Android - what's in your pocket?

US plans are ridiculous. I have one here (China) that is around $20 for 10GB and effectively unlimited everything else per month. Most other Asian countries even cheaper it seems. What the hell is going on with US plans?

Oligarchy and open spaces.

One thing I did discover that does kind of suck: you can’t use the OK Google thing anymore on this phone to unlock it. When I asked about it on the motoG5 subreddit someone replied that according to Google, that is “working as designed” for this phone, even though it worked fine in 7.0. Don’t know what the rationale for that is. Not “flagship” enough, maybe?

I think they changed it to “Hey Google”. I haven’t tried it yet, but I got a system notification on my phone earlier this week saying so, and that I should train my phone to respond.

OTOH, you’re talking about a different phone, so maybe not.

Hmm, I saw something like that too, but if that were the case you’d think the text prompt would ask you to say “Hey Google” and it didn’t IIRC.

Any of you guys with pixel phones used the next version of Google’s camera app?

It’s got this night sight feature which is absolutely insane. It basically just takes a bunch of pictures in the dark, then does crazy magic, and creates an image… That isn’t dark. Like, you can use it in a room where you can barely see, and then the picture is clear and looks like it was reasonably well lit. Not grainy or anything.

And it’s all done with software. Amazing stuff.

As an example, here’s a picture taken with and without it… Neither has a flash. The first image is basically how it really looked. It was that dark.

Holy lord.

K, tried to sideload a APK with the camera, but it keeps crashing. Sigh, I really wanted to try it.

Vanilla Android 4 LYFE, yo.

Ohhh, I found one that works. I downloaded the “Latest Release” here.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78054690&postcount=3

Wow, this is nice.

I have an Essential, so I’m on vanilla.

Maybe French vanilla.

Holy crap this IS magic.

Weird, seems like it only works with cats.

Is there a way to add/remove sites from my news feed? Right now it seems to be pulling stuff from my Chrome bookmarks. On Windows Phone I could pick my own news sources.

Specifically calico cats. What about regular cats?

Calicos are the best.

Oh, i need to try it with Max, who is black.

Man. Bunch of nothing so far, phone deal wise.

Hmmm so Pixel 3 has $400 off today at the Project Fi store.

$200 back , $200 fi credit.

https://fi.google.com/account?utm_source=project_fi&utm_campaign=Black_Friday_2018_Current&utm_medium=email#buydevices

Gonna do it I think. Now which Pixel 3 is the question.