Android - what's in your pocket?

It’s an an amazing phone with a so so camera. If that works for you, it’s a great deal. I love mine, and plan to use it until it falls apart.

I too love my Essential.

I just noticed that the MS launcher takes up less ram than the Huawei one native on my Honor 6x.

I really love my Pixel 2 XL. I freaking love the camera, it just nails color balance and the portrait mode is just awesome.

Checking tech news this morning, the Moment Pro app now supports Pixel 2’s Visual Core. Is the Moment Pro app good? Does it record video too? What camera app do people use these days? I find the default app pretty decent, though wouldn’t mind on-screen controls for some settings rather than menu-based.

So I was getting tired of mistyping on Gboard, so I began looking for alternatives. Imagine my surprise when someone suggested…the BlackBerry keyboard.

The weird thing is, you have to use this program to install it.

https://cobalt232.github.io/blackberrymanager/

But I gotta tell y’all, it’s pretty damned great. Like, shockingly great. The predictive text is really neat, and it has some nice features like a slide-out numeric keypad. I’m kinda super surprised by the thing.

I mistype a bunch on Gboard as well, but never really attributed it to gboard itself - just figured it was fat thumbs. However, the slide-out numeric keypad sounds great all by itself so time to give this a try…

Yeah, I find I’m mistyping a lot less now. It’s fantastic.

Ugly as sin, but functional so far - will have to try it for a while to get a real feel. A shame the slide-out functions are dependent on the swipe functionality being turned off (not that I swipe a whole bunch anyway, but…)

Yes, it’s ugly, but I really like it. I never use swipe anyway. Could never get handle on it.

I’m a little fed up with Swift key so I’m going to give this a go. Does anyone know if any of the other apps that come with the manager are worth installing? I’m thinking of the BlackBerry password keeper.

I’ve only installed the calendar but it’s pretty awesome.

It seems like all of the other apps are available directly on the Google Play store. I installed Blackberry Hub anyways. I don’t know that it matters.

Swiftkey used to be great. When google copied it it was fine. Now it’s getting worse and worse. My suspicion is that the vocabulary pool has expanded with general usage - and general usage SUCKS.

Yeah, but for the keyboard you need that extra program thingy for some reason.

Yeah, SwiftKey used to be amazing. It’s merely okay now. I’ve probably gotten my 99¢ worth though.

So “swiping” is the keyboard turning manual hand-written words into electronic words? Manual handwriting on glass using your thumb sounds like it would be really hard to do.

It’s swiping your finger across the keyboard without finger-down-finger up on individual letters. So, like to type “cat”, you put your finger on C, then drag your finger in a < shape, hitting A and T.

The prediction comes down to knowing what letters come in which order based on the general vicinity of the letters you swiped over. Like, figuring you that you meant “cat” instead of “car”, since the letters are basically in the same places.

This is exactly what I mean, it’s the illiterates flooding the user data pool!

The Google keyboard’s swipe recognition has been getting steadily worse for years. I regularly get it insisting that I meant some word containing letters that my finger didn’t go anywhere near. I’ll draw a rock-steady line between the letters, and it will consistently and repeatedly be all “Oh no, I’m quite sure you meant this other word instead.”

Yeah, i don’t get how the swipe recognition got worse, but it sure seems like it.

Anyway, Android Pie was released today.