Android - what's in your pocket?

I WANT TO BELIEVE

I’m really liking Pie so far. The volume switch thing makes sense, the task switcher is way better, and it seems even easier on the battery than Oreo.

Same here, but why do they have to start deployment everywhere but the US?

I’ve really liked this phone so far, but I’m getting pretty tired of waiting for a real OS update. They’ve been teasing this since the Spring. It’s always just over the next hill, they swear.

So I canceled my order from this morning and am thinking to myself, maybe I should get the LG G7 ThinQ for $400.

D:

Thoughts QT3 Android users?

GF really loved her G7 at $700 or whatever launch price was; getting down to close to half of that is a crazy deal. Awesome camera, great speed and battery, etc.

@ArmandoPenblade does she still have it? Or did something happen?

I have never spent so much on a phone before, but I was going over specs compared to the Moto X4 and its pretty much better in every way possible, even has gorilla glass 5 front and back.

I have a V30 and it is a fine phone.

Still got it. I thought about changing that tense but I was sleepy :)

I hate that Pie moved the clock at the top to the left and limited the number of displayed notifications just to accommodate those awful notched displays. I don’t have a notched display, give me my properly designed notification bar back.

They’ve moved away from button text being ALL CAPS to Title Case. Which takes some getting used to, and can be confusing when it’s used for a button with no background.

The new task switcher is pretty much a clone of the iPhone task switcher, which means it sucks. You can only see a single app image at a time, and it scrolls horizontally, which is objectively less convenient than scrolling vertically.

There’s no longer an onscreen button for the app drawer. You just have to know to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to summon it. This is an exceptionally stupid design decision. They’re clearly designing the UI for themselves now instead of for people who barely know how to work a smartphone.

I actually really like the new app switcher. It makes more sense to my brain. And if you use Nova Launcher, you can change the home button to whatever you like, including the app drawer. I currently have it to two-finger swipe down.

I got the V30 last week, loving it. They had a BOGO free deal so got the G7 for my wife to replace her Samsung S7 which has had a shattered glass back since she bought it (dropped it a few weeks after buying it a day before the case she ordered arrived! though you can’t tell with the case).

She refuses to use anything other than a Samsung, even her old beat up one, so I am keeping the G7 ThinQ as a backup. Only played around with it for a bit. Feels good to hold, screen looks great. Has the latest Qualcomm processor so it should be great (V30 had previous gen processor and is incredibly speedy).

By the way, if you are into good quality sound, both the V30 and G7 have high quality DACs and amps that can power high impedance headphones. The V30 has no trouble powering my Sennheisser HD600s and sound fantastic (both phones also have mini SD card slots, have a 128GB in mine).

It sounds like they might have failed with discoverability (or introducing users to the feature), but that’s not the same thing as usability. Once you know how to do it, it works (really well, from my POV). I was skeptical, but I’ve been won over by gestures now. Some of them, anyway.

This seems to work really well for Apple. I borrowed my brother’s iPod back in the day, and just couldn’t figure out how to work it. He laughed when he saw me so flustered, since I can usually figure anything out after playing with it for a few seconds. He had to show me how it worked, and then it was easy. Same thing every time I borrow my boss’ iPhone, I get really flummoxed by it, and can’t figure out simple things by going in the menus and submenus, but then he shows me, and it all makes sense. But I can never just guess Apple’s devices and how they work, or happen upon them by accident. I always need to be shown first.

Not sure that I like the sound of Google trending towards the same UI design ideology though.

Sounds like the Snapchat school of software design. AKA bullshit.

Snapchat is my one area where I’m happy to already be an old man about things. Make your goddamn software make sense and label what shit is, goddamn.

Oh it’s absolutely a discoverability fail. And to gain what? The space of a single icon on the home screen. I could maybe understand if it was a global gesture, but it’s not. It only works in the launcher.

Their last few interface revisions just feel like rearranging deck chairs to try to make things easier that simply can’t be made easier.

It’s not global? Ow. Yeah that sucks.

So guys, Google is killing Inbox, and I’m livid. I love Inbox so much.

But fine, as long as Gmail gets stuff like snoozing, I’ll be fine.

Or so I thought. The Android Gmail app is behind Inbox in a few ways. It keeps switching inbox views on me, and it doesn’t support HTML signatures.

So might y’all know a good Android email app that both supports HTML signatures along with supporting snooze functionality? None of the apps I’ve tried have fit the bill.

Thanks!

So typical. I also love Inbox. I can’t actually articulate why I love it, I just do. I don’t know why Google always does this to us. It’s like the only thing they ever stick with is Chrome and Gmail.

Hah, and I just ditched Chrome because their latest update was terrible for me.

Fucking Google. God damnit.