Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

So, Violet Evergarden episode 5 was fantastic. I also loved episode 4.

Just watched all of Land of the Lustrous due to its mention here as well as its ratings. I finished it in three days. It was fantastic, and I can’t wait for more.

My girlfriend and I are also watching Land of the Lustrous and are quite enjoying it. Since we started a VRV subscription (which she started because she wanted to watch My Hero Academia), we’ve also been checking out plenty of other stuff; she binge-watched The Ancient Magus’ Bride yesterday, and I started Flying Witch (which so far seems just as absolutely wonderful as the manga) last night. I plan on checking out A Centaur’s Life on one of my days off this week to see how it stacks up compared to its own weird and wonderful manga.

The annoying thing for me with VRV is that I still don’t think they have provided a way for Crunchyroll subs to be converted.

Serendipity. I was just looking at VRV last night, after finishing up watching Death Note on Netflix and really enjoying it. I’m very much an anime neophyte, but I thought I might check out a streaming service to see some of the biggies of the genre that I’ve missed and VRV seemed like a pretty good deal. The anime nerds on Reddit seem kind of down on it, but all the anime I can eat plus Shudder and a few others seems like the way to go.

What say we?

VRV is a platform from the same company that owns crunchyroll (which is a great anime streaming service). VRV isn’t just anime, though, there’s a bunch of other stuff. Incidentally, if you’d prefer dubbed anime, you can also get the funimation channel there

Crunchyroll does have other stuff too, some non-anime shows plus Manga for preminum subscribers which is 5 dollars per month.

Ok, but VRV is way more diverse than that (Curiosity Stream, Rooster Teeth, etc). It’s trying to be a much broader entertainment platform. That’s not a knock on Crunchyroll (I’ve been a premium subscriber for years), just a fact.

I don’t really care about digital manga…what little stuff I’m interested in I can buy on my own. And plus I just noticed VRV comes with Mubi, which I was already paying $6/mo for. I cancel that and VRV pretty much pays for itself!

So I guess I’m sold. I love it when a plan comes together…

Anybody familiar with Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners)? I just watched the first film and thought it was fantastic.

Is the rest of the series this good?

It’s pretty consistent, with one part that was definitely weaker than the others. I honestly can’t recall which part that was since I watched them years ago, but even if I did remember I’d probably just let you figure that out.

Overall recommended, especially if you liked the first one that much.

Thanks. Yeah, I rather loved it. Better yet, I really think my wife will like it too.

It’s one of my favorites, though I’m a bit biased due to generally enjoying TYPE-MOON works and the bits of continuity between them.

Well, the funny thing is, I wanted to check it out because of a crossover event in Fate Grand Order. I’ve watched multiple Fate series, but wouldn’t have even heard of this except for the event. Needless to say, as much fun as Fate can be, this is on a totally different level.

I’ve been thinking about watching Paranoia Agent again. It’s been more than a decade since I last watched it, I’m kind of afraid to watch it again for fear that it won’t hold up.

I’m totally going to be putting a couple of bucks down for Paprika (I don’t think there is a better opening credit sequence that I have ever seen) for the movie podcast fund drive. I wish Memories and Perfect Blue were cheaper because I would put a couple of bucks down on them as well.

So, I’m not sure where to look to find out, but is there an anime version of Vinland Saga? I got loaned the first three volumes by a friend of mine, and I’m pretty hooked. An anime of this would be really cool.

The good one is the 5th one. I think the end movie and the epilogue were dissappointing.

Nope.

It’s one of those series that from time to time people mention it would be cool to have an anime, so you aren’t alone.

I noticed Netflix now has a Live Action Fullmetal Alchemist. Again, not sure what to think of that.

Since it was made by the Japanese, you can expect the quality acting, directing and special effects that would fit right at home on SyFy.
I must say it introduced me to something I had never given a thought to watch as an anime, and I am thinking about plunging in.