Android - what's in your pocket?

Either we have different phones or we’re not talking about the same case, because I have no such issue. In fact, the main reason I got the one I linked above was to avoid that whole rest-on-the-camera thing.

I suspect they may have changed the case since I bought it then, since another issue I have with the case is the split buttons for the case (three separate buttons instead of a volume rocker and a power button) but the new pictures in the product listing show the two buttons the way I like them. Amazon confirms that it is the case I bought so either I got a knock off or they changed it.

I’m probably a bit late to have any input, but we went with this case:

It’s a weird hybrid where you put on a soft shell that’s not a particularly snug fit, and then there’s a more rigid cover that clips on over it, but doesn’t cover the bottom and top (those are covered only by the soft cover). I like that’s it’s grippier than the normal TPU cases, but it does add a bit of weight. I put it on the scale and I think it was at least half the weight of the phone again. It also feels a little wider than my 5x with case.

Not sure that’s a ringing endorsement, but it’s an ok case.

I went with
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Liquid-Crystal-Protection-Premium/dp/B077H8CZPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526821886&sr=8-1&keywords=Spigen+Liquid+Crystal+Moto+X4+Case+with+Slim+Protection+and+Premium+TPU+for+Moto+X4+(2017)?tag=qt3-20

Clear is OK, that wasn’t really the goal. It has enough of a non-slip feel that I don’t worry constantly about just flat dropping the phone. The buttons work fine and the cut-outs are big enough for the headphone jack and USB.

I just got a pair of Moto X4s because I switched to ProjectFi. I ordered a case from Spigen because I liked the one for my Moto G5 Plus.

I’m having trouble finding a screen protector that seems well received all around like I could for my G5 Plus. I ordered this one, but wish it didn’t have black areas on the glass.

The curved glass on these phones are giving protector makers difficulties.

What screen protector do you guys use?

None. I still don’t see any marks or scratches on the screen.

My son ordered a OnePlus 6 yesterday to replace his dying original OnePlus.

Reading reviews about that phone, I’m more then a bit envious:

Mind you, my 3T is far from being a slouch and still performs beautifully. Looks like a nice and well priced phone though.

I’ve never, ever used a screen protector on a smartphone (iPhone 3GS, Galaxy Note, Nexus 5, Moto X Play, Moto G5 Plus) and I’ve yet to ever have a scratch on my screen. My Note substrate did shatter after a face down fall onto a patio stone but I don’t believe a screen protector would have protected it from that.

Hooray, LG is fixing the wife’s 5X. Hope to get another year out of these things.

They fixed mine, turned it around in less than 2 weeks. I have put it into storage until our son has gotten 2 years use out of his Moto G Play (about 9 more months) and then we’ll give him the 5X to use however long it may last.

I’ve had the weirdest thing happen on two occasions now with my Moto G5+. Namely, I’ll open up the Twitch app, try to watch a stream and boom, screen goes black and then I’m looking at the Moto logo on the light blue background-- the phone has spontaneously rebooted. Both times it’s involved the Twitch app.

It’s only happened twice, both while attempting to watch a Twitch stream, but not every time or even most times I try to do that. Someone on another forum thought it might be a bad battery but that seems a little soon since I got this phone in August of last year.

Bad batteries will do that (the extra processing needs hit the battery at a higher draw rate and the small issues with reporting remaining voltage, etc. suddenly compound and the phone suddenly doesn’t have the power it asked for, oops), but I’ve also had at least one device develop an overheating issue (any sufficiently taxing activities like rapidly scrolling media-rich content like FB news feeds would cause the phone to reboot; switching batteries–ahhhhh how I long for the days of non-hardwired batteries–didn’t help at all, and the phone would get noticeably hot to the touch before starting to reboot, and would continue to bootloop until you cooled it down, either by putting in front of an AC vent or just turning it off entirely for a minute or two).

I thought I was going crazy last night:

Without a fingerprint sensor this would be annoting, but, ever since getting a phone with fingerprint unlocking, I don’t find a lot of use for Smart Lock. I can both awaken and unlock the phone with a single action using the sensor, but with Smart Lock I have to push the power button and then swipe up. Am I missing something?

I’m going back to wet-applied plastic instead of tempered glass, I seem to like it better. I use a screen protector for the first year of ownership. At the end of year two, I go without a case too, so that if and when I drop it, I get a new phone :).

I use tempered glass. Can’t stand how the soft wet applied film feels.

Do you put your phone face up or down? Because face down you are bound to get scratches naked.

Usually face up but occasionally face down. The case creates a gap between the screen and any surface so it’s kind of moot. But I’ve never hand anything in my pocket scratch the screen (keys, etc).

I’ve never had a case or a screen protector for a phone. My phones are often kept in the same backpack pocket as a bunch of coins and other metal objects. I usually put them screen down on the table. I’m also a bit clumsy; the last time I dropped a phone on the pavement was 45 minutes ago.

None of the phones less than 5 years old has any detectable scratches on the screen. (The 2nd gen Moto G has some massive dents on the plastic backpanel, but if that bothered me, that’s a part that a child could replace and that costs $15).

I have no idea at all of what the case / screen protector crowd are expecting to do with their phones. Throwing them down a mountain?

I don’t use a screen protector but then again my screen is perfectly flat since it’s a Moto G5+, though I do have a minimalist Spigen cover/case to protect it from falls a bit.