Animated version of "The Hobbit" -opsis from the Qt3 Movie Podcast

Oh wow, this is great! You’ve gone and made this opsis even more hilarious!

That was wonderful.

The visuals really enhance that opsis in just the right ways. Brilliant. Thank you for that.

Let me echo the other "amazing"s. So well done.

I would subscribe to a weekly animated opsis channel in a heartbeat.

Once more from the peanut gallery - brilliant! Both my son and I got a kick out of this.

Holy moly that was amazing. Truly excellent work.

I’ve really loved watching this, for a couple of reasons. As I’ve read through this thread, it appears your creation has inspired @Kelly_Wand to listen to his own opsis! He generally eschews listening to the show altogether, as is well known, and you’ve not only made him listen…you’ve made him enjoy it.

You’ve also made me okay with listening to my ridiculous laugh.

But seriously, @ulla89, I love this thing. I particularly love the way you’ve animated the movement as they continue the journey over the mountain pass. It’s so simple and so funny.

This really made me happy. Thank you.

-xtien

“Better than expected-opsis.”

This was absolutely amazing, and to the tune of one of my favorite Opses, too. I have no idea how it was done, and I don’t want to know – I prefer to believe it’s magic. Splendidly done.

Yeah, you’re visual humor and sense of timing is impeccable. This is way more impressive than simply animating Kelly’s (hilarious) words and your additions capture the tone of the opsis perfectly

I’ve never heard of an opsis before, so not only is your animation absolutely amazing, but you’ve introduced the podcast itself to us ignorant types.

However, I’m not sure I’d have any interest in a podcast now without an awesome animation like this to go with it. You seriously need to get this trending or liked or +1’d or slashdotted or viraled or goonswarmed or memed or webby’d or whatever.

I’m curious @ulla89 - how long did it take to make this? I know you didn’t sit down at your desk and work on it until it was done, but if you had to give a back-of-the-envelope guess, what would it be?

I’m only asking because I wonder if this was done on a regular(-ish) basis, how often would these pop up?

That’s the first step. The second step is getting the Kickstarter going! :D

Again, this is great. I watched it and then explained it to my wife (had to cover the whole ‘opsis’ thing) and started showing it to her - she watched the whole thing too (whereas most of the time she thinks the stuff I watch is … only vaguely interesting).

Okay…I enjoyed it without this knowledge, but, what is an “opsis”?

I need help as well. I figured it was just a google search away, but pretty much everything “opsis podcast” just self-references back here to QT3. Is it a feature of the qt3 movie podcasts? I couldn’t even really find the original source of this Hobbit podcast - ‘hobbit jourpsis’ just leads to this animated video.

It is.

It’s a thing from the movie podcast. The ‘opsis’ is a name for Kelly Wand’s synopsis of the movie. It started out as synopsis and eventually morphed into “some variation of movie name”+some part of synopsis glommed onto the end, depending on the name of the movie, or, in this case, just putting ‘opsis’ at the end of the movie name.

During each of the Qt3 movie podcasts, Kelly Wand does a “synopsis” of the movie they are reviewing. There are some really great ones out there. I’d encourage you to listen to the podcasts in general; the reviews and discussions about the movies are insightful and sometimes last longer than the movie itself did.

You can see how often I listen to the podcasts then :( I will try and fix my wayward ways.

I don’t see many movies so most wouldn’t make sense to me. But I will try to listen to some of them for movies I have seen.

Be warned. As the mother of my girlfriend said upon being introduced to the podcast, “I guess it’s an acquired taste.”

The show can be hard for some folks to listen to because it is very long usually. It’s a long discussion between friends, basically, that you get to listen in on. So it can go long, and ramble, and get heated, and salty. Having so many people who like it is hugely gratifying.

Also, do please take into account that when we reach the 'opsis part of the show we dive headlong into spoiler territory. Kelly holds nothing back, which signals that the rest of the discussion will do the same. We do warn you when we get to that point, that spoilers abound, but I wanted to throw that in here for folks who may not be familiar with the show, since I am so spoiler-averse before I see a movie.

-xtien

Okay wow, this is sort of overwhelming actually. (Sorry for a lack of replies, I’m at a cabin in the mountains at the moment, so have very limited internet access…)

But thank you all, again, for all the kind words! Now I just wanna go and make lots more… Easier said than done though, but I’ll definitely try to make another one if I can find the time.

Oh my, thank you @tomchick. And you guys have made my day several times, so if I could return the favor for once that’s great!

@ChristienMurawski Glad I could help! Man, you guys laughing is amazing. So contagious! I’ve literally heard this thing hundreds of times now, and it still makes me laugh.

@Charlatan Oh god, honestly… it’s hard to say as I’ve been working on it inbetween stuff and when I had time, but at least… two months? At least! But I’ve been thinking that if I’m gonna try another one it could be done simpler in many ways. Sooo, who knows!