Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Cool, we never get recommendations for Netflix animes in this thread, so I mostly ignore anime on Netflix.

Sometimes there are shows like Made in Abyss and Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann (anything by Trigger really) that are so inventive and off the wall that really makes it hard to get into other anime.

I bounced off of Sword Art Online as well, maybe 10 episodes in.

I watched all of Konosuba, it was really funny, but I also think that it could have been even more over the top than it was. Like, I kept going because it was funny, but I also felt that the storyline was left a bit bare. Like, I want to know more about the reincarnation in a game world stuff.

I guess watching shows that spend a heck of a lot of money on art an animation kind of ruin the more typical animes for me. I don’t mind it as much with slice of life anime, but if you are going to go action, you need to have a budget for top notch animation.

Anyway, still looking for another show to dig into now. Really sad that I am going to have to wait for basically another full year to see what is at the bottom of the Abyss.

Heres some random recommendation of animes. In no particular order.

• ReZero
  • Log Horizont
  • Kill la Kill
  • FL/CL
  • Legends of the Galactic Heroes
  • Steins Gate
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • JoJo
  • Almost everything from Studio Ghibli
  • Code Geas
  • Samurai Champlo
  • Cownboy Bebop
  • Chobits
  • No game no life
  • One punch man

the inclusion of Log Horizont in this list is because I recently re-considered the Isekai genre and LH has gained his own place in this subgenre. Ask me any other day and LH would not be in the list.

Is a second season of Into the Abyss confirmed?

Yes, but not until 2020, I believe.

Sorry, it took me a year to get to it, but I have to admit, I’m really enjoying Planetes so far. I’m only 3 episodes in. Forgiving me if I use the wrong anime terminology, but this strikes me as a slice of life anime set in 2075. Very unique.

Yeah, it’s great, but you’ll see, it gets even better.

I usually am not a fan of anime where the protagonist goes from our world to a fantasy world, but maybe I would like Slime?

Try Now and Then, Here and There

Unless you are easily depressed, that’s it (apparently it’s inspired by the Rwandan genocide?!). It’s a fantastic show nonetheless, the best “transported into another world” show I’ve seen by far. Just read the first paragraph of the TvTropes description I linked to if you haven’t seen it. But don’t read anything beyond the third paragraph if you want to see it!

Planetes is just great.

I just watched “Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku” in crunchyroll.

I know is not high quality, no really, and is slow and don’t have much to tell. But it make me happy to watch heroes that are nice people to everyone, chill and heroic not in a violent way, but on the other ways that require a honest genuine hearth. For whatever reason I love a hero that is more a saint than a motafuka that kill badies? The afterlife imagined has going to a place where you can help people.

Let me add that I absolutely hate fanservice and the excessive sexual innuendo of anime. For the most part, anime sucks.

Great show! Also, it is very… very depressing.

Haven’t watched any series in awhile so I decided to binge watch some of the best of 2018…then immediately started watching a bunch of shows that just started airing this year instead. Here’s some first impressions:

Mob Psycho 100 S2 - 3 episodes in and it is still as entertaining as the first season. Love the art style, characters, and humor.

The Promised Neverland - I have been hearing great things about the manga for awhile but never got around to reading it. A friend compared it to Made in Abyss and I can see where they are getting that. That first episode was really tense, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - Oh look, a show that actually started airing last year and not a couple weeks ago. Only a couple episodes into this one, still unsure about it. Went in expecting something like Konosuba, but it hasn’t really been as amusing to me as I had hoped. Saw a youtube video singing its praises, so I’ll stick with it awhile longer.

Dororo - Friend of mine really likes this one, I’ve only seen the first episode, but so far so good. Always thought the premise was cool, so it’s good to finally see the whole story. Reminds me I still need to play the PS2 game Blood Will Tell.

Boogiepop and Others - Watched this one on a whim, I remember hearing about Boogiepop Phantom years ago but never watched that series. I am loving this series so far, it’s so intriguing and I love the overall atmosphere. It’s really a series where you have to pay attention though, there are a lot of characters and it jumps back and forth in time. It’s kind of like a puzzle where you have to rearrange the timeline in your head to find out where everyone fits in. I love the opening and ending themes too. I went ahead and ordered the omnibus of the first three light novels, looking forward to reading that. Highly recommend this one. Expect to be confused with the first episode.

Did anybody struggle on and watched the rest of the Netflix Godzilla thing? It is supposed to have ended, if I recall.

The lack of comment in this thread may be just the answer.

I gave up on it.

Ghidorah was beautifully done but was too ethereal and otherworldly for a good fight.

For some reason, there’s free anime on Amazon today. Via Kinja, these three can be purchased for the price of exactly $0.00:

Attack on Titan S1 | My Hero Academia Uncut S1 | Black Clover S1

Before anybody else from outside the US tries it, it only works if you have a United-States based payment method.

I started to lose interest when in the 2nd episode they acted like something was insanely hot when iirc it wasn’t even hot enough to melt steel. Yet it’s melting like everything for a mile around or something.

Apparently the writers didn’t have Google.

“We need a really high temp to show this is crazy hot.”
“I dunno, a 1000 is high.”
“Sure whatever, pass the sake.”

Slime bad,
Shield good, or at least watchable.

So, I finally finished Gundam the Origin.

It’s quite good! Some slow stuff due to it being a prequel and retconning/giving context to a lot of stuff that happened in the original series and beyond, but the main Char Aznable arc is fantastic in a Darth Vader meets Edmond Dantes way, and serves as an amazing exploration of the implications of his behavior in the first series.

And the space combat sequences are really beautiful.

I really hope they decide to take what they learnt here and actually do the remake of the first series properly. It’s the only mainline UC series that doesn’t hold up at all and this ends just as the regular series starts.

I’m unsure how enjoyable this would be for people who have not watched the original or are not familiar with the main plot points though. Despite being a sequel it obviously expects you know what’s going on.