Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy Compacted to One Movie?)

Directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, 28 Days Later) and based on Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach Trilogy, which I found interesting, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Ought to close this one IMO, keep convo in one place. Not that I don’t love Thunderdome and shit.

I’ve had the books on my to read list for a while. Interesting.

Same here. I need to get on that.

Netflix made a deal so that they will air this 17 days after it’s cinema premiere.

Early reviews are mostly positive, but note that it’s weird and a lot of people won’t like it. I loved the book, so that is music to my ears. Glad that it was able to get a release despite Paramount throwing their bodies in front of it for being “too intellectual.” But I hope the Netflix agreement doesn’t kill it in theaters and allow the executives to say “I told you so.”

Well, weird is consistent with the books, at least! I wish all three could have kept the coherency of the first book, I really wanted this to go someplace interesting.

Yeah, agreed. I liked the second, though nowhere near as much as the first. I honestly did not even finish the third.

I did and I kinda regret it. So good call.

It’s only international that’s it’s going straight to Netflix. In US it will be like any other theatrical release, then PPV, Blu-ray etc.

True, but I assumed VPN could get around that. I know it’s harder to do now with Netflix, but I imagine not impossible.

After Ex Machina, I will watch anything put out by Alex Garland. It’s a shame that its international potential got torpedoed, but as an international consumer of the movie with a netflix account it’s a massive boon! Can’t wait to see it ~12th March (hopefully Australia gets it around the same time as UK).

It’s going to be hard for me to get past my dislike of Natalie Portman, but the combination of Alex Garland and good reviews will probably be enough.

The first book was “ok” , spoilering the plot of the other books so I didn’t bother reading them was the best book move I have made in a long time. I will also be passing on the movie whatever it is. I just don’t rate the story, although I really liked the setting.

I didn’t know there was anything wrong with Portman. At least nothing that can’t be attributed with other actors.

It’s not a really rational objection to her. She’s one of those actors I’ve just never particularly enjoyed. Plus she’s got terrible chemistry with Hemsworth in the Thor movies. What kind of monster has terrible chemistry with Chris Hemsworth?!

The other Hemsworth?

Saw this tonight with the new GF. It was this or Black Panther, and she picked, to her regret.

Weird. Not terrible to me, but it could have used a lot of Michael Crichton.

I really liked the first book too. I don’t go to the movies often, but might do so for this.