Android - what's in your pocket?

$2600 CAD. Jeez.

It’s an interesting phone from a technical perspective, but I wonder what the real-world usage will be for it in unfolded mode?

I wouldn’t be surprised if most people who get just won’t use it in unfolded mode much, beyond the novelty factor. If that turns out to be the case, you’ve basically bought yourself a heavier, thicker standard smartphone for twice the price.

Why didn’t they drill holes in the screen? For $2k you should get at least one satisfying, decorative hole.

They did that with the S10.

The original dual screen foldable phone that I rocked in 2012!

The S10 packs a lot of high-tech stuff into a phone. Ultrasonic thing a jig, a bag of camera lenses, wireless charging (not just of the phone but of other devices using the phone), 128Gb standard, 855 chip, new and better OLED display which looks fantastic.

I love the wide-angle camera and would consider one for that, but I need to know if Samsung is finally able to tone down the clown-vomit color saturation, because colors and skin-tones from my Pixel just look light-years better than the S9.

Man, my S9+ has multi-lenses and I have no idea if I’m even using both/all of them when shooting. If it’s not automatic, I’m guessing no.

How many phones had ports for earphones? I could do with less courage from phone makers.

Those mini-jack ports take up a fair amount of internal space (affecting battery life) and also affect waterproofing.

Don’t care. Want jacks

I don’t understand the desire to use wired headphones at this point.

No need to worry about charging, no need to worry about loosing them, backwards compatibility, better sound quality, better price, no need to worry about syncing them, no need to have blue booth on all the time and I have earphones that I like.

There just isn’t anything on the market that is as good.

Rhythm games don’t work with bluetooth headphones. The lag is inconsistent. Also, I use my phone as a Roku remote and with bluetooth the total lag (Roku to phone to headphones) causes lip sync issues. Yes, I usually use wireless for most applications, but there are a few use cases where wired headphones are useful. That said, I’d happily use a USB-C-to-headphone adapter if there’s no lag with that.

My g6 arrived yesterday. The phone itself is fine. It’s a slight step back in responsiveness from my Pixel, but not really all that noticeable. The battery life is about 5x better, power button works, USB-C connector works. And it’s got a fingerprint sensor. I’m a little annoyed that my model doesn’t have an NFC chip (apparently European ones do.) I’d gotten used to using the phone to pay for things. But that’s a minor issue (and probably better for security.) I do like that the g6 includes Moto gestures, like the double karate chop to turn on the flashlight. I missed that feature from my Pixel.

One weird issue. My Pixel is running Pie. The g6 runs Oreo. If you’re downgrading operating systems with a new phone, you can’t do a direct transfer of all of your settings to the new phone. I had to manually install all of my apps, manually change all my settings, manually sync my contacts, etc. It wasn’t that big a pain, but took me a couple of hours.

Adding onto the pile on:

Bluetooth to my car stereo and Oontz Angle speaker are both detectably lower quality than wired connections to both devices, with audible static and compression artifacts. There is substantial lag introduced by Bluetooth that results in lip sync issues and messes with games as well. The actual audio experience is undeniably worse.

Syncing occasionally still just fails and needs me to restart Bluetooth mode or repair the devices or even reboot my phone. And god forbid your wanna quickly switch between two or more paired devices (e.g. sharing the stereo on a long road trip). The convenience and ease of use experience is noticeably worse.

Bluetooth seems to use more battery life on my phone, Bluetooth devices need to be charged themselves, and most USB-C to 3.5mm adapters don’t let you charge and play audio simultaneously (again, like on long road trips where you’re navigating and the phone may be in direct sunlight on a mount, further reducing battery life). So overall, the power experience is just worse by a wide margin.

Bluetooth headsets cost far more at almost every audio quality band. Adapters for existing wired solutions are an unnecessary expense. In the anecdata of friends, tiny wireless earbuds are also just easier to lose, necessitating replacement. From a cost standpoint, Bluetooth is just worse.

I’m frankly baffled that anyone who gives half a shit about music on their device would ever consider switching willingly.

You guys know that 3.5mm jacks just aren’t going to come back, right? I get preferring wired versus wireless (I do too). But adapters or wired headphones that are already jacked right is the best you’re going to get.

Phone manufacturers will not go back and sacrifice that much internal space for a 3.5mm jack.

Modem Android phones and good headphones support AptX Bluetooth which actually has lower latency (45ms) than wired headphones (60ms).

I don’t play rhythm games, so i doubt i would ever have noticed even the 200ms delay from standard Bluetooth.

I’m not sure you can actually say this authoritatively at this point. There’s nothing about the connection which prohibits transmission of the audio at the quality you would normally actually have on your phone.

Technically, the sound quality supported by AptX is better than the quality of anything sold on say, the iTunes store.

I’m no audiophile though. I’m just going by the specs.

Its an older list, but there are still a few still kicking and screaming.

But Mobile world congress is just around the corner. I’m curious what is coming up.

60 ms for wired headphones doesn’t seem right, do you have a cite?

Some random Googling on my part came up with 7 ms, but if you have a more authoritative source I’d like to read it.

I switched from the Pixel to the LG v35 specifically because it had a 3.5mm jack. And the LG is a great phone. It’s actually thinner than the iPhone X but has a larger battery. And it’s IP68 water resistant. And it has an FM radio, and inductive charging. So much for the “wasted space” argument.

Nah, just some test some dude did. I’m not sure what his exact methodology was, but the latency he was getting for the bluetooth stuff was around the same as what folks used to suggest, at 200ms.

https://stephencoyle.net/latency

Regardless, the latency of an AptX bluetooth connection is gonna be less than 45ms… no human being is gonna notice that.