Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

The Fullmetal Alchemist anime shows are excellent. Only the post Brotherhood movie side story disappoints.

An investigator pursues a serial killer through an island city. His path intersects with superhumans who may be gods.

This quality summary, that sounds like something @Woodlance’s Sakkura studios could have come up with, is from Netflix newest… whatever it is. I can’t even read the name. Something the beginning?
Quality stuff probably.

So, I’m starting to watch Iron Blooded Orphans and it’s really good. I’m at episode 5 and so far it might be the best long Gundam series.

I’m approaching the end of the second season. It’s awesome. Just…don’t get too attached to anyone.

To wrap back around to this discussion about Inuyashiki, I forgot all about this conversation. So I started watching the show, got to ep2, there was a disturbing murder thing I won’t spoil, and I dropped the show. Came here to chat about it, saw my post, slapped my forehead, and now here we are.

Also, it’s hilarious how dumb it is. It’s like peak trope. They don’t want to spend time on how two guys are given super robot powers so they just make a scene that’s about 30 seconds long where an alien shows up, does it, another alien says “that could really mess with that species” to which the alien replies, that’s not our problem, we have places to go.

I’m about 90% sure they put it in as tongue-in-cheek, but I still laughed out loud about it.

Princess Principal might be peak anime.

1. Steampunk setting
  2. Character design perfectly made for cosplay
  3. What are basically magic/super powers (but steam powered, natch)
  4. Set in a high school
  5. All female cast
  6. Show setting/history explainable in a 30 second blurb before the first episode
  7. Panties shots (probably other fan service)
  8. Set in a large city in a country other than Japan but probably the author just went there for vacation and has nice memories

I’d like to add the intro in here, but it’s actually a little different than usual anime intros since it’s 100% in English (instead of 20% per usual) and evokes James Bond themes (it’s a spy anime) rather than just generic butt rock or EDM

Edit: It wasn’t bad and the first episode’s tiny amount of fan service was all of the fan service for the whole season, as far as I could tell.

So, now that most of the cast of Iron Blooded Orphans is dead (and as an aside, I would love to see a prequel series featuring a young McMurdo establishing his empire), I needed a new treadmill show. Futzing around on Crunchyroll, I saw they’d added Visions of Escaflowne.

• Yoko Kanno
  • classic mecha anime
  • I’ve never seen it
  • Yoko Kanno

Sold! They pretty much had me at Yoko Kanno, to be fair. And when I’m done with that in a month, the sequel series to Last Exile has also been added.

There’s a sequel series to Last Exile???

Tbh, I still need to watch about 30 episodes of Iron Blooded Orphans and the six hours of Gundam Origins (it’s the only UC material I’m yet to watch), and keep up with Darling in the France, which judging by the studio history might be going places, so I don’t really need more anime…

Treated myself to the trailer for season 2 and 3 of FLCL, and I am excite? Any one else with fond memories of the original series interested? … and if so

Where’s Naota? Does he make a glorious return later? (I sure hope so)

I am excited for FCLC!!! I’m actually probably going to buy DVDs or Blurays of those. The classic is one of the best anime of all time, imho (and according to a friend who was a disney traditional animator, the best animated anime he ever saw).

BUT, what I’m really excited for is the newly announced simulcast of the Legend of Galactic Heroes remake by crunchyroll.

The story is going to be great (because the plot really works), the animation looks really good, and hopefully we will be spared the space axes and the Earth cult of the previous version…

It’s just going to take a while to tell the full story, though. 5 seasons or so if it isn’t cancelled or cut in any way…

And speaking of Crunchyroll, they announced they will be simulcasting Yamato 2202, which I had been hoping for.

Nice! I didn’t know that was on the way. Space Opera is one of my favorite genres of Anime and I’ve never had a chance to watch to original series.

I’m interested, but a bit skeptical. I watch about 2-3 anime a year these days, so this will probably be one of those.

Im conflicted about the decision to build the season around a Pillows soundtrack again.

On the one hand, the Pillows are one of my all time favorite bands after being exposed to them I’m the first season. I feel confident that they’ll deliver some great music, and think it’s fantastic that they’re treated as true collaborators on the series.

On the other, I wonder very much if the decision to use them as the soundscape again reflects a slavish devotion to the first series, and means they’ll be unable to develop the coming of age themes of the original into something new rather than just replicating the visual and auditory styles. What would the result have been if they had decided to go a Clerks 2 route and make a series that reflected where they were in their lives now, and found a new musical partner to reflect that evolution?

I’ve thought about this series a lot.

So, I started watching Bakemonogatari (for no particular reason, other than that I haven’t seen it).

Is this good? I fully can’t tell.

It is of wildly varying quality and your enjoyment of it is heavily influenced by how much you like the focal character of any given arc, as well as your tolerance for absurd amounts of exposition backed by largely minimal animation.

Hahah I watched it too a few months ago and @Otagan nailed it, I think.

Hah, good to know, since that was pretty much my general impression so far.

I mean, I actually like aimless lingering establishing shots to set a specific tone…but I still kind of can’t help but feel like maybe it’s just wasting my time. I get experimental, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is that it’s trying to do.

I am curious what the light novel series is like, though.

I was about to post in a different thread, but I accidentally posted a yotube video in this one.

The letters are like, next to each other in the keyboard.

Please don’t mind me.

(Metropolis 2001 spoilers, obvl)

By the way, Violet Evergarden pretty much concluded this week and I couldn’t possibly love it more. If you like action, stay away (mostly). If you like character development, gorgeous animation, great direction and an amazing soundtrack, and don’t mind shedding tears and feeling heartbroken for fictional characters, you should go watch it now.