Anecdata on DX11 vs DX12 performance in specific games

DX12 runs worse:
Deus Ex: Mankind something something

Runs better:

The Division 2 runs 20% faster but guaranteed to crash/hang

Just thought this would be useful for those with shiny new 3000 cards.

Hahahaha remember when I was pimping DX12 like seven years ago? Good times, good times.

I’ve generally had better performance with dx12 in cpu bound games (i5 4 cores here, still). Stability hasn’t been much of an issue, but I’m using an rx580. My friend has an nvidia card and games frequently crash for him on dx12.

When Anno 1800 gets super full late-game, DX12 runs better, but it is guaranteed to crash every 5-20 minutes. Thus we’re stuck using DX11.

Most recent games seem to run better in DX12 but for a while there they were just “beta” unsupported modes that ran slower.

Guild Wars 2 works better in DX12. Sadly, you have to use a mod to get this support, as GW2 is actually a DX9 game.

MHW is significantly smoother in DX12 for me, also +about 15 frames

Warhammer 2 is in this boat - dx12 still in beta and 30% slower than dx11 while being unstable. Also, near as I can tell, no technical benefit to being in dx12 on that title.

Do you have any idea why DX11 would be faster than DX12? It’s not like DX12 hasn’t been out for years now, so it’s odd that there are still so many issues developers haven’t seemed to figure out. Technically DX12 should give developers them more control to generate slightly better performance.

No idea. Honestly in my experience any game I’ve tested DX11 is faster than DX12, including Control. But of course, you don’t get the bells and whistles like DLSS and RTX in DX11. I’m sure there are games where 12 is faster, sounds like Division 2 for example, but that’s not my experience thus far. Thankfully most games don’t really use DX12 much, so I’ve been sticking with 11 whenever possible.

From what I remember from WH1 is that, even forgetting for a second the performance, it made the load times to be much longer, so it was a straight NO GO.

That I can’t speak to - the load times when I was doing my testing seemed the same in Warhammer 2, or at least I didn’t notice anything.

DirectX 12 is Windows 10 only. Why optimize for a platform that only half of your users can take advantage of? You’re going to have to do DX11 anyway.

They back ported DX12 to Windows 7, IIRC. It’s also supposed to have bigger impact on systems with weaker CPUs.

No one should be running insecure outdated win7. A pox on those that cling to it irrationally.

It definitely does. My 4 core cpu was quite happy with it in MHW among other games.

Like so many things sold to us as transformative, it’s a big “meh”.

You do need DX12 for DLSS though, and that’s a huge “yay”.

Its not DX12’s “fault”. Most engines are still designed around DX11 so DX12 support has been tacked on. Need a new generation that’s designed from the ground up for DX12.

I mean, it’s been over 5 years.