Anime Thread - 09/18/02

So you’re more of a pirate man?

GITS: Stand Alone Complex’s first episode aired in Japan recently. Trying to get a fansub of it now…

— Alan

Is there a fansub already? The official website just released a couple clips of animation.

Yup, just got it. The fansub is ok – it may go fast, but it does the job (could be better) – it’s DivX encoded so you’ll need the codec, but man, it’s pretty good. The animation for a TV series is at the high end I’d say. Episode 2 is already available, haven’t gotten it yet.

— Alan

Just went to the local comic con today. I realized how square and unhip I am. Compared to the people there, I know about as much about anime as most the comic shop owners there know about sex.

I also realized that about 75% of anime has tentacle sex in it to make up for the lack of talent and plot. The other 25% looked, and was told to be, fucking great. Too bad I only own about 1% of that 25%.

Um, this pertains in no way, shape, or form to this thread, except in spirit. So here’s to shutting up and letting the masters talk.

Have I hyped Revolutionary Girl Utena on this thread?
Hmm, I see that I have. Nevermind then :)

Just got episode 2… the art is noticeably different (mostly the characters) so I’m guessing (for Stand Alone Complex) that they use different teams of animators/artists. I like this episode a lot, and it brings a pretty strong story (and finale) for such an early episode.

The tank is pretty damn cool, I love the way it walks around – basically it looks like a big scorpion.

— Alan