Android - what's in your pocket?

Oh weird, Gizmodo has an axe to grind? I’m shocked!

E: oh I see, this is editorially mandated hatin’ for clicks. Got mine, I guess. What a weird list of minor complaints to try and support the conclusion that “Google doesn’t care about hardware.” Which is ultimately followed by “I still think the Pixel 3 is the best phone for most people.” Maybe the article would work better as a roast? Ugh. Tech bloggery is actually worse than video game bloggery.

Thanks for the response! I’ve done a factory reset and also disabled that “adaptive battery” feature thats supposed to improve battery usage, but seems to do the opposite.

So now I can usually make it to the evening at least. Still worse than it was before the Pie update, but at least usable again.

The only thing I noticed is it improves “standby”. If the phone doesn’t physically move it can last a while on a table. This morning I used it for webbrowsing, an hour and I was down to 70% bat.

Also watch that adaptive brightness it’s very strange. When it pumps up to 100% battery dies faster.

Yeah… I’ve deselected the adaptive brightness and have it set at about 50%, increasing it a bit when necessary.

I can’t stand adaptive brightness, never have been able to. It’s so distracting to me when my phone changes brightness while I’m looking at it.

After typing that reply I went to pay attention, that stupid thing went from 0% to 100% (up and down) in the same 20 minute trip.

I just turned mine off, I didn’t even know there was such a setting.

Adaptive brightness works pretty well for me on all my phones so far. It does gobble up batteries when it gets super bright. But with that brightness out in the bright sun, I wouldn’t be able to see what’s on the screen, so it’s working as designed, for me at least. (At least on OnePlus One, Nexus 6p and now Pixel 3).

I’ve always turned Adaptive Brightness off, for the same reason. I find it jarring, and batteries these days do better than they used to anyway, IMO.

My Pixel 2 XL arrived yesterday, WAY ahead of schedule. Pretty happy with how Google managed my expectations on shipping. I picked up this case…

And while I like it, I’d really prefer a vertical flip case instead, because it’s much easier to flip open one-handed. But I’m not seeing anything good on Amazon. Anyone have a recommendation? The same company that makes this used to make vertical flip cases, and I loved the one I had for my Nexus 5x.

I like adaptive brightness. The only time it gives me trouble is when I’m in between light and dim. Sometimes the screen doesn’t get bright enough.My battery lasts a long time. At 8PM I’m at 71%. Granted I’m not a heavy phone user but it works pretty well for me.

Good lord, you’ve turned your phone into the Necronomicon.

I was going to say it looked like a piece of well-browned toast…

Hah!

That’s the seller’s stock photo of it. This is mine:

Which is lighter in color than I would have preferred, now that I’m looking at it in person.

But mainly it’s the flipping direction that I’d like to change. The one I had for my Nexus 5x could flip open one-handed like an STOS Communicator.

Edit: the use case for me is when I need to do something quick with the phone while i’m holding something else in my other hand, such as a book, or while I’m sitting on my bike (not while in motion).

Sad, I love my Essential.

Shit, the $250 headphone adapter didn’t save it?

We are sold out of Essential Phone on essential.com and won’t be adding any new inventory. We are now hard at work on our next mobile product and will continue to sell accessories and provide speedy software updates and customer support to our existing community.

I’m hoping they have something new by mid to late 2019, otherwise I’ll probably switch to OnePlus (7?).

Yeah, same, since the latest Pixels seem a step down, honestly.

Agreed. I know the cameras are amazing (had a Nexus 6P), but I don’t think the advantage is big enough to warrant the lame industrial design.

Whats the consensus on good podcast apps?
I’ve been using Podcast Addict and its ok, though it crashes quite frequently on my pixel. Thus I’m looking for an alternative option… eg I’ve read that google has stepped in and created an app? Has anyone here used that?