Android - what's in your pocket?

Mail and a few other app we’re part of the original Android Open Source project but have been deprecated. I thought this might be part of the same push to privatize the best of Android.

1weather is my jam.

That’s only true if you’re using the Google launcher. And the whole point of wdigets is that you don’t have to press any buttons to see the info.

So, Pixel 3.

$799 credit to Project Fi if you buy two and one of those is for someone new to your plan.

Need to figure out how to game this. I will absolutely buy two Pixel 3s for $400 apiece.

Hmmmm. Yeah, how would I do this?

Can I use the two phones for me and my wife and add my son who is a toddler, and then turn off the account after the required minimum months?

Right? Idk. But I want, so obviously I should be given.

I find it funny that it is the weather portion you wish to replace. The new Google News is horrible after the format of the previous. No dark mode, stupid huge boxes - get off my lawn!

Oh, no – to be clear I never used the news portion of it at all. I used (the also now replaced) Google Now so… crap. Google needs to keep their tinkering to the stuff I don’t care about!

Does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive android device that’s the size of a phone but doesn’t need to be a phone? My kids listen to podcasts and Google Play Music, and I’ve been giving them my old (inactive from a cell plan standpoint) phones. After one phone that got the screen cracked badly and another that is no longer holding a charge, I’m out of old phones.

I’m looking for really inexpensive because both kids lost their devices (one was found after 2.5 months, another after 1 month) and odds are high that if I get them something new it will be lost or broken again. It would need Google Play support for the GPM playback and podcast app, but not a lot else.

Maybe a Fire Tablet?

The kids actually have Fire tablets (one of my best purchases ever), but I was hoping for a phone-size device because they use them a lot when we’re walking or working around the house and tablets don’t really fit in your pocket.

I’d just keep an eye out for deals on prepaid phones that you just don’t bother to activate. Sometimes you’ll see the lower end Motorola phones on sale in the $40 range.

Buy an Amazon branded phone, they are very inexpensive.

These BLU android phones that support MicroSD expandable storage are 50 bucks apiece, unlocked.

Because I threw my just bought iPhone down the toilet yesterday (litterally), I am back using some antiquated Android toy. It’s an Xperia T3, and something bugs me: there is no notifications on the lock screen. I tried looking around, to no avail. I got suggestions to download some apps, that sure as hell do absolutely nothing to the lock screen.
So is the lock screen locked into its unusefulness?
It’s running Android 4.4, and can’t be upgraded, as far as I can tell.

Drop that phone down the toilet also. :)

Lock Screen notifications were added in 5.0 so yea, you’re stuck.

Dang. Thank you very much for the info.

Every time I hear about someone dropping their phone in the toilet, I can’t help thinking, “How on Earth?” Is it because it was bare and thus slippery what with the glass back and all that (I don’t “get” glass backs for just that reason)?

No, it was merely gravity: I woke up, put on my canadian jacket, the phone happened to be in the top right pocket from the previous evening (I put it there when I want to listen to podcast, headphone-less). I dragged my coffee-deprived self to the toilet, did what clueless males do and peed standing, then bent over for the flush. Drame ensues.

This will go on as a spinoff to a famous @RichVR topic starring @stusser, but I used to take the habits, when living with my wife, to sit on the toilets no matter what, as to help with the splatter and before it is more comfortable anyway — and because I had already lost an iPod to the male body positionning before. Now getting an old fashioned, upper flush could have helped in both case too.

Ironically, I had taken off a cover a few weeks before, because it made it difficult for me to pull the phone out of any of my pockets. Duh.