Android - what's in your pocket?

I also got a Pixel 3 during the Black Friday sales. One thing to remember when transferring to a new phone, if you are using google authenticator for 2 factor auth, nothing transfers.

You’ll need your old phone to login to the various places and switch it over to your new phone. Unless you are one of the rare people that keeps the codes that are also given when you first set it up.

Or just use Authy. It has a desktop app you can use for 2FA.

Authy is fantastic! Shout out.

Also, I really enjoy the tabula rasa of a new phone. You people and your jiggabytes of WhatsApp messages…you are strange people to me.

Embrace the ephemeral nature of your digital life. I stopped hoarding a few years back and it is fantastic.

Whereas I sometimes enjoy reading back over the high school chat logs that eventually flowered into my current relationship, stored in immortal HTML forevermore :)

Goddamn I was not a smooth teenager.

Think of how empty your life would be without that repeated experience ;)

I do like having Pulse so I don’t lose my texts with my wife, but that’s it.

brother u just 2 LA 4 me

So for mine, the case fits great and doesn’t leave any black on my hands. But my screen protector doesn’t seal tight with the screen around the entire edge of it. It’s not noticeable when the screen is on but when its off you can tell it doesn’t have complete contact.

I’ll live with it for now, as no screen protector gives me the panic sweats. :p

My transfer of everything from my Nexus 5 to Pixel 3, took around 20 minutes. It was around 5.7 gig of data. And yes my Pixel 3 got very warm near the fingerprint reader.

Yeah, mine took 3 hours, so it was super hot.

Luckily it never got that hot again.

The day before yesterday it got pretty warm at the top of the phone, so I got a little worried, but then I realized that an hour earlier when I’d used the flashlight, I’d forgotten to turn it back off. Hahahah. On my Nexus 6p such a mistake would have meant that my phone would have been dead in an hour, but here it just meant it got hot. (and used about 33% power).

Any idea what is different about the charger that comes with the pixel 3?

I tried a usb-c cable that I have hooked up to my PC and it said charging slowly.
I tried using my old Nexus 5x charge cable on my Pixel 3 and it said charging.
I then tried the new Pixel 3 cable (white) and it said charging rapidly.

The Nexus 5 has a micro USB port, so you can’t use its cable on the Pixel 3. All Pixels are powered through USB-C ports.

USB-C chargers have a wide variety of power output profiles, since they can be used to charge everything from phones to laptops. I don’t have a Pixel 3, but I do have a first-gen Pixel. And the first gen Pixel charger is great, capable of putting out more power than most other small USB-C chargers. I suspect the Pixel 3 charger is equally good.

Nexus 5x, missed typing the X. :p

Its usb-c.

Ok. I’m pretty sure that Nexus 5x cable is USB 2 to USB-C, in other words the ends don’t match. And I bet that the Pixel 3 charger has two matching USB-C ends.

If so, USB 2 chargers deliver less power than (good) USB C chargers, even if it ends up in the same type of plug at the other end. You can confirm this by looking at the specs written on the charger itself. I believe my Pixel has 2 amps at 9V, which is 18 W. Whereas USB 2 chargers are usually 10 W or less (0.5, 1, or 2 amps at 5V IIRC).

Ah ok, well my Pixel 3 charger says 5v=3.0A /// 9v=2.0A

Anyway it charged from 46% to 100% really fast! :D

Pretty sure the Pixel 3 charger uses 18W while earlier Pixels had 10W or 15W chargers. And I think later chargers use different/updated Power Delivery specs or features too.

Yes, that sounds about right. So there are two delivery modes, 15 W (5V, 3A) or 18W (9V, 2A). The former is typical of USB-C phones, for example my new LG phone. The latter is slightly unusual, and it accounts for the fast charging. It’s also the reason why people sometimes look for Pixel chargers as a compact substitute for the more power-hungry Nintendo Switch.

My first gen Pixel definitely has 18W. I traded in the phone, but I’ll never give up the charger!

Oh, huh. I misplaced my original Pixel XL charger, so I only have the new one handy. And I have a Pixel stand, which Google enabled fast wireless charging using its full wattage vs how third-party accessories charged at a lower speed or something.

This modern reboot of Braveheart was such a bad idea.