Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

RT is included with VRV as well, for subscribers of that.

Good point! $10 for more channels is a good deal

Back Street Girls Gokuidols is the most ridiculous, weird, absurd and nearly offensive things I’ve seen but i can’t stop watching it.

I watched the preview, and got that weird feeling of watching somebody else’s fetish.

That’s the shortest best definition of Anime I have ever read.

:-O

It’s been a while since I had Hulu, and one of the first things it told me is that there are a bunch of Hero: Academia episodes waiting for me.

Yay! More exams. I got through the first set of episodes where only the first 100 people to finish the exam go through, now I’m on the next part.

The new intro music is going to get some getting used to. It’s not the same kind of tempo at all. I miss the old music!

I’ve watched the first few episodes of Mix: Meisei Story, which is a sequel of sorts to Adachi Mitsuru’s Touch.

I’m liking it a lot more than I thought it would - it scratches that sports anime itch that I forgot I had.

I noticed Attack on Titan Season 3 is on Hulu, but this time there’s only a Sub version, no Dub. I just looked it up, Funimation started airing the dubbed version in August 2018 apparently. I wonder when that will make its way to Hulu? And also the second half of Season 3 is supposed to start in April (right now?) for the Subtitles version.

Funimation split from Crunchyroll to do their own thing last year, so they may not stick with their stuff on other services either. Then again, there are definitely shows (not just anime but in general) and movies that I have seen on Hulu as well as some other service so maybe they aren’t as exclusive? idk.

I started watching the new Season of One Punch Man on Hulu, and I probably shouldn’t have. Damn it, it’s still a very funny show. I love it. But I hate waiting a whole week for a new episode.

Oh One Punch Man is out? I am in the same boat as you, now I don’t know whether I am happy you mentioned it or irritated that now I know but probably shouldn’t start watching yet.

Yeah loving One Punch Man season 2. Was cracking up at how episode 3 ended.

I finished up Mob Psycho and Boogiepop, loved both of them. Dororo is still pretty fantastic as well.

This is still planned sometime soon. Meanwhile Netflix is upping its anime game. I need to check out:

7Seeds (coming June 28th)
Forest of Piano (S1) (S2 coming June 24th)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (coming June 21)
Kakegurui (gambling academy series?) (Season 2 coming June 13)
A Silent Voice (2016 movie)
Kill La Kill is on Netflix too.

A Silent Voice is straight-up excellent. Highly, highly recommended.

Forest of Piano is a bit of a mixed bag with regard to its production values. If you can set aside some questionable animation (including some simply atrocious CG that they use in the first season for performances, thankfully abandoned in the second half), it’s easy to get invested enough in the characters to carry the show forward even if a few episodes are duds here and there.

Kakegurui is also a total mixed bag, but the other way around. The show generally looks and sounds good, but the plot (such as it is) is wildly variable. S1 ends in an anime original manner that lends it something of a firm ending point, even if it’s a hack job. S2 effectively pretends that never happened, but has subplots that continue to vary in quality throughout.

For any gripes I have, they’re both still respectable enough so those are by no means meant to caution against either one.

Got around to watching this and was pretty happy with it. Great voice talent, obviously, and mostly the animation is really good. Enjoyed the slightly-modified team-of-mecha storyline, and there’s plenty of unanswered questions for a second season to dig into.

So… uhh… that Evangelion dub huh…

Like, they took a show from the mid 90’s with a dub that had some pretty high highs (Allison Keith - Misato, Tiffany Grant - Asuka, Amanda Winn lee - Rei, Spike Spencer - Shinji) and some low lows (pretty much most of the kids, and any un-named character) and steamrolled it with really bland VO.

Sure, maybe everything was a bit over the top in the original dub, but for some characters it worked really well, Asuka, Misato.

But the new dub is… was there a gas leak in the studio? Everyone sounds very medicated.

This is on top of them changing some of the gay-subtext dialog with Kaworu

Which feels very much un-canon.

They removed a lot of the edge of the series. For instance when in End of Eva, when shinji masturbates over the near lifeless body of his friend, which is pretty fucked up. He says “I am so fucked up” now… “I’m the worst of the worst” just not the same punch.

Also, since Tiffany Grant could speak German, the ADV dub Asuka is tossing off German swear words and phrases left and right. Something the japanese version didn’t have, as they didn’t have a fluent german speaker cast.

While I think that the new dub isn’t terrible… it also isn’t terribly memorable. The original had some cringey delivery in some spots, but some REALLY memorable stuff with Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant.

This is all extra crazy, because a large group of the original ADV cast has been doing the blu-ray movie versions that have been coming out.

I can’t believe that the rights were that difficult to obtain vs. redubbing the entire thing… poorly. They fuck up basic stuff like having different characters pronouce NERV in different ways (not so in the original dub) it really feels cheaply put together with little in terms of direction.

The worst part is, the transfer is fucking good. The show is the best it has ever looked. My DVDs look like shit compared to this, but the Netflix dub is so bad… I wonder if someone has already re-dubbed the netflix video with the original audio…

Like I am going on and on here about Evangelion, but fuck man.

The original Evangelion english dub was fucking wild, it aimed for the fences. This new dub is just so damned boring.

Also, they cut Fly me to the Moon. They can spend 100 Million on Friends, but they can’t get the rights to a cover of a Sinatra song.

They really didn’t give a fuck.

I guarantee someone in one of the release groups will slap the old audio on the new video. These guys treat audio and video and subtitles as separate streams to work with, not linked together at all. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a release with both English audio tracks and the Japanese with whatever video is the best quality.

Edit: it also isn’t hard to do yourself if the audio tracks are the same length. If they cut stuff up it would be more a pain in the ass though.

I didn’t think the new translation was that bad. All the Karou stuff remains extremely homoerotic. The most distracting part to me was the Nerv guy who sounds like Mordin from Mass Effect.