Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

IMO, the greatest composer of our time, and most people have never heard of her. On top of the myriad film and tv work (themes from Escaflowne and Macross Plus, many more), she’s also done commercials for many of the biggest companies in the world, including Canon, DoCoMo, Fuji Xerox, Seven-Eleven, Microsoft, Nissan, Toyota, Shiseido, Avon, and MasterCard.

I’ve never heard of Uncharted Waters. Thanks for the tip.

Ok, please don’t be too hard on me, but I’ve been watching Pokémon XY/Kalos Quest (aka Pokémon season 17-18) with my kid and I love it. It’s funny how much the Pokémon formula resembles the classic ronin tale - a masterless samurai travelling all around Japan, facing leaders of dojos, on the path to become the best swordsmen of all.

This is for UW 2 instead of the original, but it’s still good. I love these orchestral treatments.

Here’s the original BGM, linked to the time for the music you actually hear again and again during the game (since everything was looped for SNES)
https://youtu.be/sVFXFu1iRkU?t=325

I’ve never heard of Plex, but I’m looking into it now. Anything I need to look out for before installing it?

-xtien

Nope. @stusser might have the best recommendation here, but just grab a client for whatever device you use to watch tv.

https://www.plex.tv/downloads/

Down there on the page is a dropdown to select what sort of client you want, I’m guessing that leads to instructions or the actual file for a windows download.

I must say I prefer the apps to the full windows client. That just doesn’t work as well for me. I regularly use the Roku and Amazon Fire clients and they are solid. My phone has the android client and that works great too. The windows one will just sit there while it syncs and not really tell you what’s going on, plus you need to navigate with the keyboard. Somehow it’s more confusing than it should be.

Then if you want to enjoy my library, make a plex.tv account (free) and tell me what it is and I can invite you to my anime libraries. I’m sure there are others in the forum with Plex servers as well. :)

Gamewise, while not very impactful, she interestingly did most of the earlier Koei games (the very first Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga’s Ambition for instance, whose sound bits are still used in the logos of those games).

Speaking of trivia, the SAC opening singer, Origa, died very young to a cancer a couple of years ago.

Hey, @ChristienMurawski! One Punch Man is on Netflix:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80117291

Go! Watch it! Be awesome!

It’s still so weird to see that art style for Arslan. I did a doubletake when I saw that because I was so used to the old 90’s art style for the same story.

This is my first exposure to it. It isn’t deep or meaningful, but it sure is fun.

My daughter and I watched the final episode of Naruto.

My kids basically grew up with the show at ages 5, 8, 9, & 10 and now they are 20 - 24 years old (my 24 year old son just getting married this past weekend). Was sad watching the last episode knowing how much time went by.

We always enjoyed the show and in the past few years would binge watch a bunch of episodes around the holidays or on various Saturdays when most of us were together.

I think the music in the show itself is some of the best especially the song Companions. My favorite scene is when Naruto and Jiraiya show a ice popsicle with the Companions song playing. I always felt like Jiraiya was his grandfather figure and it was a touching scene.

NOTE:
I could not find an english subbed version

What? It’s over?! I can finally begin watching it, minus the fillers?

Shippenden ended at episode 500 which came out this week.

The last episodes are probably fillers but I would recommend watching them as they are quite fun (after the main arc ends). They show what happens with some of the other characters.

I’m obviously late with the recommendations, but I have ‘anime recs.txt’ file for these moments. Let me copy and paste:

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjou
Mob Psycho
One-Punch Man
Ping Pong
Mushishi
Shingeki no Kyojin
Uchouten Kazoku
Hunter x Hunter
Shinsekai Yori
Chihayafuru
Gurren Lagan
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tsuritama
Fate Zero
Steins Gate
Mawaru Penguindrum
Level E
Madoka
The Tatami Galaxy
Full Metal Alchemist
Mouryou no Hako
House of Five Leaves
Ghost in the shell SAC
Planetes
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Gankotsou
Serial Experiments Lain
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Moyashimon
Gunslinger Girl
Texhnolyze
Fantastic Children
Golden Boy
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Paranoia Agent
Princess Tutu
Code Geass
Monster
Haibane Renmei
Kino’s Journey

Films

Akira
Ghibli movies
Berserk
Milenium Actress
The girl who jumped through time
Colorful
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
Eve no Jikan
Redline
Summer Wars
Kara no Kyouaki
Paprika
5 cents per second
The Garden of Words
Beyond the Clouds
End of Evangelion
Mushisi OVA
Wings of Honneamise
Madoka Rebellion
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Good for a general list of recommendations but I don’t think a lot of those work for a newbie.

But yeah, great list.

I can imagine with what you are going for with that, a list of popular, mainstream, ‘entry level’ anime would be better for anime newbies, but I don’t really agree with it. ‘anime newbie’ is kind of silly concept, even.
It’s all just fiction. Hopefully good ficiton. Not that different from fiction western tv series or films. We can suppose someone who is a newbie of anime at least has previous experience with other forms of fiction.

What I admit it’s true a few of my choices are more ‘cult classic’ than others, and not everyone will likes them, but searching for only things with near universal praise makes usually a very bland list. I just make it a list of what I liked, some of them happens to be very popular, some of them happens to be less popular.

Erased not on the list? Awwww, that’s currently my favorite. And I’ve seen quite a few on those list now.

Now I’m really glad I stopped at Episode 10. Those last 3 episodes must be really bad for the show not to show up on a list like that.

I would recommend Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) as a great anime to watch.

So, My Hero Academia is on Crunchyroll, with the second season about to start. I can’t exactly explain it, but 8 eps in, I am absolutely loving it, especially for a younger-focused shonen series. I feel way more invested in the characters than I have any reason to, especially the protagonist, Izuku, who reminds me of Renton from Eureka, minus the constant brooding and whining about every damned thing. It’s a show about a superhero high school. It’s not deep or anything, but it manages to have a lot of heart somehow.

It is a great, fun anime and seems to get what a superhero is all about.