Anime info

Where do you guys go for information on new/good Anime that’s been translated into English (either voice or subtitles).

http://www.animeondvd.com and http://www.animenewsnetwork.com

Cool, thanks. Does anyone know a reliable on-line place where I can rent them? I’ve noticed that both Netflix and Blockbuster.com will always have 1 volume missing.

www.greencine.com

One more question: why do guys whose names start with A always know so much about animie?

Netflix also has a pretty decent anime selection.

I’m going to have to disagree with that. They’ve got a few good things, but 9 out of 10 times I end up getting what I need from GreenCine.

The do have Rahxephon, and Last Exile, both of which I can recommend heartily.

And they’re always missing a volume of the series here and there.

I’m going to have to disagree with that. They’ve got a few good things, but 9 out of 10 times I end up getting what I need from GreenCine.

The do have Rahxephon, and Last Exile, both of which I can recommend heartily.[/quote]

I said “decent” and if you’re already a member (as many on this forum are) its not costing you an extra monthly fee like Greencine. If you feel like dedicating an additional monthly fee to anime then Greencine can’t be beat.

I’ve had good luck with Netflix on most of the series I’ve wanted. The only one they didn’t have the complete series of was Escaflowne (only had the first four disks) which I ended up buying anyway. Plus, even if they only have the first couple of disks, its an excellent method to sample different series and then purchase the set if you’re interested.

Hm? I didn’t see any extra charges for Anime.

And, greencine has Gamera 2 and 3. Definite plus.

I’m not sure it rises to what I’d think of as “decent”. Somewhere between “eh” and “Meh” on my scale.

I was saying that its an additional fee if you already have Netflix but get a Greencine subscription only because of their excellent anime selection.

I’ve had a look at the GreenCine site and their selection of titles looks to be pretty good. A couple of minutes searching didn’t turn up any titles in my Netflix queue that GreenCine doesn’t carry and it looks as though GreenCine has a lot more foreign, genre and special interest titles.

Given that, I’m considering canceling my Netflix account and signing up with GreenCine instead. For those who have tried both services, are there any reasons to stay with Netflix?

edit: by ‘titles’ I don’t mean just anime, I mean mainstream, independent, foreign, classics, documentary, tv series etc.

The primary reason is shorter delivery times. Depending on where you live it can take several more days for titles from Greencine to reach you.

They’ve been better about filling those in lately (lately meaning in the last 6 months or so). Before that, they had lots of weirdnesses like starting “Love Hina” on vol. 3, or not having vol. 2 of “Inu Yasha”, but I haven’t tried to rent anything recently where they’re missing volumes.

Their selection is definitely limited, though.

Gav

Looks like their offices are in San Francisco. Don’t know if they ship from there. It should take 2 days at most by regular mail to Southern California.

I’m quite surprised that they don’t have Lethal Weapon 2.