Android - what's in your pocket?

The Google store thing is just for ebooks, I think. I had to swipe over to the Books tab in the store for it to show up.

I kept looking in every tab and didn’t find it in the book tab either.

After your post, I looked closer in the book tab and found that audiobooks are a separate sub-tab under books, and that had a $5 coupon for getting an audiobook over $5.

So I guess I’ll be on the lookout for good audiobooks available on Google Play store now. Their selection seems very limited compared to Audible though.

Weird, mine was in the home tab.

Edit:. Android police link where I was informed

I found one for $2. I’m guessing Google is running some kind of promo marketing test, and it’s a random assortment of folks getting between nothing and $5 credits. Some marketing analyst is going to have fun making pretty charts and graphs showing how much extra spending results in each group.

I got $5 on books that cost more than $5. There are too many free Kindle books for me to bite.

As long as it’s not less than 2GB this is instandly one of the best deals on an Android 10" tablet out there. Almost everything else in this price range has half the storage and a worse screen. You have to spend $300-400 to get something better.

Agreed, I really don’t think I’d buy an android device with <2GB RAM. Of course the CPU is going to be some mediatek POS, but that’s fine for the standard tablet stuff.

Oooh. I’ve been pretty pissy trying to find a replacement for my old 7 inch Nexus tablets that my youngest daughter loves. They are old as hell now, but there’s not much to pick from these days that aren’t like $300, or have garbage resolutions.

That looks like a good potential option.

Wow, your N7 is still going? it’s got to be like 5-6 years old now. Mine died in like 2015.

I really liked that thing.

Two of them are still chugging, but it’s only a matter of time before they kick the bucket.

So, it looks like the Nokia 6.1 is on sale for 200, which means it will probably be near that price on black Friday. How does it compare to other phones at that price point?

Both my wife and I are looking to upgrade, and the Honor 6x just feels off these days.

@jsnell posted this a while back when I asked about them in comparison to a J6Pro and Moto X4.

My Nexus 7 2013 got so slow as to become useless, because every time you turned it on it would have to d/l and install eleventy one app updates.* Plus the sensor that let you rotate the screen between landscape and portrait modes basically died so I set it to permanent landscape mode before I finally gave up on it.
*and thus become completely unresponsive.

Well, a lemon implies a one off situation, but I am assuming @jsnell believes it’s more common issue.

Pouring one out for the N7. We loved ours too.

I’d pick up that Nook tablet for my daughter if I hadn’t gotten her an $80 Fire 10" refurb. That thing is fine for her, and the parental controls are actually quite good, but I could never put up with the so-called Fire OS.

I bought a 6.1 (3/32) in an emergency to replace my aging MotoX Pure due to battery dying. It’s ok, nothing special other than security and OS updates. It was definitely better than the old phone.

However, I had already pre-ordered the 7.1, so that arrived at the end of October, so my son is now using the 6.1.

I don’t do anything more strenuous than stream music and use GPS while driving, so both are ok for these tasks. Never had WiFi or network issues(AT&T).

For Moto G5+ owners on the retus software channel: check for system updates: I did today and Oreo 8.1 is downloading now!

OK, one question about Oreo (something that looks different from how it looked on Nougat):

Is there a way to make the control center (or whatever you call the one you pull down from the top where you control screen brightness etc.) have a dark theme as was the case with 7.0? I can’t find the setting for it.

By the way, I’ve got a weird Android issue on my Pixel 2XL that I wonder if anyone might be able to help with. At some point recently, the navigation bar stopped disappearing. It’s just permanently there. I can’t figure out how it happened or how to get rid of it, though to be honest I don’t mind it being there - I didn’t like Android’s move to a disappearing bar in the first place. I’d just like to know what happened. I’m using Nova Launcher, though I’ve checked all the settings and can’t see anything relevant.

My Droid apparently updated to Oreo (8.0 it says) back in July. I didn’t even notice lol.