Android - what's in your pocket?

Yeah, I do love the double tap. Never have trouble with the fingerprint reader on my Essential, or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 I recently picked up used.

I love the double-tap to unlock on my P3. It is much less consistent though, to the point that I get annoyed with it.

Glad to hear that the Moto G6 is a worthy successor to the G5 Plus. I can’t get over how well the battery does (in the G5) and I was surprised to find that it’s only 3,000mAh as I routinely get 2 full days out of it with some left to spare. I also love the gestures, especially the flashlight. The camera in my mind is only decent. Sometimes I find in lower light or in moving scenes I miss shots because the shutter is just way to slow (shutter delay, not shutter speed). It also can be a bit slow for the camera app to start up which means you sometimes miss a chance to get those kid shots. I also think that Motorola is way too slow to update their software. That’s a lot of negatives but there’s a lot of positives as you mentioned and you get a heck of a lot of phone for $230 CDN. I would totally love to have a Samsung S10 but I’m not about to shell out over 1K for one.

I am very excited that the S10 line has a headphone jack, and that they are releasing a cheaper version for a much more reasonable amount of money. (750) although the normal S10 of 900 is still 100 bucks cheaper than the XS.

My Galaxy s6 is feeling very old, and 750 sounds much more reasonable for a new phone to me. And it seems like the 150 dollar price difference is the loss of the telephoto camera, and the in screen fingerprint scanner, which I can live with. Same processor, storage, I think a little less ram? But livable.

Energizer is making the phone that everyone on QT3 says they want.

I’m teasing obviously!

I am not against chunky phones.

I would totally buy that if it were a flagship phone from Google or Samsung and not some off-label POS. It doesn’t look any thicker than my current phone once it’s got an Otterbox case on it.

Yeah, the issue with this stuff is you usually end up sacrificing something vital cuz no one wants to include everything properly.

Ideal: large, high rez, high-quality OLED screen that doesn’t fucking wrap around the sides of the phone so you can actually buy protective goddamned cases. Large, high-capacity, long-life battery that won’t shit the bed at 13 months. Headphone jack so that you don’t have to pretend that bluetooth doesn’t suck fucks. SD card slot so you never have to delete anything ever. Large internal memory cuz the same. Lots of RAM because I want to multi all the fucking tasks. Excellent camera(s) so that I can record super high def photos and videos of my concerts to my infinite storage space. Lightweight or nonexistent OS skin and promise of swift updates through at least 2 years. Strong stereo speakers that don’t sound like they’re blown out from day 1. Actually usable as a telephone with microphones that exist and also work. Heavy metal and plastic frame so that when you drop the phone four inches onto a plush mattress it doesn’t shatter into 10,000 fucking pieces.

Actual? Pick 5-8 of the 11 and pay $1000.

If they made a phone with all 11, but charged $2K for it, would you bite?

Yes. Shamefully so. I might even lie about it. But god yes.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_plus-9533.php

Moto G7 looks interesting. It has a headphone jack.

I was going to suggest Nokia, but the flagship phone doesn’t have a Headphone Jack, so that’s out, but I think I could afford $300.00 on the Moto G7 for myself.

I’m still on a Moto G5+, which has served me well. But you’re saying that Nokia upcoming mid-range models have lost the headphone jack? Ugh. I was thinking about going with Nokia for my next phone because they’re so much quicker with security and OS updates.
I really like having 4 GB of RAM in my current phone BTW, and I’m going to look for that in my next one.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_9_pureview-8867.php

Doesn’t look like it.

But that’s not a mid-range phone, surely. I thought I read very recently about another Nokia phone (perhaps introduced last year) that still had the headphone jack.

No, you are correct, that is a cheap high end phone.

That website should have all the Nokia phones on it and has a section dedicated to 3.5 ports though.

The new 4.2 and 3.2 aren’t quite as good as the new GUY series from Moto, but have 3.5 Jacks.
Maybe check out the 7.1, that was released last October? That still has the Jack as well.

Also, right now the Nokia 7.1 is on sale on Amazon for 300.00

I have a 7.1. it’s ok, good enough for the price. Biggest bright spot is that it is Android One and is keeping up with the system updates. My previous experience with Moto X Pure was not nearly as good (to be fair, the Android architecture was not there, but Moto fell down on thier promise to keep it up-to-date).

Today is my first full day of switching to a Moto G6 and so far it’s been perfectly fine. Not faster than my old phone (Samsung S8) which is to be expected, but not all that noticably slower in usual tasks. Overall it does the job very well and honestly it’s hard to tell that it costs litterally a quarter of the price of a new flagship phone. I’m sure the honeymoon period will wear off, but so far I’m happy with the purchase.

Funny thing. Now that they’ve announced the g7, the Fi store is selling the g6 for $99 with $100 Fi credit. I just bought this thing two weeks ago for nearly twice that. Oh well.

Dang. Makes me wish I’d waited a week as I just bought two G6’s from the Fi store on Sunday. I mean I’m still happy with the deal I got, but saving an extra $200 would definitely be nice.

So they are paying you $1 to buy a G6?