Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

The description only talks about updated resolutions which, as noted above, the GOG versions already do. At present I’m a little unclear what this is really going to amount to.

Oh! I wouldn’t mind replaying a spruced-up 1701!

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a way to bundle games in this series together to sell to people who lost their CDs years ago.

Or maybe they still have their CDs, but no longer have any CD drive in which to read them :P

…and who didn’t already rebuy them on GOG. Personally I’ve still got my CD’s and I’ve got GOG copies, but I’ll freely admit to being something of an Anno fanboy (outside of 2205, anyway).

I picked up Anno 1800 a few days ago and just got started on the campaign. While I’ve played a few Anno games before I’ve never beaten them in the sense of climbing all the citizen levels and trying out all the different buildings. So I’ve decided to see if the extra guidance from the campaign helps.

Anyways, I received the notice that Bright Harvest had been added, along with a quest to add silos to my pastures and pens. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar enough with the production rates yet to see how much of an effect silos have.

They’ve solved a lot of my little problems with the previous games. Drag-and-drop fields and the ability to settle the whole island from the get go make it easier to plan out scenic cities.ni also like that the maps seem to have fewer islands, even if there are more maps to juggle.

A gazillion details about the Anno History Collection have been posted in the last couple of weeks.
Here’s a link to a dev blog about the new Anno 1404. Similar articles on the older titles are nearby.

If you can read German you might prefer the summary at the Gamestar site.

OK I’m finally playing this again and trying out the new Palace stuff. OMG this is sooooo cool! Especially with the satellite palace option. Having an island specific to crops and another for factory stuff… it’s amazing.

I missed this last week. So how is it? Tell me more! Now that I’ve tidied up my run at X4 (as much as one can “tidy” anything in an X game) I’ll probably pick up season 2 pass and give this a go.

Pic up Season 2 ASAP! You don’t want to play without it anymore. So for the Palace as your primary Palatial Residence island becomes beautified and cultured you get more and more options to choose for the massive area of effect it has. Things like +1 Influence, an extra slot in Town Halls, Harbors, and Trade Unions. There’s 5 or 6 options for each of the categories. Then you can build a satellite Palace on each island which also gets to choose one of the effects. Then you have Bright Harvest which is great because you can finally produce incredible amounts of farm stuff to feed a massive population. You just have to hook them up to the railroad and add a fuel station. You can also bring wheat or corn into livestock yards making them incredibly productive with silos. Both of these increase production by 200-300%.

And then I just can’t wait for Land of the Lions. I’m sure it’s going to add a new island area, African in nature, to the game. I hope it’s going got expand the botanical, zoo, and museum collections we have and some neat new storyline. I love this!

There’s also a bunch of new people you can get which have amazing stats. Loving the Expeditions with these people.

Nice, thanks!

How many games did you play with the new stuff? Did you include the Arctic and/or Trelawney? (Seems like Crown Falls would be the natural place for a palace?)

So I fired this up again with the season 2 pass ($15 after the Epic discount, not bad) and of course I’m loving it again.

The Bright Harvest stuff seems pretty minor so far–silos for animal farms and tractors for plant farms. The supply chain bit for the tractors is neat, and I think it will make a pretty big difference in the new world, where there’s plenty of oil (typically) and I always end up cramming fields into every last corner of those weirdly shaped islands.

Haven’t done anything with the palace yet because I can’t quite afford it. :)

My new game has (almost) everything enabled–all the DLCs but not the campaign. Holy moly this game has become large.

I failed to settle an island with saltpeter, so I’m about to buy a small one from Von Malching. We’ll see if he goes to war with me afterwords. I’m stocking up on ships of the line, but without saltpeter I don’t have any battlecruisers.

I also just read on the wiki that the silos and tractors also give one extra product every three cycles, which I didn’t see any in-game text for, but if so it means that the tractors are effectively a 4x multiplier (a 200% productivity increase means you do 3 cycles in the time of 1, and would therefore get 4 units out of it).

