Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Where do you guys get your Anime? None of the stuff some of you guys are recommending are coming up anywhere except in Japanese.

I enjoyed Macross Zero.

And Dirt you might check out AnimeSuki

Yeah, Big O is savage. It was a bit odd at the start, I watched a few episodes and wasn’t too sure on the whole thing. The first episode in particular, while it set the tone left you fairly confused as to what the hell was going on, but the more I watched, the more I wanted to watch it. Especially towards the end it gets very good. [/quote]

Big O is what got me hooked on anime. I’d be watching it, and think I’d know what was going on, and then something would happen that would leave me all “what teh FUK?” and then I’d be watching twice as intently and start thinking I was understanding what was going on again and then something would happen that would “what teh FUK?” me all over again … The actual ending was a bit of a cop-out, although I’m not sure what I would’ve done with it instead.

I love the atmosphere in the show. The mixture of gothic and hard-boiled noir and cyberpunk is just marvelous.

Wasn’t there a Big O #2? I only saw the first episode of Big O and wanted to see more but didn’t get around to it. Then I heard about a second series. Does it exist and was it good?

Click here for more information

Yeah, the whole thing twists and turns with pleasing regularity. And there’s absolutely nothing better than when the shit hits the fan and it looks like it’s all over and Roger shouts “NOW Big O”… you just know it’s going to be good.

I’m certainly going to check this new stuff out.

As I understand it, what Bandai calls “Big O 2” is actually what most people would normally describe “The second half of the series”.

Is that correct?

I have been watching Kaze no Yojimbo, which is pretty good. It riffs on the plot of Kurosawa’s Yojimbo, as the name might have hinted. It takes place in modern times, and anything else I say about it is really a spoiler, so I’ll leave it at that :)

I also recently watched FLCL (Fooly Cooly), which is just 6 episodes of weirdness.

I just started re-watching Excel Saga now that I have the second season. The second season is weak in comparison to the first, but still entertaining.

Also, I have been watching the 4th season of Initial D which is currently airing in Japan. The fansubs are slowly trickling out, but I’m a little behind.

Does Netflix have all the discs now? It seemed in the past there would always be 1 disc missing in a series.

There can be some weirdness in Netflix’s inventory, but I have found they’ve gotten better in the last 6 months or so. It is weird to find that a disc is missing from the middle of a series, though. I’ve resorted to eMule to fill in the gaps when that happens.

I loved the first game, but sweet fancy Moses that thing was short. And the storyline wasn’t exactly very deep… still, maybe I should give this show another chance. Trigun is my favorite series ever.

Were you fooly coolying? Did you fooly cooly?!

FLCL is one of my favorites, as is Photon. Both are about little boys being pursued by older women. Photon in particular is rather disturbing in this regard, so you’ve been warned.

Battle Angel is terrific, as is Ninja Scroll (the movie)

Anything from Studio Ghibli: Mononoke, Kiki, Castle in the Sky…

But Spirited Away is a must view for any child, particularly little girls. It is, IMHO, the best children’s movie ever made.

I’ve just discovered the Super Milk-Chan Show airing on Adult Swim. It’s bizarre, plotless, and strangely compelling. It reminds me of ATHF in that regard.

My boys love all the Ghibli stuff. Except Princess Mononoke. I haven’t let them see that yet. Way too violent.

Last Exile- A
Gungrave- B
Heat Guy J- B+
Chrono Crusade- B+
Mezzo- B-
Kaze No Yojimbo- A-
ROD TV- A
Texhnolyze- er…jury is out

Have you seen all of Gungrave? So far (12eps) I’m giving it a higher grade than Heat Guy J simply for the fact that the main character has more than one outfit.

Last Exile is really good. Wasn’t sure I was going to like it at first but it gets better with each episode. Alex reminds me of…

Captain Herlock. Pretty good but short series and a very unusual ending. Not that that is a bad thing. I actually liked it.

Berserk. Probably my alltime favorite. The new boxset came out and it’s only $70 or so. It starts out slow with a flash forward that confuses alot of people but stick with it. The ending is so weird. It’s a real shame they only did one season of converting the manga to anime. Dark Horse is slowly releasing translated versions and they are incredible. Anybody know if there is a chance in hell that they will continue this. Is it still popular in Japan?

Ninja Scroll the Movie…especially liked the poison kiss. What’s the verdict on the disc set?

Episode 8 of Ganktsuou just bumped it up another notch. This series is beyond awesome.

What is it about?

It is a retellling of Alexandre Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo. The setting is far future, the Count is now the victim of an illness from deep space that makes him look like a blue-faced vampire, and everything is more over the top.

The way the Count revels in his malice, and the way he sets about gathering his vengance is just incredibly entertaining. The voice acting is very good, the visual style, while jarring at first, is interesting and really works for the story. It’s really just shaping up to be a masterpiece of a series. If it keeps one-uping itself every episode it will easily be my most favorite show ever.