Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Or: All Good Animals Cross to Switch)

Honestly, considering I haven’t played Animal Crossing in close to a year, I’m pretty excited about this update! It seems like they’re de-seasonalizing a lot of the seasonal content, and removing the time gates from the rest of it. And it looks like you can finally get those items that aren’t in your island’s native styles. I’m excited to visit these islands and experience different seasons year-round!

Now if they’ll just make some of those rare seasonal DIY recipes more widely available…

Ah, okay. I guess that’s probably why I glossed over it, hehe. But as I said, I’m happy to pay $25 for this DLC.

I think he’s talking about how the villagers will replace a random bit of furniture in their house with fish or bugs you give them, hehe.

I don’t really want to watch a 23 minute video. They’re adding farming?

Okay here’s the short version off the top of my head:

• Brewster’s Roost (coffee place)
  • Kapp’n takes you to visit new islands with different seasons or times of day
  • Harv’s Island has an area where people will set up permanent shops: Sahara, Redd, etc.
  • Customizing items that were previously only available on other items
  • Pro decorating
  • Expanded storage
  • A new first-person photo camera
  • More new recipes
  • More new hairstyles
  • Morning stretching in the courtyard
  • Paid DLC for more decorating stuff

…Actually, if you don’t care enough to watch a 23-minute video, you probably don’t care about all this anyway. Never mind.

Let me explain it to you.

It took me about 30 seconds to read your post while I was sitting in the drive through of a restaurant waiting to order. Thirty seconds is, last time I checked, shorter than 23 minutes. In addition, I am spending about a minute, probably, typing out this response. Still, a minute and thirty seconds is shorter than 23 minutes. More importantly (to me), I hate that video, and always overly long video, has become the primary or even sole source of disseminating information in this seemingly all but illiterate age. I don’t want to watch videos to get simple, basic information like you thoughtfully bullet pointed for me there, so thank you for that. As a matter of fact, I am interested, because I’ll bet a little farming is just the thing to get my girlfriend interested in her island again after so long fallow.

Just read this info.

It’ll give you everything about the new update(s) in text.

I agree with you, though, about videos in general. They are becoming way too much the norm; it’s all about monetizing YouTube, I think, view counts and longer length of keeping people on your site/channel. Still I watched the video and read the details, because it’s AC.

[Edit] As expected, my wife watched the two videos and absolutely lost her mind with the stuff that’s being added. No wonder storage is jumping to 5000, you’ll need it!

Yes, I get that having someone else type a text summary of an informational video is more convenient for YOU. I was just wondering aloud if it was worth the time for ME to type up that summary when you aren’t interested enough to watch the video. I mean I could type “You can accept a job to go to an archipelago and design someone else’s house and then as a reward you get the ability to polish items which will make a vase with flowers turn into a vase with flowers and butterflies flying around it”, but that’s a lot of time to type something out that is communicated in about 15 seconds in the video.

Games are a visual medium, so that’s why videos are often used to convey new information like this. Saying “You can have an accent wall” doesn’t provide the same level of information as actually seeing what it looks like. In the same way, when a new movie comes out, they don’t have press releases saying “In this new movie, James Bond drives his car around in a circle and shoots people with machine guns and it looks really cool.”

I really don’t understand your attitude. @Kolbex is absolutely interested, but he doesn’t want to watch a 23 minute video to glean a few bullet points’ worth of information. What part of that is difficult for you?

An unwillingness to spend 23 minutes inefficiently vs 30 seconds efficiently says absolutely nothing about his interest in the subject matter.

Because it’s more than a few bullet points’ worth of information. I came up with 11 points off the top of my head, and then as I was racking my brain for more, I realized that the best way to get that information was by actually watching the video.

If I can get the info via a written article instead of a video, that’s what I’ll do almost every time.

Ditto. Video announcements are fine and all, but when I want the simple info of what/when/cost just a simple list is all I need.

Cool. Some people like videos. Some people like written summaries.

People are different - who knew?

Back to the more important topic of an insane amount of AC content.

Looks like November 5 is the perfect time to jump back into this game after a lengthy hiatus. The update and the DLC both look really cool!

Since I already have an Online sub, seems the Online Expansion (which includes this DLC) is cheaper than buying the DLC separately.

Though, I guess you’d need to maintain the sub to keep the DLC. Thankfully the save data persists between separate instances of an online sub and the paid version.

It’s far more likely we’ll upgrade our family Online plan since we have two Switches, two ACNH games, and we’ll want the DLC on both. Or rather, my wife will want it on both. I’m still leaning towards bowing out of the game in November, as planned, and my wife will take my island, wipe it clean, and start a new one. She’s already taken the day off work, she’s so into this update (both the free and DLC).

I’m a little sad that they’re releasing this right at the time I planned on moving on, but ACNH has chewed up a lot of (well-spent) time and I have other games I want to play before my demise.

It looks like you can preload the DLC, as I just downloaded it to make the game be version 1.11.1a (but not version 2.0) with the Online+expansions membership. So, if you want to ensure you can dive in as quick as possible next Friday, there you have it.

Yep, I bought the DLC yesterday and it’s now preloaded… just waiting for release!

I haven’t been playing much recently, and figured at this point I’ll just wait for the DLC. Didn’t really see the need for any kind of “prep” (like apparently a lot of people on the AC subreddit are doing), since I have millions of bells and figured I’d be able to buy whatever I need day one.

But now I hear that some of the stuff actually costs Nook Miles, which I’m almost always nearly out of, since I spend NMT like crazy trying to find specific villagers on islands. So theoretically, I should have been playing every day to gather up Nook Miles, but oh well… at least there will be more goals for me once the update is available!

I wonder how many of the folks “preparing” are going to end up being the same people in a couple weeks complaining there’s nothing to do, having played long-ass hours every day to power through everything.

I get that about prepping by gathering bells and Nook Miles but, even if I had plans to play the DLC+free update, I wouldn’t be able to use my 23+ million bells and 510K+ Nook Miles much. I may stick around just to buy up all the stuff but my wife plans on wiping the island and restarting so she has two islands on the go. I’ll let her have her fun, and donate my savings to her (although I think she has hundreds of millions of bells).

I envy those that are excited to jump into new content after all this time. My personality has made it so I play 45-60 minutes nearly every day just doing my usual routine; I need that to stop so I can do other things.

It’s certainly one of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had with gaming so I have no regrets moving on after all this time. It was really a bright spot during this awful pandemic time.