Android - what's in your pocket?

They probably forgot that they had gotten rid of physical navigation buttons to make the screen size bigger so when they went back to add back space for the fingerprint sensors it never occurred to them.

Ha. Samsung marketing bloke just took an applause break for putting the fingerprint sensor where you can reach it.

Super Slow-mo camera could be pretty fun. I’m not really a camera guy when it comes to phones, but I’m more interested in this than AR. And if the low light performance is actually as good as they claim, that’s a big plus.

Bixby continues to answer the question, “What if we copied Google, but more clunky?”

So, according to Engadget, Bixby’s live translation is Google Translate. So Samsung.

I understand that the digital assistant is an area where there’s money to be made for those who get widespread adoption. But my experience with Samsung software from my phone and tablet from Samsung is absolutely underwhelming. I imagine Samsung is sinking a lot of money into developing Bixby but it seems like a longshot.

I’d rather they sink some money into redeveloping a fingerprint sensor on the front of the damn phone again so I can always find it easily even when docked in my car or laying flat on a counter.

That shit is annoying.

If your car has Bluetooth, why not set your phone to automatically unlock when it’s docked in your car?

It’s a habit that I pretty much always started keeping my phone locked once the sensors were common and fast.

Except then all the companies decided to start putting them on the back. There are workarounds, and it’s not the end of the world, but it’s an extra hassle compared to it being on the front like the GS6.

Strange early benchmark results for the Exynos version of the S9. Excellent synthetic results (as previously leaked) but real world performance weaker than previous gen.

Looks like a decent upgrade to me.

Main concern is that I’m not crazy about Samsung’s over-saturated colors both on display and in-camera.

I also found that their list of features is so blatantly Apple-copying it’s become tiring. It’s like they see these things as a checklist more than integral features - voice assistant - check. Face ID - check. Animoji - check.

Yeah, I could do without those, but it would still be a solid upgrade over my S7 Edge, and seems very competitive with the Pixel XL2 (thanks to that iffy screen). I’m very tempted to wait on the Active version for the battery life, but I’ve no idea if that will be getting the camera features of the S9+, which I really quite fancy. I hate digital zoom, so a narrow-angle lens option would be great. As it is, I think I’m going to wait for some more hands-on reviews and then decide whether to go for this or the Google phone.

Ooh, this is interesting (from XDA):

Of course, actually getting an Exynos device in the US means some pretty shitty tradeoffs.

Which sucks, cuz I really, really goddamned hate the Samsung emoji set. Need root to change it, though.

Not an issue for me. It’s Exynos as standard here.

Yep. Goddamn I wish the US didn’t have to deal with Verizon and Sprint’s CDMA networks. Pretty much the only reason left we don’t have Exynos chips here for Samsung.

It might be a problem anyway ;) From the AT article:

That would certainly explain the benchmarks I linked. Wouldn’t make any difference to Project Treble usefulness though. If I can get clean Android on a Samsung specced phone, that would be great.

Need to upgrade from my Nexus 6, but can’t choose between the S9 vs Pixel 2 XL vs iPhoneX. I don’t attach my heart and soul to Android vs IOS but I do prefer Android. Thoughts?

S9 - can ignore the things I don’t like such as Bixby. Looks like the camera is good. I like the faster processor. Prefer Android.

Pixel 2 - don’t like bezels so need to go with XL. I prefer stock Android, Google updates. I like the camera a bit more. Missing headphone jack (I consider it a minor annoyance, not a dealbreaker). Slower processor. Less expensive.

Iphone X - annoyed by Apple apps such as maps. Not crazy about IOS. More expensive. Friends are mostly on imessage, so it’s a plus for me. Gives access to the Watch which I like. With wife on iPhone, and spending so much on phone / eventually watch, probably means all-in on Apple for the family for at least a few years.

Your wife and friends will know instantly if you get an iPhone, you’ll no longer be a lowly green bubble.