Anime' - Whatcha Watchin? (Is it good?)

Speaking of Dungeon Meshi, it has been announced it will have a second season

My favorite anime this season is Kaiju No. 8. Its awesome with a good mix of humor and serious. All the supporting characters are wonderful too. My favorite scene is with Mr. Kaiju 8 himself and the little girl.

Definitely a good one. Frieren is great for my contemplative moods and Kaiju No. 8 is when I want to bring a little goofiness into the mix.

I’ve always heard Planetes was a great anime. Hard sci-fi? Hell yes.

I’ve watched 4 episodes so far. I heard it uh, gets better? I like the sci-fi bits so far, but the characters (looking at you Tanabe) are really detracting from my enjoyment.

Does it hold up, should I stick with it?

Here was my take up thread. Though I don’t remember the particulars of the show.

A new season approaches

Cute girls doing cute things… except one is a deer because… of reasons.

But perhaps the most interesting new series for me is Dead Dead Demon’s Dededede Destruction, adaption of the Inio Asano manga. It’s on Crunchyroll.

It’s weird thing, and I like it for that reason. Imagine a coming of age story about two girls… that happens to be on on the middle of an alien invasion. Except, at the same time it isn’t exactly an alien invasion, the aliens have come, but they don’t communicate nor get out of their ufo… it’s all very mysterious. So the story is really good at giving the ‘nothing what we do matters’ pseudo-nihilistic vibe of emo teenagers, because indeed they are powerless in the middle of an alien invasion and their teenage lives with their petty problems and budding romances are even more worthless than usual, while at the same time using said alien invasion to show how said teenagers live as usual, because to them their personal stuff matters way more than some dumb alien invasion which they can’t control at all.
Although, it all starts with an episode 0 that seems to be exclusive to the anime, it wasn’t in the original manga, and it starts super ‘in media res’, in the middle of everything several years into the future, and it’s super confusing, but I have to admit it teased me, because I wonder what’s going to happen to reach that point in the story…

Not a lot of shows that I am super interest in this summer.

One of the few is Giji Harem. I read a few issues of the manga and it is about one girl who likes this one boy. The manga was heartwarming and very cute. It is basically a slice of life/romance.

Here is the blurb:
iji Kitahama, a second year high school student, just wants to be popular. To help him realize this dream, Rin Nanakura, his junior in the drama club, uses her acting skills to create a harem of loving girls for him. Though the various “girls” all show fondness toward Eiji, the affection of the actress behind them is very real.

Now what is really interesting is the FMC voice actor has done a lot of voices and is doing a ton of them for the show.

I will try it to see if the show is successful with getting the manga across.

There is a ‘Suicide Squad isekai’ out there. I watched the first episodes and while it isn’t terrible, I also don’t recommend it, it isn’t good enough, I will drop it.

Witch Hat Atelier anime teaser, for next year:

I recommend watching the first episode of The Elusive Samurai if you like the animation medium. Direction, color design, character design, animation itself, intriguing setup, it was all very good! This isn’t exactly a recommendation of the anime itself, as I have no idea how it will progress, I know the manga isn’t finished and I know it’s published in Shonen Jump, but I don’t know anything else, and surely the animation quality will drop from this point onwards.

For Monogatari fans, Monogatari Series Off and Monster first episode is out, and it has their trademark fanciful and stylish visual presentation combined with interesting dialogue, as always.

Nier: Automata has come back, after one year, and I have the issue now of not remembering exactly how it went in the last two episodes of the previous season. In fact I went back and rewatched the last episode of last year, and indeed I had forgotten some key stuff.
In any case, I felt this new episode was rushed, with reveals that would have worked better if they would have more patience, even if they had to reorder some parts, like they are given the ‘side quest’ by the redhead to search the MIA, and literally 2 or 3 minutes later it is revealed that she killed the Yorhan unit because she was an Executor. That would have worked better for the end of the episode. And the reveal that 2B is also 2E, an executor, should have been revealed two episodes down the line.

This went to some… unexpected places on episode 6. I recommend it.

More stuff.

There is a new Code Geass anime. The original was a guilty pleasure of mine, but as they continued with spin offs, I lost my interest. The new one is called Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture. It tries to ape hard the original anime, more than the other sequels, but imo it is a far cry from the OG, so it doesn’t seem to be worth watching (maybe it’s nostalgia goggles, I’ve never rewatched CG, and I know it has a number of jump-the-shark moments). It also has more fanservice.

ANN gave a good first impression of an anime called Quality Assurance in Another World. As the title clues us in, it’s an isekai (ew). Still, I gave it a chance because the good scores… and yeah I don’t know what the ANN staff saw in this, it isn’t terrible but I don’t think worth recommending.
I perused a few chapters in the manga and at least I will give it one thing: it’s one of those isekais in a vr videogame world (like say, Log Horizon or SAO), but at least it has something novel, the fact they are in a video game isn’t buried in the background and forgotten like in for example Log Horizon, but it seems the core feature here, so devs, testers, bugs, glitches, difference between players and npcs, debug menus, etc the plot points all revolve around it.

The new season made me realize I hadn’t finished reading Off and Monster Season (fan translations), so I went to do that, but then as I did I felt I should reread those seasons from the beginning, but then when I did that, I realised that I should reread Zoku Owarimonogatari and Hanamonogatari because those are chronologically somewhat concurrent with the events of Off Season.

So, I’m sort of rereading all of them now.

Which is fine, because I’ll probably wait for a bunch of the episodes to come out before watching anyways.

I considered rewatching Zoku, But it’s still pretty much impossible to watch Zoku legally in the US.