Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

CodeGeass is my current treadmill show and I’m having a blast with it. Also just finished the first season of D. Gray Man Hallow, which is entertaining enough, if not omg amazing.

I never could get into the D Gray Man.

My daughter and I are binging on Saiunkoku Monogatari which is a story about a poor aristocratic girl who wants to be an administrator in the government. I suppose it is a bit corny but we are enjoying it immensely. It is almost a reverse harem type show but not over done.

We are also watching Princess Principal.

I finished Konosuba’s first two seasons. Pretty good. It didn’t reach the same league as Re: Zero, since it was mostly focused on making fun of and subverting tropes. But still, I enjoyed the masked enemy the most, the one who wanted to lure a party of adventurers deep into a dungeon, think they won a great treasure, only to then realize they’d lost. That was the best part of the series for me.

By the way, I’m not sure if this was an accurate translation from Japanese or what, but my favorite running joke was when someone would exclaim in an overly dramatic fashion “Kazuma!”, the hero’s name, and he would reply “I am Kazuma” every time. That always got a chuckle out of me.

Been watching Lupin the 3rd Part IV, and really digging it.

Goes back to the more traditional, light hearted feel of the red jacket series instead of the darker tone that “A Woman Called Fujiko Mine” had. Episodes are mostly one off, but with recurring characters and a slight overall arc.

Excellent music, solid animation, and pretty good voice acting too. Definite recommendation if you like Lupin at all, and if you’re unfamiliar it’s not a bad starting point.

Sub for two seasons streaming on Crunchyroll, dub available on Adult Swim. I think it might also be on Funimation.

Not something I associate with Lupin, but I’ve only seen older stuff. Always thought it was fun though, so maybe I should check it out.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nothing amazing. But not as dated as the older series.

I watched “Your Name”. I found it overrated.
But probably is me. The everything was decent-ish, or good. So probably is me.

BTW, Food Wars season 3 started up a few weeks ago.

Thanks! I forgot about this completely, looking forward to the new episodes.

Anxiously waiting for the season to air and wrap up so I can mainline it.

For what it’s worth, the show is worth the wait. Had a blast watching it with my kids, and I think they really enjoyed seeing the thing that really made me fall in love with what we now call anime.

My wife still talks about Star Blazers. She just did it again today, so what should I watch if I never saw it or know nothing about it? I see Star Blazers was the american version, should I go straight to the Japanese version? I really, really dislike dubs, always preferring subs if possible. That way I can’t judge the voice acting.

I loved the original series, and I love beyond words the “end-it-all” movie, Saraba Uchusenkan Yamato, which I personally put on the all-time animated movie pedestal right next to a Totoro, with the sad downside that you must have watched a whole series to really enjoy it.

The hard part is finding it. As I mentioned earlier, if you aren’t opposed to the idea, there is some sort of Asian release (bootleg?) sold on eBay rather cheaply (20-25 bucks) on a single disc with a yellow cover like this:

IMG_0558

Every other version will cost 15-20x that. It’s not available to stream anywhere (not legit anyway).

Seconded, just finished this a few days ago.I had no idea except vague misgivings of centaur fan service… but what a great surprise it was!

For that you’d need the doujinshi he does.

I dropped Inuyashiki because of one particular scene where the bad guy is just too much. My 23 year old son actually covered his eyes in the scene it was that disturbing (I think due to the apathy that is displayed by the main villain and his age).

The hero is pretty great and I hope he kicks the villain all over the place (hopefully knocking him out of his disturbed mindset). I just do not want to watch it lead up to that point (and it certainly seems it will eventually).

I would say the family’s favorite anime this season are:

1. Mahoutsukai no Yome
  2. Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  3. Kekkai Sensen Season 2
  4. Gintama (whatever season this is)

Compared to Psycho-Pass or Elfen Lied, what level of disturbing are we talking about here?

Incidentally, I just watched season 2 of Psycho-Pass and thought it was pretty good, given the relative lack of Kogami.

I actually quit Psycho-Pass because I’m a big softie when it comes to serial killer stuff. I hate that we fetishize it more than being afraid of gore or anything though. Gantz, Elfen Lied, and Ga-Rei: Zero were no problem for me, although I didn’t think much of any of them.