Android - what's in your pocket?

Correct, Google considers the Nexus 6P on its own re: new Android versions since Sept. 2017. Seems like 8.1 was the last official update for it from Google.

Interesting, Security updates go up to November 2018 for the phone apparently. I hope they at least do another security update, I haven’t had one of those in a while this year. What I love about those is that they “optimize” during the updates, and it always seems to run faster for a while after every security update.

It never occurred to me until just now, is there a way to do that optimization thing without a security update?

Yep, same boat with the 5X.

Don’t know where you guys are in terms of getting a new phone, but the Pixel 2 (non XL) is pretty sweet and should be a very good bargain when the 3 comes out. I love the smaller form factor after my 6P.

Fi is offering a Pixel 2 (or XL) for $650 - $200 with Fi activation. I still don’t want to pay $450 for a 2016/17 phone. I’m sure it’s better than my 5X in many ways, but I don’t know that it solves the RAM / perf issues that really bother me.

Unfortunately that’s only on the 2 XL which brings it down to $650, same price as the regular 2. If it was valid on the 2 I’d probably have one of those instead of the Moto.

My Moto X4 arrived today. Pretty solid and as a sidegrade I’m happy enough with it… but I shouldn’t be paying the same price 2 and a half years down the road for a sidegrade.

This is why I refuse to upgrade my dying 5x , hoping for some GOOD deals this fall.

Ugh, my b, sorry.

YUUUUP.

Same here.

Welp, my Pixel updated to Pie last night and now I have no sound at all. Good job Google.

Speaking of sound, I’m not a huge fan of the new volume controls. It’s not major, but I liked being able to adjust the different types of sound without having to go to the full settings menu.

I prefer not having the volume buttons not randomly changing a different bar on every use.

Fuck me I don’t want to have to stick it out with this 5x for another whole year blehhhhhhhh

It’s not even close to random. The volume controls would contextually control the volume for what you were doing. Playing a game? They’d adjust media volume. In a call? They’d adjust call volume.

It’s ironic that Google, the company that’s all about figuring out what you want, has made the volume control dumber in this way.

So friends, is there a secret to using Google Pay? I’m out on a long walk, trying to get 10,000 steps, and I didn’t bring my wallet. In the middle of the walk I suddenly get super hungry. I’m sad for a moment, but then I recalled that I set up Google Pay when I first got my phone.

First stop, McDonald’s, where both the app and the sign on the door say it’s accepted. I follow the directions in the app, but nothing happens, so I just say thank you and leave.

Next up is 7-Eleven, which again, both the app and a door sign confirm Google Pay support. It didn’t work there either.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I myself have never used it.

I did a that, as the app was very clear about what to do.

Did you have wifi or maybe bluetooth turned off?

I am not sure what it uses to transmit.

Both on. Just tried at Starbucks. Disconnected my Bluetooth headphones just in case. Nothing. I wonder if it’s an Essential issue.

I think all the mobile pay things use NFC.

A quick Google says the Essential’s NFC chip is at the bottom of the phone, so it’s possible you just didn’t align the sensor correctly.