Android - what's in your pocket?

Huh. I didn’t even know there was a thing called Inbox. Was it an app?

I use blue mail, I think it has snooze functionality. It has always worked pretty well for me.

WHAT! )(&%)#&)^@(#*@$@^$#&)(@&U$ /headexplode

Gmail has snoozing. It’s had it for years (? Feels like it, anyway).

Here are the options when you select snooze on an email your phone. They look different on desktop.

Gmail only got snoozing within the last year.

Pretty much how I feel. Maybe we can convince them to keep it before they kill it in March.

I need to replace my aging 5X. I want NFC, FP scanner, Vanilla Android (or at least decent updates), mid to low range price (<AUD$400). Would prefer smaller, not fussed about resolution, but would like a half decent camera for a change (Note 3 and 5X were both very average).

Thoughts on the Samsung J5Pro, Moto X4 and Nokia 6.1?

I am leaning towards the Nokia as it is the most recent release. Are they all going to be much of a muchness (Samsing’s update schedule aside)?

I’m replacing my aging 5X with a Xiaomi MI 8. I’m a bit nervous because the opinions about their OS skin aren’t that good. Let’s see…

The Nokia 6.1 is a bit of a lemon (issues at least with wifi and audio), and also seems to have been superseded by the 6.1 Plus just a few months later. I like what Nokia is doing, but maybe avoid that particular model.

I’m happy with my X4, but I’m fairly new to using a smartphone. The camera seems pretty good in well lit areas. The battery can last over a day unless I really use it a lot.

Why an X4 and not a G6?

My G6 at least doesn’t have NFC.

Huh. The UK model does.

huh weird. I went to double check and yeah, at least the US model does not have NFC: https://www.motorola.in/products/moto-g-gen-6#promo-vendor

Depending on your carrier you could import an international model and stick a US SIM in it. Probably still cheaper than an X4.

Doing a follow-up, about my new Xiaomi Mi 8, I have a few nitpicks:

-As other Xiaomi smartphones, their DRM level isn’t high enough, so some paid video apps (ie. Netflix) won’t play video in HD. I don’t care about Netflix, but surprisingly I found it also affected HDR videos in youtube (it’s like it doesn’t use the correct colors), which is a pity because this phone has a nice hdr10 amoled display. And yes, it’s a drm thing, I could download sample hdr videos and watch them with mx player, and the colors are then accurate.

-The speaker isn’t stereo. Again I don’t care because I won’t watch anything longer than a 7 minute youtube video, and for music I will use headphones, but it’s puzzling because physically the phone looks like it has dual speakers. It doesn’t.

-Google voice (the voice match, ie. saying ‘ok google’ to activate it) doesn’t work. Now, from what I read this is a bug that comes from the google side of things which is already 3 months old, and affects several brands.

And then we reach the notifications issues:

• The notification led is only white, it isn’t rgb for multiple color notifications.
  • There are no notification icons in the notification bar. It sounds stupid, i know. I guess they didn’t have space with the notch. You of course still has notifications if you expand the bar, and emergent notifications, and notif in the lock screen, and notification bubbles in the app icons, so it isn’t like you can’t see them.
  • Some notifications apps like Gmail didn’t have the ‘quick actions’ to reply, or delete the email. That sucks.

-The native home app laucher is eww, it dosn’t have a proper app drawer. Thanks god it can be fixed so easily (nova launcher, evie, action launcher, so many more).

All together sounds like not the best smartphone to buy, but literally I’m doing a list of all the bad parts I found. In reality the phone is pretty good thanks to the cheap price for the hardware you are buying (420€ including shipping for top of the line specs, good display, good camera, 3400mh battery, nfc, quick charge 4.0, dual gps, dual sim, good metal + glass build, 3d face unlock)

For anyone who doesn’t follow all of Google’s app tweaking (ie: me), News and Weather was shut down yesterday in favor of Google News. This is strictly worse for my use, since News is a 5x2 widget and doesn’t have a 4 day forecast. Any recommendations on a good Weather widget?

I use a couple. Fancy Widgets for my main homepage, which combines a clock and weather-at-a-glance — mainly because it has one similar to what I used to have on my HTC phone when I first switched to Android. Then on another homepage the BBC Weather widget which gives me more granular weather data including a week view on the widget itself and an hour-by-hour view if I click through.

Incidentally, Google has also killed the very useful Google Now widget, or whatever it was most recently called, and replaced it with a completely rubbish thing that doesn’t show any cards at all.

Isn’t that the goal? Replace the open source versions with Google version, making manufacturers more and more reliant on Google and making open source Android a worse option?

I don’t think any of them were open source. They’ve just taken their existing proprietary widgets and made them shittier.

The Google Now widget is kind of redundant now that you have a whole page that’s easily accessible all the time that shows that info. Long Press on the center button at the bottom and it opens up all the google now stuff.