Android - what's in your pocket?

Iphones have been water resistant for several years, going back to the 6s. Unless you have a truly ancient one, it should be fine after being dropped in the crapper.

So you used to sit down to pee? So inconvenient! You did that in public washrooms too?

Can you link me one? I tried searching Amazon for an Amazon branded phone and all I found were the Prime exclusive phones that started around $130.

Thanks. It’s a good price for an unlocked phone, but according to the page it’s running Android 4.4, which is almost 5 years old? That seems an odd choice, especially given that they’ve got other phones with more recent builds.

I think at the moment I’m leaning towards prepaid. There’s several phones at about $40 that have 16GB internal storage, 1.1GHz processor, 2GB, and newer versions of Android. Some of them are running Android Go, which I hadn’t heard of, but seems to be a slimmed down version with lighter apps. Sounds like a good thing?

Yeah, they start around $100 now. Used to be a bit cheaper. Difference is they are all actual usable phones, not toys.

Yesterday the phone was having big issues, today it booted. I reinitiated it, as it was panicking all the time, and it turns out the touch ID has been fried. Now that I disabled it, it’s working nicely again.

Ah, sorry didn’t look too closely at the age of that model.

The BLU Advance 5.2 HD is 59 bucks unlocked and has Android Oreo. Since the latest Android P was only released in the last several weeks, it’s quite current.

You’d want a microsd card since it only has 8gb internal storage, but I’d imagine it should have longevity as a music player.

I haven’t checked out prepaid’s, but if there’s a decent model for $40, sounds like a plan.

Ahhhhh fuck.

Don’t sweat it, BR. Our PH-1s will be near flagship spec for another year at least. Have you seen the new Pixel? I’d still choose the PH-1 over it…

I agree, totally, just sad it didn’t get the love it deserves.

The new Discover that replaced Google Now is awful. Consistently showing articles from months ago. If it’s a subject I’m interested in I’ve already heard whatever news they’re talking about and if it isn’t Google shouldn’t be showing it anyway.

Oh, I did find a “close enough” replacement for the weather portion of News and Weather. weawow has nice customizable widgets in a bunch of sizes including the 4x1 multi day forecast I was missing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.weawow&hl=en_US

Google news has a dark mode now and you can turn on mini boxes in the settings. I don’t notice much of a difference between it and the old one.

Yep, I went back and found that dark mode is there now. Now my only ‘big’ gripe is that I can’t override the in-app ‘browser’ - Ads drive me insane. I tend to use just news.google.com now from whatever browser I choose that had all the ad-blocking built in. But then I lose dark mode again. Hah!

New B&N Nook 10" tablet. It’s thirty bucks cheaper than the Amazon 10" tablet and comes with the play store installed. Pretty amazing value. No obvious gotchas, IPS high-DPI display, reasonable 2nd gen iPad style bezels, 32GB storage, AC 5Ghz wireless, and even a micro SDcard slot! Really not bad for $130.

Oh yeah and it has a headphone jack too, so it beats the iPad there.

My wife might well be interested, she still uses Barnes and Noble for ebooks.

I notice it never mentions the weight…

Got to be around 1.5 pounds, the thing is made of plastic at this price point. But I’d wait a week and a half for reviews before buying.

Google play store has a coupon today. Got $5.

Open the play store on your phone and then scroll down till you see a blue banner.

Wonder how much RAM it has. My Fire HD 7 is so ungodly slow.

It’s cheap as balls, so maybe 2GB if you’re lucky. Wait on reviews.

Scrolled as far as it would go, nothing. Maybe was only limited time?

Yeah I couldn’t see anything either.