Android - what's in your pocket?

Sure. For instance, when I pull the trigger in Fortnite, I expect to hear “Bang!”, not “… Bang!” And yes, I know that inputs already have some lag. But an extra 45 ms on top of that can be noticeable.

Good question. I don’t know how 22 ms was chosen.

I have B&O h9i’s, a beoplay A1 and Sony SRS X88. For phones, I have an lg v30 with a quad dac and a Sony Xperia xz1 compact.

The H9i and beoplay A1 only support AAC, the SRS-X88 supports aptx hd and LDAC.

The H9i also accepts a 3.5mm connection.

The H9i with the LG v30 tricked into high impedance mode blows away playing on Bluetooth via AAC, the beoplay A1 with aac sounds better than the srs-x88 playing with either LDAC or AptX HD.

As for headphone poets, any explanation I’ve read for removing them was about reducing the depth of the phone, not freeing up space for more battery or whatever. I mean, they tend to be in a part of the phone that in teardowns isn’t necessarily utilised for much else!

(Despite being a lower aitrate than AptX, aac is a higher quality due to compression - much higher latency though)

Petition to make @kedaha’s flair “headphone poet”

Two of them are speakers :(

That did not measure the latency of playing the sound. It measured the latency of the touch screen detecting the touch, the event being passed through the full software stack (OS and application), and then the latency in the reverse order of the application initiating playing a sound, that action passing through the whole software stack, and then the hardware actually playing the sound. The latency for the first two parts of that chain is going to be on the order of 40-80ms on a modern phone.

Sorry, I don’t buy your “Bluetooth headphones with less latency than wired” theory.

These are iPhone tear downs? Apple took out the port with the 7, if I recall correctly. That’s the same model that had the taptic engine component introduced in that spot. At least with respect to iPhones, I haven’t seen a ton of extra internal space in tear downs.

Yeah, i think we processed beyond that point. Looks like it’s around 7ms, vs around 35ms for aptx?

Android has had terrible UI->audio latency for a long time, as I discovered when I was working on a Morse code input method. Vibration is just about responsive enough to work with, but the beeps threw me off entirely.

It was replaced by a ‘barometric vent’ whatever that is, though the taptic engine might have taken up a small amount of its space too?

On the XS/XS max, the top corner just has bare PCB and a ribbon, the depth doesn’t appear to be used by anything.

I mean, I’m sure more space is always useful but I’ve also not seen any evidence that the small amount of space freed up in any way benefits batteries that tend to rectangular anyway!

My wife and I have been using a pair of Samsung Galaxy S8’s for almost 2 years and generally like them. However, within the last couple of weeks she managed to break the screen on her phone and the USB port on the bottom of my phone is starting to fail. Local shops seem to want about $300 to fix both of them (mostly for that curved screen). Fortunately both phones are completely paid for so no worries about having to pay a balance on a broken device. So for the last week or so I have been doing some research into whether to fix or replace our phones and pulled the trigger on 2 Moto G6 phones from Google Fi this morning. Here was my logic:

• Cost of 2 new Moto G6 = $199 each plus tax = $430
  • Estimated trade-in value of both phones in their current state = $304 ($186 for mine and $118 for the one with a broken screen)
  • Google is offering $100 in bill credits when you activate a G6 on Fi (I think I only get one of these credits despite buying 2 phones as the terms say “only one per person”)

So assuming the trade-in and bill credits work out I will get 2 new phones for $430 - $304 - $100 = $26. Granted the G6 is a bit of a downgrade from the S8 in terms of specs, but I think the G6 offers some definite advantages of it’s own such as:

• No Samsung bloat-ware
  • Cheaper to fix/replace in the future
  • No curved screen means cases that can have a lip around the entire edge of the screen and screen protectors fit better and are easier to apply
  • Same sized battery (3000mAH), but lower-end specs = possibly better battery life
  • Based on our data usage Google Fi will be at most roughly the same price as our current t-mobile plan and possibly much cheaper if we curb our data usage somewhat

Neither of us are really demanding on our phones. We don’t play any demanding games. We don’t take a lot of pictures or video. As long as it can do texts, emails, web browsing, play music, and stream Netflix/YouTube we are happy. While there is certainly plenty of room to grow as far as the cutting edge of smart phone performance, I think we are swiftly approaching the territory of “good enough for most people” that desktop PC’s have been stuck in for about a decade. The Moto G6 seems like it will fit our most common use-cases perfectly for significantly cheaper than even fixing our existing flagship phones. Forget about paying for new ones!

Sounds like a solid plan. :)

I did exactly what you’re considering here: downgraded my Pixel 1 to a g6 a week ago. I haven’t regretted it. One advantage you didn’t list is that you can upgrade the g6’s internal memory with a fast SD card. My Pixel had 32GB that I had to keep shuffling stuff around to make room in. My new g6 now has 160GB. Net cost for my g6, including a new phone case and SD card, is negative because of the trade-in value of the Pixel and the promotional credits.

Other positive:

• The Moto gestures are awesome. I’m not sure why they’re not standard on every phone. I would almost always buy Moto phones just to have them. Specifically, you can shake the phone twice to activate the flashlight, and twist the phone back and forth in your hand to activate the camera and/or switch between front and rear cameras. On the Pixel I had to push the power button twice to fast-activate the camera, which wore out the power button after a couple of years. (One major reason I wanted a replacement.) And there was no way to easily turn the flashlight on in a pinch.

Negatives so far:

• I’m pretty sure the g6 is a little less snappy than the Pixel; it has a slightly clunkier UI feel. But I can’t point to anything specific herel; there’s just a subtly slower response.
  • The camera probably isn’t as good, but that’s a hard thing for me to notice. Here’s a comparison (not really a fair one because they’re not of the same thing, but similar scenery.)

Pixel:

Moto g6:

The g6 is less sharp, and it doesn’t have the HDR processing that the Pixel does automatically.

I look at those two pictures and they both look fine.

I mean, “landscapes in full daylight” isn’t the sort of scenario where less-exceptional cameras struggle.

Yeah, you have to compare a nighttime photo of the G6 compared to a NightSight photo from the Pixel.

Sure, and I haven’t had the phone long enough to try out the g6 in low light. (I take very few low light photos, apparently, looking back through my photos.) But I never got great images from the Pixel in low light. You just can’t compensate for having that tiny aperture. Here are a couple of Pixel photos:

The color is ok, but they’re not sharp, you get motion effects and light starbursts. The Pixel actually excelled most in bright light because it would use its HDR effect to prevent foreground objects from being silhouettes:

Picked up an LG G7 ThinQ the other day to replace my S8. Pretty happy with it. I’ve always loved LG’s double-tap to wake the phone and put it to sleep.

This is my first phone with a finger print reader and are they all shit? This thing works less then 20% of the time, which means it’s useless.

Try rescanning your fingerprint and make sure you place it in a different position on the reader for every scan. Mine on both my Pixel and my g6 have worked almost flawlessly. (Well, once I went rockclimbing in Joshua Tree for a weekend, which eroded all of my fingerprints and my sensor didn’t work for a couple of weeks until they grew back.)

The fingerprint reader on my LG V35 works great. As Matt_W wrote, make sure you train it correctly. Also, the fingertip needs to be dry and relatively clean, so for instance mine fails when I’m in the middle of cooking something.

Yeah, my N5X and P3 have both been basically flawless in the fingerprint sensor department.