Android - what's in your pocket?

You should look at the battery stats in settings. Presumably one or more rogue apps is the real cause of your issues here, as that behavior is virtually impossible under normal operation w/ a battery case.

Oh good, I can hold out until then…I hope…

eyes phone wearily…

You better fucking hold out until then you little shit…

Moto Z Play, Asus ZenFone 3 Zoom.

Any time now you might see the Moto E plus, or Moto C plus, released in the US with very strong battery life, and cheaper than both above.

Alternatively, do a full android reset on your S5 and replace the internal battery with a new one for about 25 bucks (I believe it is replaceable?). Don’t have Google install all your apps automatically again after the reset, just go one by one manually setting it up again you end up with way less stuff on it.

Isn’t it hard going from a 5.5" screen to a 5.2’? I realize larger screens don’t automatically mean ‘better’, but I’d be very hard pressed personally to step down to a smaller size from my G3. Even the S8, despite being larger, is a step down because of how stupid narrow it is.

I haven’t noticed that it is smaller, to be honest. As it has a better resolution, 1080 vs 720, it feels like there’s more space without everything being too tiny.

Hmm. Are you sure you had an LG G3 before? The G3’s have ‘quad HD’ res or whatever they call it - something even higher than 1080.

LG G3s, the smaller version. Maybe it was branded G3 mini in the US?

Ah ha! I was reading that as “G3s” plural, not G3-S. I had no idea a mini G3 existed. My whole question is rendered moot, you have upgraded quite nicely with your Moto G5.

Aha, makes sense.

My son’s Nexus 6p has developed the “early shutdown” problem, where the phone declares itself to be out of battery when the actual amount remaining is anywhere from 20-50%. Naturally, the phone’s 1-yr warranty expired a month ago. Web searches have led to much pessimism about any chance to correct this, but I figured I’d ask here to see if anyone knows more about this issue.

If you have a local shop than can replace the battery for like 60 dollars, probably worth a shot. Looks like the bootloop problem was fixed in a recent patch at least.

I sent my damn phone back via the extended warranty I bought. The replacement they sent initially had the problem even worse. The third one worked alright. I’ve been through 4 Nexus 6p phones now and I’ve had a different issue with each one of them. The latest one has the least annoying issue, it batches a bunch of network activity only to unleash it all at once. So I’ll be sitting there and suddenly get a dozen notifications, sometimes from hours earlier. Usually happens after it’s dozed for a while.

Because of Google’s non-response to this, I’m pretty much off Nexus/Pixel phones, and I given all the hardware trouble I’ve had, there’s about zero chance I’ll ever buy anything by Huawei again.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. :(

Edit: And as the for post above, it was cheaper for me to pay for the replacement phone ($80 under the replacement warranty) than to get a new battery. Apparently since a ton of people are having this issue, it’s difficult to get ahold of batteries. At least it was a month or two back. Sorry for all the edit activity.

I loved my 6P while it lasted, but with mine the phone radio/antenna whatever stopped working shortly after warranty ended. :P

Seriously, Huawei, never again

Has anyone practical experiences with the new Nokias? I am also looking for a long battery life phone but as close to stock as possible android is also a priority. And they promised fast turnarounds on the software updates on the Nokias.

i wouldn’t throw in with someone so new, in terms of android support

With the Pixel 2 rumored to not have a headphone jack, does this change things for any of you? Also does anyone here have experience with USB C headphones yet?

Also the other rumor is that it’s going up in price. The last one started at $649 and cost up to $869 USD, say this one is $700 to $950, are people really going to pay that?

I’m off the train for any phone with a curved screen or without a headphone jack. One of my primary use cases for my phone is driving while Navigating, listening to music, and charging, which is not possible under most headphone-adapter scenarios (and the bluetooth on my car stereo sucks balls and is super staticky and prone to dropping out, so fuck that “solution”). And I have learned that the cases built for curved-screen devices are not nearly as protective as those made for regular phones, and with my possibly sleep-apnea-borne coordination issues (I drop EVERYTHING a lot, including my phone), that just won’t fly when handling a device that nearly costs a grand.

Which sucks, cuz I think this leaves me unable to fulfill all of my other “requirements” for a phone (replaceable battery, SD support, latest-gen processor, as much RAM is available on the market, and screen between 5 and 6").

I have a curved screen and I worry about it. But I hate bulky cases and screen protectors so I actually just bought insurance for the first time ever. Now I go naked or with a minimal case to add grippiness.

My insurance is limited to two replacements/calendar year.

So, I’m currently hoping I don’t drop another phone for 4 months. . .

Man, I should really go get a sleep study done.