Android - what's in your pocket?

Yeah, I just discovered it’s on the bottom of the phone.

I’ve been using Google Pay for a while now on my phone, and I’ve noticed that it occasionally doesn’t work if your phone is set to auto-unlock. For instance, I’ve got my bluetooth headset set to auto-unlock the phone when connected, so if I have the headset linked up then Google Pay sometimes gets confused. It’s always worked for me as long as the phone is locked when I start the process, though.

Hrrmmmm, I wonder if already being unlocked along didn’t help…

The most amusing bit about all of this is that while you are getting your 10k steps in, your stops are McD’s, 7-11, and Starbucks :)

It’s what was available on my route. There was also a Wing Stop and a Chevron with an ExtraMile as well, but I didn’t stop at them. ;)

I need to buy my kids a digital camera to replace the ones that were stolen. I’m thinking of picking them up an essential phone instead which is effectively the same price. How’s the camera on the phone?

I’ve been very happy with the camera.

The camera app isn’t bad, but I got Open Camera which has more features.

It has a ton of space for pics and video too.

Google did a great job of replacing my bizzaro hardware with a refurb post haste. But, the refurb has lag issues. It doesn’t leave a lingering horrible taste in my mouth. I am stuck yet again in this hand held quandary of software first or hardware first. My buying decision is at least a year off. Google has hosed me twice now with hardware issues, but I get the software updates. Samsung has the best hardware, but they refuse to ship with much less update to the current OS. Oneplus has the “all ur base are belong to us” issue.

It’s enough to make a grown man cry.

Nokia!

What does that mean?

It moves his ZIG in a potentially inappropriate way?

All the telemetry data Oneplus collects.

What about Sony? Nobody ever talks about Sony phones but they seem nice. (If i were to get an Android i’d almost certainly get an XPERIA for my first try).

Sony is one of the only options if you want flagship specs without a giant screen. They seem to do a good job pushing out Android updates. They don’t get a ton of attention because they haven’t really stood out in the top end and they aren’t that competitive in the midrange. They also don’t have carriers pushing them in the US.

AdGuard has a 35% off deal on all their plans (until Sept 4th). I’m wondering about getting a lifetime subscription for AdGuard for Android. I have the free version and it seems to work ok. Do others think it would be a good idea? I have prepaid data and I would like to reduce the amount that is wasted by blocking as many ads as possible.

@inactive_user , still rocking that Nexus 5x?

I just ordered the recently added to PjFi Moto X4 (Sterling Blue) with 4GB/64GB, they offered me $50 for my 5X, so $249 in the end. It’s sort of a side-grade but with a far better battery and double the memory and storage. @LockerK just got one also!

Never pay more than $249 for a phone.gif

I checked and back in June of 2016 I paid $249 for the Nexus 5x. So I got a little 2 years out of it! Recently the battery has barely lasted half a day, and its started randomly dropping calls even with full signal.

Moto phones will be getting Pie soon!

Yeah, and it’s getting real long in the tooth. Definitely interested to hear your impressions of the moto!

November 2018 is the end of security updates for the 5x. FYI. The last one I received was back in July 5th.

Yeah, I’m aware. I just refuse to feel any purchase time pressure with technology. There’s always another sale, y’know?

Yeah totally understandable. :)

@Canuck @Papageno looks like you will be finally getting Oreo for your older moto g5 phones. I wonder wtf took so long?

@Zylon @BrianRubin How is Pie treating you guys so far?

Some of the changes mentioned here have me pretty excited.