Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

I think the dub for Full Metal Alchemist is well done. It is one of the few anime that I have watched as a dub.

Don’t really understand this comment, because the original went there, and spent more time there, so you had more time to get attached to the characters, a big part of why I still prefer the original (that and a general dislike for season 2 of Brotherhood). Brotherhood is like the fast food version of the early parts of the original.

My memories of the original series are over a decade old, and I think aside from the initial shock origin story, the original series took a bit longer to ramp up and felt more shonen-y.

Could be you simply don’t recall some of the details. It DID take longer to ramp up, because they had less material to work with and therefore went at a slower pace. There were stories Brotherhood never told (e.g., iirc, the two brothers impersonating the Elrics) and there were also events/stories they spent a couple of episodes on that were condensed into a single ep in Brotherhood (pretty sure both Rose and Nina fall into that category, but it has been a while for me as well).

The funny thing is despite being a shameless retread of AoT, I actually like KnK more. Partly because I find “steampunk Meiji-era Japan” a more interesting post-apoc setting than AoT’s. But mostly because I couldn’t stand Eren and I hated the Big Plot Twist around episode 8 - so much so that it basically killed my interest in the franchise.

Which is not to say I think KnK was a good series, just that I found it more enjoyable than AoT. Although it definitely started stronger than it ended.

I liked KnK a lot more that AoT. I thought the characters were more likeable. Different people different tastes applies.

Oh shit let’s start a fan club! :)

AoT is highly overrated.

This is basically something that probably came directly out of my mouth in conversations.

Meiji-era Steampunk? That sounds cool.

It does. And it is.

Until about the halfway point.

Attack on Titan’s concept is great, its execution bored me to tears and I quit halfway through the season.

One of the best dubs in existence imo.

We just watched both seasons of Ajin.

First season was fine (you may have to get over the shocking rotoscopy of Japanese actors animation first, though), a very pleasant watch, with a definitive overall lack of bullshit that I found very pleasing.
Second season (vague spoilers) is a 24 fanfic written with all the clichés you can find in the modern Japanese TV “dramas” on top. The depiction of the Americans was especially hilarious. But really, it is so bad… It fell into the “so bad it’s good” category here. Might not have been so tolerant of it, had I been more attached to the first season, though!

I liked KnK as well, the setting is cool. Fucking zombie trains.

But, I think that AoT just worked better for me. I think maybe, because you get to see how well society works before the Titans attacked and took the gates. KnK just kind of goes for it, which is refreshing too, but there is something so viscerally horrific about the titans in AoT that gives me the heebie jeebies that zombies do not.

Glad to hear that the FMA dubs are good, I have been watching every other episode in dub/sub just to see if I liked one over the other. The english dub has been very good so far. So I will probably stick to that.

Oh yeah, FMA dubs are phenomenal. I watch a ton of subs these days on crunchyroll, but there are a few that would probably be really strange to watch in Japanese because of the way I associate the voices with the characters (e.g. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun)

So if I’ve never watched any FMA at all, which of them would be best to pick up and try out? I’m likely going to pick up Crunchyroll premium again next month, be something to add to the queue.

The original isn’t on Crunchyroll, so that isn’t a difficult decision. I prefer the original, but most seem to prefer Brotherhood.

It pretty much isn’t available anywhere outside of purchasing it.

You’re right.

That’s interesting. Netflix used to have both, I think? Or maybe it was Hulu that had both, I can’t remember anymore. But I remember having access to both when I looked into it a few years ago.

I should watch Brotherhood on Hulu since I re-uped for a month with no ads on Hulu for a month.

Hadn’t realized that. I have the whole series on dvd. Should go back and watch it again sometime.

I finished FMA Brotherhood last month and i think it’s one of the best animes i ever seen, left me wanting for more. Did the manga continue the story or it ended there?