Anno 1800, city-building in the industrial revolution

@robc04

Everything at once for sure.

The trick to managing the AI is to get your economy roaring so you can bribe them. Same for the the Pirates. Though you can certainly kill off the AI players, but there’s some fun in keeping them around. The Pirates are important because there is a massive amount of trade opportunities you’ll lose out on not having them around. The AI is also excellent for shorting up production shortfalls you may have plus unique items from everyone.

So if you need to pay to sue for peace (unless you want war), do it. To start with go against 1 star AI. They will not enter the New World until you do so you’ll be able to take your time getting there. The higher starred AI get there faster and faster. You don’t need to worry about the other lands as those have triggers to wait til you get there when going against higher AI.

Thanks @jpinard . Is the guidance well done and would you recommend it when I start a new game, or does it just get in the way and is unnecessary? I’m not new to Anno or Anno 1800, but haven’t played any of the DLC.

Hmmm, well it can’t hurt. I think you can turn it off it gets annoying. I used it a lot to be thorough, but now it’s off.

boy, PC games. I was in a mood to check out Anno 1800, several good were deals popping up.

I had a suspicion that my PC could be in trouble, haven`t used it for a year, all notebook for me nowadays. I checked the game specs and there was a list of AMD processors that were not supported. And I have an AMD, but don’t even remember if 4 core or 8 core… I had an Athlon II once and maybe a Phenom.

So I booted up the PC, glad I still know the password, and it still works fine on Windows 7.

I checked and I found out that I installed an AMD FX 8300 2 years ago, thanks to CPU-Z and Amazon order history. Nvidia GTX 960 4GB looks OK.

Whew, so I guess I am ready for Anno 1800. Anything else before I jump into the industrial age?

Actually reading that press release, a little mention at the end:

Thank you all for your tireless passion and support for Anno 1800, which has not only allowed us to reach more than 1.7M players by the end of 2020.

Prepare to be mildly overwhelmed at first LOL. Also, do missions and sell soap to the prison island guy for money.

Does that require an extra production chain? SOAP+ROPE ?

lolol.

If I hadn’t played the game, I would accuse you of making this up and furthermore being in poor taste. :)

-Tom

I think I made the same mistake I did the first time I played this. I was looking around where to build the quartz sand mine and couldn’t find any deposits. I figured it must be in the New World so I start to build supplies for my expedition. I finally get to the New World and scout the islands. No sand deposits! I Google and find out you just build it on the coast - duh. I did the same thing when I played at release.

I started scooping up islands left and right, both in the Old World and the New World. I then realized that my Royal Tax skyrocketed and I was losing 500 money at a time. Would grabbing islands increase the Royal Tax or was it something else? I really hadn’t changed too much as I was just scouting around the islands at that point.

This tax is for overpopulation only.

Is that intended as a brake on snowballing through the game or is it something to be avoided and it means you’re doing too much on one island and should be spreading out more?

I imagine the intent is to encourage more even development across islands, as opposed to simple building a super island to rule all the little measly plantation islands. As a mechanic it should encourage getting the island trade system down well.

I tend to build up my main island as much as I can, only developing other islands as I absolutely need to.

Once you hit investors you make so much money that the royal taxes don’t matter.

so what is the best way to play Anno and which difficulty do you use?

I started the campaign, and had to mute the voice audio, so annoying! Always somebody is chatting. However, this cousin/brother is getting on my nerves, paying back some funeral costs. WTF? How expensive can it be? I watched the funeral in the rain? That was a cheap one, I can tell.

I learned in the campaign so far how production chains are working. I feel I want to play sandboxstyle.

I like having explicit mini goals in the campaign (well at least production based ones), but yeah, the writing and characters are annoying. I’m playing a sandbox game now. I’m haven’t played in a while so I left the difficulty on normal.

I usually play without any AIs except for the pirates and trader NPCs. There’s enough going on in the game with all the DLC that I don’t feel like I need to manage the AI.
If the chatter from the NPCs is annoying, you can turn it down in the gameplay settings.

Start with Easy AI. They’re not aggressive and will be trade partners once you get your rep up. If you go Medium AI or worse it will be too hard to learn how the economy works while managing everything else.

thanks, do you sell goods? How long do I need to wait until my warehouse sells goods?
I already started on normal, I want a hard game, so that I can fail and restart (sandbox).

The only thing that is annoying me is that some George Smith (AI) has the same portrait as myself. I hate that. Reminds me of the time when I played TitanQuest and I named my character Leonidas, which was also a character in the game, duh.