Anonymity, Trump supporters, the right-wing media, and the gman account

I believe that what fish is pointing out, is not that the mods banned him for his political views. I don’t think anyone really thinks that came into play.

What he’s pointing out is that the reaction he received was absolutely a result of his views. And that led to him getting in fights with everyone at once, which then led to his getting banned. If course, i think that in retrospect he was kind of an ass, too, and that didn’t help.

The mods acted, correctly, to deal with the situation, but part of the escalation that forced your hand, definitely seemed from his political views and the conflict those views had with other users.

Again, gman had other issues that magnified a problem, but that problem would happen with any new conservative voice. It definitely would happen with a trump supporter.

This isn’t really an issue for the mods. They can’t “fix” this. They put together what was probably the best possible outcome. But it’d be good if it creates some moment of introspection for other folks in the forum.

You think he started in good faith, got piled on by the witch burners, and then took his revenge by trolling? Interesting. Maybe. I choose to believe that he was a perfect troll from the beginning, and that even this doubt is a testament to his skill. I’m in awe frankly and feel like I’ve learned more about the behavior than all my years on the internet.

In a way, I admire him as you would admire a master jewel theif.

That sounds like another poster in the “What non-Liberals dislike about liberalism” thread to be honest.

QT3 song of the week:

I fought the troll and the troll won.
I fought the troll and the troll won.

Very eloquently put. And I’ll add that if people are sporting swastikas or the Confederate Battle Flag “just to thumb their nose at ‘the man’” they can go straight to hell and have preemptively shut down any possibility of reasonable discussion. They should educate themselves on the horrors perpetrated by the regimes that those symbols represent. I’ve never been particularly comfortable with people waving the hammer and sickle around either, given the Stalinist associations, but those ideas at least don’t appear ascendant, currently, especially in the US. And no, Ms. Ocasio Cortez’s ideas don’t represent Stalinism, before anyone claims otherwise.

I do fundamental agree with this. I suppose if the country survived Lincoln suspending habeas corpus to protect the union, than QT3 will survive banning a Trumpist.

No. He pretty much started off his posting career by lying about being a non-native English speaker who was just trying to understand the subtleties of the American political system. And then later tried to explain the lie with some bullshit about how the whole idea of a 1st language was an artifical concept that he didn’t accept.

It was not in good faith even at the start.

BTW, what was the handle of the “roommate’s” account from before? I don’t think I ever saw it.

Hilariously, Hegelian.

Whoops sorry, that was the newest one.

I could be wrong, but I think it was @preciousgollum1 We’ve had a few odd numbers show up, so I can’t keep track.

Just had the exact same thought.

Well, file some complaints then! I don’t watch every thread.

I think there’s some confusion.

This was PreciousGollum1. He showed up in the Battlefield 5 topic about women and just was all over the place. He spent a lot of time in the Last Jedi topic, too. His claim to fame was “calling people Nazis makes them more likely to retreat further toward Nazism.” Or something.

I don’t think this is right either. The two of them existed concurrently. I don’t think Tom will tell us, but my money says the roommate’s account was JeremyBrianGreen, famously from the 2017 Review post.

-Bradley, amateur Qt3 historian, 2016-2018 focus.

I think you are right, Bradley. Gollum was wacky, but never posted in P & R. In fact he never talked about or even alluded to current political events, unlike Gman.

Oh, right. His “roommate”? Or was that yet another account?

I think his roommate was jeremybriangreen, from here:

Preciousgollum was more recent and was active at the same time as gman. PG started out here here:

I don’t think PG is related to gman in any way, but I’m positive they’re both having a laugh at me for caring about this shit in the first place.

Indeed. Sorry about the misinformation, the two accounts somehow merged together for me.

Yeah, I’m convinced PreciousGollum1 was actually either a very advanced AI or a space alien that joined this board to determine if humans are ready for space travel. Needless to say, we shouldn’t be expecting to receive a warp drive any time soon.

I’m with the latter…sort of. He was “Charlie X” from Star Trek TOS. Raised by Aliens.

It’s weird scanning through his posting history real quick and seeing the exact same type of responses. “Explain!” “Can you provide a link?” “Thanks for the link!” “I didn’t know about that, thanks!” etc Strange that he and his “roommate” had such incredibly similar writing and debate styles.