Android - what's in your pocket?

Interesting stuff so far, guys. Thanks!

MicroSD doesn’t double your RAM. The 64GB model has double storage AND double RAM. And it came back in stock today.

Just noticed this. He’ll be home soon, and I’ve shot him the link to look that over.

True dat. Not sure how much RAM matters in Androidland, but now that it’s in stock it’s an obvious choice.

It matters for app swapping. If you have a lot of RAM, you can minimize and switch apps back and forth, and everything is super smooth and fast. If you run out of RAM, then switching apps takes forever (in comparison).

My Pixel updated to Android 8.1 a few days ago. The launcher search bar is now permanently anchored at the bottom of the screen, between the system buttons and the favorites bar. No option to move it back to the top. What the hell, Google?

I find it pretty obnoxious myself. That real estate at the bottom is mine.

Well yes of course it has some benefit, but (for example) on iOS the improvements moving from 1GB to 2GB were huge but 2GB->3GB was basically not noticeable.

Regarding the searchbar, just install Nova Launcher. Doesn’t everybody use Nova Launcher?

Android 8.1 here on my Nexus 5x, search bar still up near the top. :)

Use Nova Launcher Prime instead?

I have never used Nova Launcher before (don’t giggle and throw old fruit). Maybe it’s time to check it out.

It’s also on sale to celebrate 6 or 7 years.

So, what are the perks of Nova Launcher Prime?

It’s ri-goddamn-diculously customizable. You can set it up exactly how you want.

If you’re asking about Prime specifically, I think it allows you to customize gestures or something. I bought it like 5 years ago and the license still works, they don’t screw you with new numbered versions every year or anything.

And its on sale for 99 cents!

All this. It’s the bees knees. I’ve tried maybe a dozen launchers and always come back to this one. Soo good.

Action Launcher is excellent as well.

I got a new job recently and my employer provides a phone. They told me to go to the sprint page and pick a phone I wanted under $500. A quick glance showed me the Essential at 499 so I picked that with almost no research.

I got it today and didn’t expect to be impressed. I’m rocking a Nexus 6P for my personal phone, and I figured the Essential would just be a necessary-evil employer phone that I carried around. To my surprise the Essential is . . . really impressive. Solid phone, great screen, I just love it. It’s packing almost the exact same screen size as 6P into a much smaller phone. Seems to be really well made. I’ll post some more impressions after I’ve used it a few days but I’m very pleasantly surprised so far.

Yay another Essential user! ;)

Yep! The only jarring thing about it is the O/S downgrade. My Nexus 6P went to Android 8.0 months ago but the brand-new-out-of-the-box Essential is on 7.1