Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Came here to talk about Sword of the Stranger. Animation is really good.

Checking the thread seems other people was already talking about it. Looks good so far!

just finished… sweet movie :D

So far this new season, My Hero Academia is a series of mock battles between Class 1-A and 1-B. What’s frustrating about watching it weekly is that each battle is 2 episodes. So every other week, you’re left with only having seen half the fight. So this week I’m going to try to skip the episode, and watch two episodes next week. That way hopefully I get all of the next round in one go.

I remember Sword of the Stranger as having super sick animation for the action scenes, but apart from that it was 150% forgettable. Pure blandness in both story and characters.

Update

I dropped 86, as I said.

After six episodes, I dropped Vivy. It never felt as it was really interesting, it kind of limped along.

Shadows House, I sill watch it, but it’s even slower than I supposed. Five episodes and it’s now that it feels it’s really starting. The concept is at least intriguing.

Fumetsu no Anata, I don’t really know where the story is going, but I feel it’s worth going along the ride.

Mars Red had some good first episodes, but on episode 4 and 5 is starting to lose me, the execution isn’t as good as it should be, some scenes had unearned drama, the direction the story is going isn’t clear enough.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is still the best series I’m watching right now. This third season is awesome.

To compensate the ones I dropped, I started Odd Taxi, a very curious series about anthropomorphic animals living in Tokyo, and the protagonist, a lonely taxi driver who is involved in the case of a missing girl and the mafia. This is combined with other side stories from other characters, told in a very chatty, natural way. It’s being interesting. Visually it’s very uninteresting, although the story is good enough to compensate.

is 150% forgetable, but well done

this season is doomed to dissapoint because the past one we had giants like (he) attack on titans, o rezero.

also a lot of studios seems toying with the same tools to make creation cheaper (or that how it looks to me). that have the unintended effect to make all series look similar in aestethics and cheap. … kid of like if all videogames where made with the unreal engine.

I have been watching Armored Trooper VOTOMS (I have apparently typed this enough for my phone to helpfully suggest it in ALL CAPS) on Hidive. I am not what I would call an “anime guy,” but I’ve been interested in this one for a long time, knowing it as a major inspiration behind Front Mission, which I love, and Heavy Gear, which I admire, however prior to this my direct exposure to it has been limited to flipping through a PDF of the pen and paper rpg. So far I’ve watched the whole series, Last Red Shoulder, Big Battle and Roots of Ambition in their entirety. After a promising beginning I turned off Brilliantly Shining Heresy party way through episode three or four, blech. My favorite part of the series was the Apocalypse Now stylings of the Kummen arc, so it’s no surprise that three episodes into Pailsen Files I feel like mecha anime doesn’t get much if any better than this. After I close the book on Votoms proper I’ve got Mellowlink and Takahashi’s pre-votoms show Fang of the Sun Dougram queued up, both fansubs since they were never officially brought over here.

So the series is called Armored Trooper VOTOMS, and all those other names you threw in there, what are those? Episode names?

Most of them are OVAs, which is a not very helpful designation because it covers both hour-long “movies” like Last Red Shoulder, Big Battle and Roots of Ambition and also multi-episode miniseries like Brilliantly Shining Heresy (5 episodes) and Pailsen Files (12 episodes). The original 52 episode series is kind of broken up into basically four 13-epidode arcs, of which Kummen is the second. Hidive put out a good viewing guide I linked in some Gundam thread.

https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/20224472/

No translation, but the creator of Berserk died of a heart condition.

Oh no. It was super not finished, too. :(

Godzilla Singular Point

is really good

First I tried finding that on VRV, then Funimation, then finally gave up and did what I should have done in the first place: googled it. And found out it’s on Netflix! Unexpected.

One of these days I need to compile a list of worthwhile anime on Netflix.

Last time I did that, I did try to watch Beastars, but those animals, man, I just couldn’t do it.

I don’t think the Netflix release is out yet. It’s broadcasting in Japan already.

Anyone want to go to bat for World Trigger? I picked it up after I think someone mentioned it here and it’s pretty well rated, but after the first episode I pretty much can’t think any less of it. Just, ew. I’m hoping it gets better but if no one has to anything nice to say I’m just going to drop it.

I think at least part of my problem is that shounen tropes are my least favorite tropes.

Also, I think every anime I’ve watched recently has had a lot of school bullying. It’s super tiring because bullying makes me really angry.

It gets better. It does a lot of world-building in the first few episodes, but you great character development in the secondary characters as part of it. Especially the in fighting.

I especially love that the main character is pretty much Rock Lee, instead of of Naruto or Sasuke. The development feels much more earned, and in bounds with what is going on, especially since the team setting allows weak characters to shine in cool ways.

I would hang on especially since you actually have the new season to look forward to.

A nice review of how you get sucked in.

Ok so I tried episode 2 and it’s a little better. One thing that made a huge difference is I turned off the English audio and went with Japanese. The English audio sounds pretty much exactly like Pokemon (my kids watch it), even down to intonation. Just terrible. The Japanese is fine so far. I generally don’t use English audio but have been trying it lately because a) it’s gotten a lot better recently and b) I’ve been trying to find stuff I don’t have to read lately, since I like to do stuff on my phone while I watch.

I 100% know where you are coming from. Being able to listen and understand the audio makes it a lot easier to follow the details on screen.

And some of the most recent shows have put a lot of effort into making worth while dubs.

But that isn’t always the case.

I would expect, for this series, the dub isn’t all that great, until you get to the 2021 season. Those might be a lot better.

Yeah there’s a lot about this show that dates it to 2014. There’s been some real progress in the last few years.

I used to be a sub purist, and I’ll still watch subs if that is the only option, but lately, if there is a dub, I’ll take it because of the above, LOL.

I watched Promare recently (well, the first half, I got interrupted and haven’t had a chance to finish). It’s overall good, pretty standard Studio Trigger stuff.

But I watched it dubbed, which I never do. For some reason, while the pacing and cadence of the audio was pretty clearly written in Japanese (exclamations, etc), but the lip sync animation is clearly synced to the English dialogue. So, I realized that, assuming a reasonably competent dub, I have a big problem with the the visual/audio mismatch. It was distracting enough to make the English audio feel like the “original” version, and I swapped back and forth for the first 10 minutes or so, then stuck with the English audio.

There might be a story about the production process on that, but I haven’t really looked into it.