Android - what's in your pocket?

I love my Moto G5 Plus but you have to realize that you will never get an OS update for it. It’s stuck on 7.0.1 I think. If that’s fine with you then go for it! Wonderful battery life.

I’ve got the Moto x4 and it’s fine. I recommend it for the price.

The Moto G5 is $179 prepaid regular price in Canada but can be had for $130-150 on sale. Great phone for parents.

The Nokia 6.1 2018 version is available at Amazon and Best Buy. I’ll probably go with that when i replace my G5+.

Sorry to hear about your 5x. I had two die in the spread of 2 months, my wife’s in February, mine just a few weeks ago. I talked about it a bit in the Project Fi thread.

Short version, my wife’s 5x (roughly 14 month old) was bootlooping. Had no problem at all getting LG to fix it for free, although it took about 7-10 days to get back. She used an old phone with Hangouts on it as her phone during that time, which worked great except when she wasn’t on Wifi.

My 5x (24 months) would not boot at all, and LG would not fix it because they consider it a different issue. I ended up getting in on the Moto X4 deal, grabbing two of them. We’ll keep the 5x around as a backup in case something happens to one of them. They’re ok phones, although as I recently posted they are a bit heavier than the 5x. I also noticed the other day that yellows on my X4 look more like orange, so not sure if I’m going to need to get support involved on that.

Not sure how many lines you have active on your Fi plan, but my understanding from talking to them is that you need to have both phones active on your plan at the same time to be eligible for the $250 credit, so if you only have one line I don’t think you would get it.

If LG is willing to fix the 5x, I would definitely have them do it. If nothing else you’ll have a backup phone if you need it down the line.

Thanks for the info. We’re in a similar boat, but with some extra moving parts. I will send the 5x to LG. Not sure what they will say. Its original symptom was bootlooping, but after a few attempts to get it to boot it has moved on to doing nothing at all. If LG says it is not covered by the extended warranty for the bootloop issue, then I’ll take what they send me about the cost to repair to my credit card company and try the credit card extended warranty route.

As for the X4s, 3 of my family are on Consumer Cellular and I’ve been on Fi for the past 18 months. I had my wife create a new Fi line and send us a sim for a new number, then put that line into a group with mine. We’ll have to let the 2nd X4 kind of just sit there for a month to get the credit, which I guess we can think of as $249 minus the $15 for having the 2nd line for a month.

We have an old Moto G for a backup now, though I’m waiting on delivery of a sim adapter before I can put my Fi sim into it.

I’m glad you already knew about that because I completely forgot to mention that as an option, because the Moto G we were using as a backup had a damaged SIM slot in it. You may also know this, but you can get a free data-only SIM from Project Fi that shares the data pool as well.

I do know that, but we actually use our phones fairly often for making, you know - phone calls…

Ha! I admit that I don’t do much phone calling on my phone, but one of the things I thought was really surprised when I learned about it was that you could stick that data-only SIM in another phone and still use it for phone calls and texts via Hangouts, while maintaining the normal SIM in your regular phone. The calls wouldn’t be free because they’d be over data, but still handy for a backup. Maybe that’s not as cool or unique a feature as I thought.

PSA for anyone else who has a Moto X phone - if you want USB connection to work, don’t allow it to install the Oreo 8.1 update. I installed it recently, and when I went to connect the phone to the USB port in my car, no love. Tried it with my computer, fail. Searched the web and found a ton of threads about it, including this one which (after following some links) led to a workaround: you have to disable screen lock and reboot. Which is obviously terrible, disabling screen lock kills what little security phones have these days.

Ugh, sounds awful. No way to roll it back?

Haven’t tried a rollback because a few posts I ran across during my searching said they tried it with no luck. I don’t really want a rollback anyway, mostly 8.1 is fine. Just need the next patch that fixes the USB issue. But if you’re still pre 8.1, stay there until that happens!

Ours didn’t - until I put just the SIM adapter into it to check that it was the right size. Turns out the contacts inside the SIM slot are just copper wires flexed inward. When I removed the adapter the contacts caught on the inside edge and got pulled out. They were too think to get easily bent back into thin space they needed to go.

We did end up doing the 2x X4 deal - they are supposed to arrive today. I also just got an email from LG Repair. It lists the 5X’s ‘Defect’ as ‘Not powering up’ but does say it is In Warranty.

That’s good news. LG was pretty fast getting my wife’s phone back to us, so hopefully it’ll be quick for you too.

And sorry to hear about your Moto G’s SIM slot. When I tried to get her SIM to work in her Moto G, I did a little digging around and I saw a good bit out there on how the pins in the Moto G’s SIM slot were particularly fragile.

The GPS sensor in my Moto G4 Play recently died, about a month before its first birthday. I’m going back to Samsung for an S7.

The Moto X4s have arrived. Seems a good value phone for ~$130 each, though I’d probably be disappointed had I paid $400.

Slippery as all get-out, though. Any X4 users here with a case you’re especially happy with?

That’s the one I have, no complaints.

Ha, I have that one and hated it. Go figure. Lots of little things I didn’t like but the major thing is that the case is so thin/shallow that when you set the phone down it rests directly on the camera bump on the back.

This is the one I settled on:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JWB4MP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JmC-AbRZAR0HK

I got a Spigen brand cover for my Moto G5 Plus that is thick enough so that doesn’t happen. Do they have something similar for the phone in question?