

Now, I just have to wait for them to deliver Marshmallow.

I just got marshmallow on my axon pro, and I was surprised. No hype in the western media. It just showed up, and beat number of larger firms to the punch. The pro has very little in the way of bloatware, so that might be why it came out relatively quickly.

Now I am just waiting on my wife’s Zenfone 2 to come out with 6.0. They did promise it would.

On the other hand, I’m considering a “downgrade” from the Note line back to the old Galaxy S line, albeit the S7 Edge.

The Note 4’s always been a little uncomfortably large in the hand, and as good as I admit it is, I basically only take out the stylus when I’m bored and fidgeting. While the S7 Edge has a lower MP camera, it’s apparently massively better than the Note 4’s in every regard, so I’m very okay with that (yes, I know MP isn’t everything). Furthermore, the device’s battery, RAM, and processor are all noticeably better (although the battery isn’t replaceable), and they’ve actually brought back an SD card slot for the S7 line.

I could wait till the Note 6 comes out and hope it also brings back SD cards and gets the new fancy-shmancy camera, but I’m not really sure the Note line is right for me after the last year or so.

Best of all, as a consistently-paying customer on the JUMP plan with TMO, the new device’d be $0 down and my monthly bill would remain the same. The downside’s mostly that it would mean another year before the device was paid off, dropping the bill, so it’s definitely not a zero-sum game or anything. Thinking, thinking. . .

The camera in my note 3 is the shittest camera I have had in a phone ever.

I’m torn between the Nexus 6P and the S7 Edge. I really like that they’ve made the Edge a worthwhile upgrade over the normal model this year, especially with the extra battery life. And now that I’ve got a Gear VR, there’s more reason for me to stick with Samsung. I’d really like to have a Nexus device for once, though.

It would take a lot for me to buy anything BUT a Nexus device for myself.

I really hope Google relents on their pants-on-head retarded SD card (and removable battery) policies, because I’m not a gigantic fan of having to mod the ever-loving crap out of my devices to keep them reasonably current.

I was going to go with the Galaxy 6 or Note 4 a few weeks back (or wait for the Galaxy 7) but the glass back just turned me off - what a smudge magnet.

Upgraded (through JUMP) to the LG V10. Best phone I’ve owned: excellent build quality (supposed to be shock/drop resistant, not going to test that out but it definitely feels extremely solid), fantastic camera, SD card slot and removable battery, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, beautiful 5.7" screen (with additional multi-page mini-screen at the top which can show contacts, recently used apps, favorite apps and notifications).

Was hesitant about going with a “phablet” but after playing around with the Note 4 and being completely comfortable with its large form factor (I have really long fingers), I decided I probably spend enough time surfing the web on my phone to justify getting a larger screen.

Eh. I am only one use case, but I really don’t give any craps about the lack of SD card or removable battery. Like, at all. Wouldn’t use 'em if I had 'em.

Yeah, definitely different strokes for different folks. I have stuck myself on TMO to save money and because I like their new phone acquisition plans better than VZW’s, but it means I lose signal a lot. Having a buncha stuff on-device is important in that scenario, and the cost of 128GB devices is just goofy as shit. For the batteries, I use it a lot less, but there are scenarios every couple of months where I need to be able to maintain high usage for a long time, and it’s been a lifesaver (not-quite-literally) a couple of times to be able to swap in a fresh one. It’s actually the #1 thing holding me back from hitting GO on the S7 Edge.

On the plus side, you could probably compress the shit out of your music. It’s not like you’d be able to tell the difference with that heavy metal stuff of yours :P