Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Did you see the Hori one I posted above? It’s basically a standard full-size modern gamepad, split in half and slotted into the rails on the side of the Switch. Compared to the joy-cons, you lose some ancillary features like rumble, motion controls, and Amiibo support, but it’s vastly more comfortable to use.

Whoa, I totally missed that. I was so busy typing replies I didn’t scroll back up!

I am totally going to give that one or the one @Armando linked a try!

Is there a way to get the AC guide to sync from my phone to my iPad? They’re seeing it as two separate entries.

Also: Sell now or wait? (Purchased at $101)

Well, if you’ve entered all the data correctly then according to the tool you’re guaranteed to get either a better price tomorrow or at least what you have now. So wait. :)

On Android at least, on the more menu near the bottom there’s a “Login and backup” item. From there you can presumably “backup to cloud” on one device, and then “use existing cloud backup” on the other.

Cool thanks!

Why aren’t these trees these growing? They’re permanently stuck in nursery stage, and I’m sure they’re 1 hex apart including diagonally.

Those look like palm trees, is that right? Palm trees will only grow in sand, so you have to plant them on the beach. (Or by terraforming grass into a sand path, which apparently works but I’ve never done… but I assume you haven’t unlocked terraforming yet.)

You can dig up those saplings though without needing to eat fruit and move them to the beach. Similarly, if you really want palm trees on grass, move them to the beach, wait for them to be fully grown, eat some fruit to dig up the mature tree, then you can replant it on grass. It won’t die or anything, but I’m not certain whether harvested coconuts will regrow on a palm tree on grass.

Nope, pear and apple trees. I’m pretty confused by this since I can dig one hole around each tree.

Oh hm, strange! Yeah, they looked properly spaced to me too. I’m not aware of any limit on the number of trees you can have (though believe it or not, I think Isabelle will complain about there being too many and it can affect your island rating, hehe) so I doubt it’s that. I’d suggest that maybe the spaces around each tree can’t overlap, but I can see you already have fully grown trees that share spaces, so it can’t be that. (Unless you moved those fully grown trees to their current locations?)

I think in my own fruit orchard I have each tree spaced two spaces away from each other, so that if I shook every fruit tree I have, every fruit would fall in the “correct” location, which with your current layout, the fruits would be forced into other spaces. Maybe that affects growth.

I’ll see if I go 2 rows back if that fixes it. But it’s odd since everything I’ve read says 1 space, so it should be 1 regardless of the shared space thing.

Yeah, I think I’ve read that one space should be sufficient too, but I can’t think of what else it could be! I’ll be interested to hear if moving them one more space away from each other works!

So I ended up getting this one, and WOW does it make a huge difference. The odd thing though? Because the weight is distributed differently it makes the entire assembly feel substantially heavier, though I’m not sure it really is as much as my brain is telling me.

I’m so dumb. Last night I got so excited when I realized I could pay off my home loan, so I went and did it ASAP leaving me with almost on money left. Yea! I was going to get a second floor and more storage space! Then I set my alarm for this morning to make sure I’d be awake just long enough to buy Turnips. And when I got on in my sleepy slumber I realized… I had no money to buy turnips. GAH! I’d wanted to buy like $250,000 worth of turnips and now I have to wait another whole week!

It’s happened to all of us at some point I think! Welp, get to bug catching, fishing and diving! ;)

Speaking of bug catching and fishing, that’s one thing that (if you are opposed to time travelling like me) can really draw out the game. At least missing a week of turnips won’t set you back much, but miss a window for a fish or bug and you could be waiting 8-10 months before they come along again.

I had four bugs to catch as I headed into July and now that’s down to one (the Golden Stag) but my lone fish holdout isn’t up until November again. Stalking the Golden Stag has been time-consuming, to say the least, just circling the island repeatedly (looking on palm trees during the requisite time), scaring away or catching all the other bugs I see, hoping one will spawn. I don’t think I’ve even seen one, let alone had an attempt at catching one.

On another note, anyone else like sticking with a particular group of villagers? Up until a couple months ago, I hardly ever let anyone leave; I loved the mix that I had. Then I decided that the only way I was going to let the game go is if I didn’t have villagers I cared so much about. So, as they asked to leave, I bid them a fond farewell and filled their spot with the very first villager I found on an island (or campsite). Now, I only have a couple long-time villagers left and I feel that it’ll be easier for me to move on when I’m done completing the bug/fish collection for the museum. I’ve given up on ever finishing the art, since Redd is such a rare visitor.

Yeah, we didn’t switch villagers that often. There are a large handful that were designated as “never allowed to leave.”

Yeah that’s what we did. Three of us play, so there are three villagers - one favourite for each - that are trapped forever.

When someone gets kicked out we make sure to get their photo first, one copy per player, to hang on our walls. :)

I did for awhile, but I have recently started to let some of them go… some that I thought I would keep forever, but like you, in order to keep the game fresh, I wanted to mix things up. Also, there are lots of other villagers that I think are adorable, so I want a chance to have them on my island!

My current strat (like @Paradroid’s) is that I raise a villager to max friendship, and then as soon as they give me their coveted photo, I let them leave when they ask.

Except for Skye and Erik. They can never leave. ;)

You’re much more patient than me. I’ve stopped attempting to get photos for everyone and just let them go whenever they come up. But Purrl left today, after a camper wanted to move in, and she just gave me her second photo yesterday, so she reaaaallly liked me. I’ll miss her (she was the villager who’s been there the second longest of those remaining, Marshal being the oldest).

In other news, I finally caught that Golden Stag yesterday, finishing off my bug collection. Very relieved to have that out of the way, with a focus on art and the one fish in November as next (and final) major museum goals.

Anyone manage to snag all the art somehow? How do you manage it when Redd comes by so rarely. Even buying everything real every time would make it impossible to complete.