Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Yep. Day 3 and I’m on the last 3 episodes.

I resemble these remarks. It’s not perfect, could have been a lot better if they’d made the characters older IMHO, but Made in Abyss is well made and I enjoyed it. I defy anyone to not get punched right in the feels during that last episode. I see another season is in the works, looking forward to that whenever they get it made.

Yes, I agree. That was pretty much the only thing I didn’t like. They made some scenarios and allusions happen which were not really appropriate given the apparent age of the characters.

inuyashiki ( I think I spelled that right) is a very cool. It’s not something new per say, but I love when a regular family man get’s super powers. Add in a serial killer and you’ve got one relatable and yet very dark anime.

FYI for those reading though, there is some sick shit that happens and be warned.

Inuyashiki was ultimately a colossal waste of time, in my humble opinion. Any merits early on (and the show is not exactly chock full of them) are squandered by the time it gets to its conclusion.

I’m guessing you’re talking about Bathtub.
otagan,
That’s a shame to hear. Because I like the duality of the characters and how kid actually tries to change his ways. I did think it was a cop out that the girl and grandmother didn’t die.

Princess Principal is next on the list. Not sure if it’s good, but it sure is pretty.

We enjoyed Princess Principal.

Princess Principal has a surprising amount of “show, don’t tell” by anime standards. It is actually the kind of thing you can watch through multiple times to pick up on all the stuff you’ll most likely miss the first time through unless you’re paying really, really close attention (not that you need to).

They’re also greenlit for a bunch of continuation films (which are probably going to be 2-2.5 episodes each in terms of substance) starting next year, so there’s that as well.

Holy crap, just watched episode 5 of SAO: Gun Gale Online. That last episode was really awesome! I wonder how it the story development goes on further episodes. It has been a while that an anime made me so excited!

PS: Don’t forget to watch the ending song. Makes it even more awesome.

I’m going to need to know whether this opinion is coming from someone who agrees that the first SAO was painfully overrated.

It has little to do with the original SAO where Kirito is the guy who wins it all. GGO is more about a girl getting into a shooter game, boosting her own confidence and learns she has the means to win it by using her wits and guts.

IMO: SAO was a little overrated. Like the main protagonist is the only nice guy…

I liked the first half of the original arc, when Asuna had some actual agency.

That’s funny, I had almost the exact same thought. The review of a new SAO depends completely on how much you like the original SAO.

I was also not much of a fan, though I think I watched at least 13 episodes (maybe 26?) before I made up my mind that it wasn’t for me.

It’s strange-- I liked the first SAO well enough to watch the entire thing. But then I watched Log Horizon and found myself retroactively almost hating SAO. More likable characters, more interesting worlbuilding (or rather, worldbuilding full stop), and just more fun. SAO looks like an angsty, depressing slog by comparison, without even a satisfying conclusion.

I started disliking SAO when they had the “let’s play Mommy and Daddy to this virtual child” episode(s). It was so juvenile, it took me right out of it. Still watched it to the end of the season (I think) and season 2 promised to be even more disappointing with the “world outside of the game” shit that was going on in the first episode of season 2 (last episode of season 1?) so I stopped watching and never went back. Overall I think I gave it a 5/10 or something.

Edit: people here turned me on to Log Horizon as a better alternative and the only problem with that show is it needs more episodes, but is almost definitely never getting any more. 😥

I made it to the end of whatever episode had Kirito first dual-wield (2 or 3) and threw in the towel, but I’d also heard more than a bit about the series beforehand and had a rough idea of what to expect going forward. Log Horizon was an infinitely better take on the same general idea, and Accel World was a superior work from SAO’s author.

Similar experience here. Again, though, liked the first season of Log Horizon more than the second. Not sure we are ever going to get more though, unfortunately.

Looks like Inuyashiki and Princess Principal (both mentioned above) are only on Amazon Prime.

I’m running into that more and more often with the recommendations in this thread. I guess Amazon Prime is actually getting quite a few exclusive deals.

I believe Made in Abyss was as well