Android - what's in your pocket?

That is probably the phone I will be grabbing for my wife and I, but we both currently have 5.5 inch screens and I don’t really want to go back to 5.2 inches.

I wonder what we will see on black Friday.

Simplest is probably just take the SIM out of your 5 and stick it in the new phone. I think 5 is already the nano size SIM.

If the phone becomes rootable, the longevity of these phones can be crazy. My G3 could be running Nougat if I wanted it to (someone ported the G6 software back to the G3). Granted, this isn’t the same as vendor support.

Yes all of those phones come unlocked so you just pop your SIM in. Check if each phone has the same SIM type- I believe iPhones use nano SIMs. If the LG takes a microsim you can get a little adapter or just visit your carrier and tell them you need a SIM for your new phone.

I think the interwebs was eavesdropping on you guys

Just to clarify, you’re looking to replace your 4 year old iPhone with a previous-generation Android phone, because you’re upset about Apple’s update policy for that 4 year old phone?

I just worry that you’re setting yourself up for some pain, if OS update policies are your driving factor…

He didn’t actually say that. Perhaps he’s been interested in Android for a while and now Apple has provided the opportunity for a change? With Android you’re not likely to get an update that will brick your phone, you’re just not going to get the update. Although I was pleasantly surprised that my Moto X Play actually got the N update. I would so love to get that Moto G5 Plus.

The reasoning was expressed in the iPhone 8 thread. It wasn’t super clear, though. It sounded like:

• his phone wasn’t compatible with iOS 11
  • his favorite apps had recently been updated
  • those apps were no longer compatible with his phone

… maybe? It seems like old apps would still be running on his non-updated phone anyway, so I’m not really sure of the underlying issue(s). I only bring it up because while there are lots of reasons to prefer one platform or another, OS update policies are usually considered a negative factor on Android devices.

Not sure how Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind) can do this here in Canada. I wonder if I can do this and pay off the “tab” right away to cancel: [Freedom Mobile] Hot? Pixel 2 64GB $600 on $50 LTE plan with Freedom Mobile (2 yr term) - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

tldr: $700 CAD for Pixel 2 instead of reg MSRP 899

"I just got off the phone with customer service. For eligible plans, you pay $0 up front, and then $25 + tax for 24 months, which equals $600 + tax. This is what’s shown on their site:

$0
with $25/mo MyTab Boost on $50+ plans
(plus the $50/month for your plan)
EARLY BLACK FRIDAY! Save $300

If you cancel, then pay the remaining amount on the full cost of the phone (ie $900 minus what you’ve already paid)."

The old apps do work but I cannot download any new apps because they have all been updated for the new OS. This also means I cannot download any updates and if my phone has to be reloaded I am entirely screwed. It is not an immediate problem but it is a ticking time bomb.

I mind less about having to replace a $200 phone every few years than a $600 or $800 one.

The good news is that when you have an Android phone, OS updates make your phone faster instead of slower. It’s a whole new world!

If most devices got updates for even 2 years, that would be a notable advantage. But they don’t so it isn’t.

In fact, even if most devices allowed you to unlock the bootloader so you could install LineageOS yourself, that would be at least a notable advantage for techies. But they don’t so it isn’t.

Fact of the matter is if you buy a $930 Samsung Note 8 today, the flagship highest-end Android phone available period, it comes with Android 7.1, which is already obsolete. It just got 8.0 yesterday, 3 months after its release. It will likely never get 9.0 and the bootloader is locked on many models including every one sold in the USA, with a Qualcomm SoC.

It isn’t a notable advantage.

Now Google is aware of this and has taken steps to address it in 8.0. Maybe the next device generation, the one that comes with 8.x out of the box, will get updates for several years. Or maybe not. I hope so.

This is all more or less true, but I will point out that my GS6 did get 7.0 earlier this year when the GS8 launched. So while not exactly quick, my two year old phone was still updated to the latest version of Android (at the time). It wasn’t exactly immediate, but it still happened.

You can cut big sims into little ones with scissors.

Measure twice, cut once.

And it’s not even that scary/hard! Done it a couple times to go down to a microSIM. Not sure about cutting down to nano.

Shitbonerz…the 6P battery replacement was a failure. I damaged the screen/digitizer while opening the case with a suction cup tool. It turns out I was pulling the screen off when I thought I was getting the case open. I did get the battery out without damaging the underlying cable. But, the screen remained black after I got it reassembled. :(
Cough, learning experience, cough.

I’m sorry to hear it. Thanks for the update though, my phone is starting to die at 15% again and it’s good to see a failure reported so I don’t break my own phone. I definitely do not have $500+ to blow on a new phone right now.

I think if I had immediately realized that I was not in fact opening the case I would have been fine.
If you want the battery it’s all yours.

If you can’t resell it or return it I would love to have it. I will definitely eventually be replacing the battery, maybe by sending it in to a person who works on mobile phones all day, but still, it will happen. What an awesome gesture.