Haha he’s gonna be so pissed. I had a love/hate relationship with this game until they finally patched in so many critical things, like easy to see goods levels in the marketplace, and the amazing set of data tools you can bring up with ctrl-T. That has been a literal game-changer. Now all the stuff going on is manageable and not frustrating and I just have a love/love relationship with the game. I wish they could have nailed this stuff (plus balance) right out of the gate. But at least we’re here now and it’s amazing. Land of Lions is going to be so cool.

I think you’re reading that right. What’s so critical about this is if you’re playing a competitive game. The New World is make or break, so if you get stuck with just a 2 islands, with can make up the loss of those critical shortages with the trade unions and Bright Harvest. It really expands the game into something much more fun. (in case you didn’t know, the AI you play against determines how fast they colonize. The first 4 ask for permission before colonizing anything new, the next 4 move at a medium clip, and if you neglect claiming new lands too long there won’t be much left. And the final experts are murderous.

The war with the fat cat industrialist went more or less as planned. I put a huge fleet right in the harbor of his Cape Trelawney island that would have blocked off Crown Falls’ access to the new world (i.e. right in the trade route). When our non-aggression pact ran down (and I refused to pay him for another one) he predictably declared war and it therefore started with a huge bang. (Fortunately said pact allowed me to build up two and a half battlecruisers off the saltpeter I swiped from him.)

The downside was that he has a bunch of places in the New World that basically cut off all my trade routes. I had planned to just run around the NW with a fleet of frigates and pirate his shipping, but I failed to see that I my own routes would be similarly extinguished, but by islands instead. Since his cease fire offers (demands, really) came before I finished conquering his Trelawney island, I turned them down and settled in for a siege.

In the Old World I’d built up a fleet of ten or so ships of the line, and I sent them after one of his northern islands. I successfully wiped out the defenses on one side of the island but before I could wheel around to the other side, his fleet came in from the flank, and although I won that battle, I had lost half my ships, so the rest limped back home and I abandoned that effort. That was my major defeat for the war.

When I realized I was in it for the long haul (well, medium haul, really) I peeled off a couple ships of the line from both the old world and Trelawney and built up a conquest force in the NW. When my two battlecruisers (each with the commander that reduces defense gun damage by 80%, don’t know how I happened to get two of them) arrived to lead the attack I took the island that was cutting off most of the NW trade routes. He then sued for peace (and paid me this time) so I accepted, and I’ll similarly position my fleet at the other NW island I want from him to be ready for round 2.

Now I need to reconfigure all my routes since a ton of my merchants were sunk. Probably time to upgrade from clippers to cargo liners, but I really do prefer clippers for aesthetic reasons.

Oh, what’s that? Is it the statistics screen? (I always get there from a warehouse, heh.)

Yeah, I can’t wait, though I’m not sure the game really needs another map, heh.

I think this is where my cheap-ass wait-for-a-discount nature really helped me. :-)

That’s a really good point, but I guess I haven’t really played a competitive game! Do you?

Yeah, when the 1-stars would ask for permission I thought that was a bit too easy, so I play with 2-stars now. Usually George (so I have a friend) and the Anarchist if I feel like it (I like the flavor, usually), and then I rotate the third. But I should probably switch it up. I am too chicken to try the 3-stars. Have you played against them?

Do any of the DLC add anything to the campaign?

Also, this video, while long, describes features and differences from prior Annos in pretty good detail. I’m just watching it piecemeal since it is around an hour. It covers through the first season pass.

Pretty sure all the DLC content is available in the campaign. I can confirm Sunken Treasures and Golden Harvest both work, but I switched over to endless mode before I got far enough to see the Arctic or the palace in the campaign.

Thanks

I haven’t played it since all this got patched in. I’ve got a staycation coming up as my employers are forcing us to use up some of our vacation time. Reckon I’ll jump back into 1800 for a few days of that holiday.

The “campaign” is a set of missions and a (somewhat?) hard-coded island layout. The DLCs have no bearing on it. They do add their own campaigns (in their own regions). You can play with or without them as you please. I like the way they have it set up.