Android - what's in your pocket?

I use Podcast Addict. The UI is indeed a bit of a mess, but I’m used to navigating the settings and I’ve been able to transfer my data/subs to new phones without issues, so I will stick with it for now.

All righty, let’s see them. This is Podcast Addict, for reference.

The only thing I really don’t like about PocketCasts is that you can’t search the episode descriptions, which makes finding specific old episodes a pain. This despite the devs touting it as a likely future feature for years. Does Podcast Addict let you do that?

Aye aye cap’n.

Guess it’s been a long time since I first listened to podcasts on Android using Doggcatcher.

I use BeyondPod for podcasts. I tried Pocket Casts, but its playlist doesn’t seem to offer as many features.

For example with BeyondPod, I can set it up to play the oldest unplayed episode from the History of Rome podcast, followed by a random unplayed episode from the “Humor” subgroup, followed by the oldest podcast in the “Gaming” subgroup, then the latest from the “News” subgroup, and then cycle back to the top. There doesn’t seem to be anything remotely comparable in Pocket Casts.

I think you can set up a playlist but probably nothing more complicated than that. It seems handy but I’ve never bothered to take advantage of it. I just manually select the next podcast I want to listen to once I’ve finished the previous one.

Yeah it has basic categories like downloaded, unplayed, video etc, but no real smart playlist feature. Which is a bit lame, but it’s not something I’d ever use except for searching anyway, so it could be addressed by a proper search function.

Oh hey, when I take a picture with my Pixel 3, I now get a tiny video clip also!
Is this new? I’ve been using the phone a month now, first time I noticed it.

It’s not new. You probably have a lot of motion clips in your archive.

I obviously do not understand my phone, and wish it would flip open like in the olden days.

I’m pretty happy with the last update of the Xioami phones, the on-sleep battery drain has been improved even more. On my MI 8, I’m at 28% battery left, after 2.5 hours of screen use, for a total of 3 days, 12 hours since the last charge.

apparently bg app usage/killing is a problem with certain brands of android mfrs:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18901006

Yes. I fight an endless war against Samsung’s battery management regime, which seems to reactivate itself across OS updates and obviously across phone upgrades. It is my greatest foe.

Well, that, or uneaten Dairy Queen Blizzards. One of the two.

How could a sweet DQ Blizzard be anyone’s foe?

I feel like the Blizzards don’t rejoice at my devouring then whole, at least.

That just means you have more Blizzard for later.

Well, now I know what I’m doing for lunch dessert tomorrow.

Yaaaayyyyyyyy!

I’ve had the upside-down Blizzard demo fail horribly and scar me for life.