Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nothing amazing. But not as dated as the older series.

I watched “Your Name”. I found it overrated.
But probably is me. The everything was decent-ish, or good. So probably is me.

BTW, Food Wars season 3 started up a few weeks ago.

Thanks! I forgot about this completely, looking forward to the new episodes.

Anxiously waiting for the season to air and wrap up so I can mainline it.

For what it’s worth, the show is worth the wait. Had a blast watching it with my kids, and I think they really enjoyed seeing the thing that really made me fall in love with what we now call anime.

My wife still talks about Star Blazers. She just did it again today, so what should I watch if I never saw it or know nothing about it? I see Star Blazers was the american version, should I go straight to the Japanese version? I really, really dislike dubs, always preferring subs if possible. That way I can’t judge the voice acting.

I loved the original series, and I love beyond words the “end-it-all” movie, Saraba Uchusenkan Yamato, which I personally put on the all-time animated movie pedestal right next to a Totoro, with the sad downside that you must have watched a whole series to really enjoy it.

The hard part is finding it. As I mentioned earlier, if you aren’t opposed to the idea, there is some sort of Asian release (bootleg?) sold on eBay rather cheaply (20-25 bucks) on a single disc with a yellow cover like this:

IMG_0558

Every other version will cost 15-20x that. It’s not available to stream anywhere (not legit anyway).

Seconded, just finished this a few days ago.I had no idea except vague misgivings of centaur fan service… but what a great surprise it was!

For that you’d need the doujinshi he does.

I dropped Inuyashiki because of one particular scene where the bad guy is just too much. My 23 year old son actually covered his eyes in the scene it was that disturbing (I think due to the apathy that is displayed by the main villain and his age).

The hero is pretty great and I hope he kicks the villain all over the place (hopefully knocking him out of his disturbed mindset). I just do not want to watch it lead up to that point (and it certainly seems it will eventually).

I would say the family’s favorite anime this season are:

1. Mahoutsukai no Yome
  2. Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  3. Kekkai Sensen Season 2
  4. Gintama (whatever season this is)

Compared to Psycho-Pass or Elfen Lied, what level of disturbing are we talking about here?

Incidentally, I just watched season 2 of Psycho-Pass and thought it was pretty good, given the relative lack of Kogami.

I actually quit Psycho-Pass because I’m a big softie when it comes to serial killer stuff. I hate that we fetishize it more than being afraid of gore or anything though. Gantz, Elfen Lied, and Ga-Rei: Zero were no problem for me, although I didn’t think much of any of them.

To me, that’s not what the show is about at all and the bad guys are more a means of commenting on the nature of the society (compared to something like Criminal Minds), but I can see where you are coming from.

Yeah, I liked the cut of their jib, but I just couldn’t get over the gratuitous murders and the way that there was at least one character who was like, “Whoa, look at this… it’s art, man” But it’s been a while I could be making that completely up, lol

There was definitely some messed up stuff. And while I had heard people complaining about how bloody the second season was, to me the most violent thing in the whole series was watching this one poor woman getting the crap kicked out of her in the middle of a crowd of people. The idea was supposedly that violence had become such a foreign concept to people in that society that they didn’t understand what was happening. That was absolutely brutal to watch.

I’ve started watching Eureka: Astral Ocean. So far it’s better than the original by far, because there’s no Renton in it.

More grounded, at least in terms of sentiments invoked, than either of those. Basically a home invasion conducted by a sociopath with unstoppable superpowers who causes an extremely disturbing death scene (not that the others in the same home invasion aren’t disturbing, but one is exceptionally so).

Oh anime, never change. :|