Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Use the items to make themed spots on the island, or do what I’ve seen some people do and make other switch accounts to make new island people and decorate their homes as cafes or something.

How do you know what your friendship level is and when it’s maxed out?

I linked my Facebook account and I have the default posting visibility set to “only me”, so when I go to Facebook, I’m the only one that can see the image, which I can then easily copy and paste wherever I actually want to post it,

Some recent Switch update added a feature where you can supposedly send images from your Photo Album to your smartphone, but I have never managed to make that feature work… it just doesn’t seem to want to talk to my phone, even though I have all the network details correct. But lots of people seem to have no issue with it, so maybe it will work for you. Both this and the posting to Facebook method are done from the “Photos” section on the Switch main menu, not from within the game anywhere.

There’s no way to know for sure except that when they gift you their photo, you know you’re maxed out (since you have to be maxed out for them to give it to you). However, whether they give you their photo is total RNG - so you could theoretically be maxed out with them for weeks before you finally know for sure when they give you their photo. Some things they won’t do or say or ask until they’ve reached some target friendship level (like ask to give you a nickname, or ask you to change their catchphrase or whatever) but I’m not actually sure what those levels are.

So I’ve just updated my dream for the first time in a while, in case anyone wanted to explore my current island at their leisure - my dream address is DA-8211-0426-0006. I realize most people in this thread aren’t really playing much anymore, though maybe @jpinard would like the idea of being able to explore islands without having to go through the whole island visiting rigmarole, hehe. For anyone who has been to my island before, it’s not really substantially different. I occasionally make minor changes, but I’m generally happy with my island. I would like to do more - something new, something different, I’m just not sure what, or where I would do it.

Anyway, the dream is a daytime, sunny day, clear sky dream. I think at some point I’m going to update my dream at night, because I rather like a lot of the nighttime lighting I have going on (especially my beachfront arcade).

Ohhh cool. Would you be able to make a new free Nintendo account to make a new island and mail yourself stuff? I thought I saw someone mention something like that upthread?

Also I have a question. The joycons attached to the screen are killing my carpal tunnel. The problem is with my current situation and the past few weeks I’m playing reclined or in bed a lot (just got home from hospital rehab Monday), so I can’t really detach them because I can’t figure out a way to support the screen on my lap while using a detached controller. I’m hoping all of you that are much smarter than me might have some suggestions or solutions?

Hori Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro (Black) Ergonomic Controller for Handheld Mode - Officially Licensed By Nintendo - Nintendo Switch

I use one of these when in handheld mode. I have big hands and just can’t deal with the tiny joycons

Yeah, lots of people do that I think. I can’t be bothered to do that, personally - I probably wouldn’t bother most of the time to keep switching accounts to do stuff, plus I’d need space on my island for another resident’s house, hehe. But yeah, people do make extra accounts. Some people only do it for the extra storage. ;)

EDIT: None of this is right - Kolbex corrected me below.

Do you have a tray (or any flat surface) you can rest on your lap that you can then rest the Switch on using the kickstand?

You’re talking about making a new character on the same island. JP mentioned making a new island which as far as I know (not that far) is not possible. One island per Switch.

Oh, you’re absolutely right, I misread the question. Yeah, one island per switch.

Why would they limit it like that when there’s 200 some critter friends to experience?

@Hansey A tray wouldn’t be comfortable in bed with me? Unless you had an idea for a tray that’s no a dinner tray kind of thing?

Well, they do it like that because they want to sell you more Switches. ;) Seriously though, I think they expect you to rotate out your villagers regularly and get new ones to experience more residents. That’s why villagers will ask to leave eventually. At least now you can tell them no… in the older games, they didn’t ask, they just said they were leaving, and that was that. Or even worse, you might start up the game one day and there’s a letter in your mailbox saying “Hey, I left, seeya!” ;)

I guess I’m not understanding what you meant when you said “reclined”… I was imagining in bed but sitting up so you could have something on your lap. Any kind of flat surface (even just a book or something would be sufficient to use the Switch’s kickstand, but it sounds like you’re not actually sitting in a position where that would allow you to see the screen well enough? Or is it just that having anything on your lap is uncomfortable because you’d have to move it when you’re done?

Well, leaving aside the why ( I mean I don’t know, money, probably), the fact is a lot of those critters are kind of dicks and you don’t need them around, anyway. Slightly less tongue in cheek, there are only like 8 kinds of villager personality, and although I have seen minor dialogue differences, for the most part the jocks are all interchangeable with other jocks, the normals etc. Just do you want your jock to be a tiger or a robot ostrich.

Maybe now that we don’t really log on anymore I should take over the island and make my Planet Gym vision a reality where it’s just 10 different jock islanders and workout equipment everywhere.

The Switch has a kickstand? I can’t seem to find one on the back of mine.

Haha that would be hilariously awesome!

I’m not sitting up, but laying back. My muscles are all on the weak side, so I’m mostly lying back with a few pillows behind my head and back. So the Switch rests on my stomach/chest area. nuzzled in blankets :)

Did anyone make ergonomic joycons that still slot into the Switch? I really can’t see how an ergonomics expert has any input into these things lol.

My wife has a cheap Viewsonic M1 Mini LED Projector she uses to recline in bed and play ACNH on the ceiling while the Switch is in the dock, but with the joycons detached. She then just has her arms beside her body. I don’t know if that would help since it’s still the small joycons, but maybe get the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to improve playing if you can view ACNH on a different screen? I have trouble with the joycons if playing for 30 minutes or more but have no issue with the Pro Controller.

Not sure if your location would allow for that sort of projector; you’d have to have enough clear space on the ceiling to do it.

I do have the pro controller. I would use that in my situation, but the Switch screen keeps flopping over or shifting angle so I can’t see it well.

I assume you have a standard Switch? It just pulls out from the back and looks like this when it’s open:

To be clear, it’s not very good (the new Switch they just announced has a much wider kickstand) but it does okay on a flat surface, which is why I mentioned having any kind of flat surface you can rest on your lap. That said, if you’re reclined farther back than I assumed, it might just result in neck pain for you instead.

Haha, I thought that wasn’t meant to be opened when not accessing the memory card :)

I’ve seen a number of people really enjoy these ergo grip things for the whole unit, but not sure if that would work for your situation.

Oops, forgot the link, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/Satisfye-Ultimate-Accessories-Comfortable-Ergonomic-Thumbsticks/dp/B07FNJJG5V?tag=qt3-20