Anonymity, Trump supporters, the right-wing media, and the gman account

You have made me lol good sir, and thus we are brothers, no matter our respective stances on whether placing tariffs on steel was a carefully considered plan.

My dark secret is that when I read words like ‘placing tariffs on steel’ my eyes glaze over and I go to my happy place, which is usually Rivendell.

I am already there, applying anise oil to the staff of Radagast the Brown. That sounds naughtier than I meant it, but it’s the truth, and so it stands.

I’ll add (in the spirit of @ChristienMurawski’s post yesterday) that I treated gman like a turd, constantly mocking his faux-politeness for a good solid three days, among other antics, and I suspect that I am among those who some claim “behaved badly”.

About two days in, I thought, hey, I wonder if I started guessing what sort of person he is, maybe I’ll get it right, at least a little, and he will start being a person (to me, at least) and not some kind of creepy totem. So I started making up short descriptions (e.g. “I was hired by the DNC to infiltrate a forum and mine it for responses to conservative talking points”) and posting those.

I didn’t get close to the truth (which was far more obvious than I was guessing) but along the way, I thought: what if I’d right from the start asked him to talk about himself, and share things about myself, so that we would be people to each other, and not people-shaped outlines?

It was too late to start once I’d spend two solid days ridiculing him, but I wished I could re-wind time and do it differently. Next time…

If I thought Trump was a stupid and abhorrent man and then realized he was enacting the agenda I wanted, that would give me pause, but not about him.

Ask Dawn Falcon.

Oh wait he got banned for it. Multiple times iirc.

So the answer is: yes.

I followed the link over here just to see how this all finally played out. I agree with you that just calling every republican a misogynistic racist because we disagree with them has no no real merits.

I am not going to read anything beyond your post, and will not post myself beyond this post. I am saddened though by the behavior of some in this affair.

Oh well, now I am on to read your review of Bioshock Infinite as I have just finished playing it.

Well, you might think it is so easy to govern better than the Democrats that even an idiot can do it (as long as he has the right people in Congress).

Am I understanding this corrrectly?

Some account goes on epic troll rampage, gets closed…

another account mysteriously shows up that shares an IP with this account and behaves very similarly

this account, despite being

• flagged into oblivion by the community as an obvious troll
  • behaving nearly identically to the old troll account
  • and sharing an IP address with the old troll account

is allowed to freely engage in continued trolling here with some minor limitations … only post in a “few” topics … what it is, I’m not entirely clear?

At any rate, this account is eventually closed due to continued community outcry

… and then immediately resurfaces as another obvious sock puppet account?

🤔

As far as how this situation was handled, of all the things one could be “deeply disappointed” in, I’d say the community would be rather low on that list.

I have an Associate’s. You guys need coffee?

No, I’d be wondering why my policy positions were shared by a stupid and abhorrent man. Anyone ought to question that, but of course few will. Sigh.

I hope we can all agree that the behavior of some people was saddening, at the very least.

And the response to that, of course, is that plenty of abhorrent people (Weinstein) are all in for their version of the liberal agenda. You can’t judge the validity of the political idea by the worst of the people who hold it.

On the contrary, I haven’t the slightest idea what Weinstein’s policy positions are, and if I had to guess what they were, ‘things that are good for the working class and women and minorities etc’ would not have been my guess. Maybe I’m not being invited to the right secret meetings or something.

More seriously, why do people act like there is some kind of discrete impermeable membrane between someone’s personal values and their politics? There isn’t. Your politics are an expression of your personal values, and your personal values are discernible from your politics.

This is coming from someone who joined three days ago? Gman, is that you?

Yes. That is mysterious isn’t it? :)

Weinstein was a big Democratic fund-raiser, which is probably too easy for you to dismiss, so I’ll move on…

So LBJ wasn’t a big racist, womanizer, and general all-around asshole? Or he was, and the Civil Rights Act, Great Society, Council on Environmental Quality were a reflection of those personal values, as much as his execution of the Vietnam War was? How about the many personal foibles of FDR? Granted, these people weren’t idiots like Trump. Trump himself used to be a pro-choice democrat, but I doubt his personal values have changed at all.

Politics are obviously an expression of your moral values, but the function P(MV) is non-linear and different for every person.

The first rule of leadership is to take responsibility for what’s happening on your watch. Except when it is toooootally everyone else’s fault, of course.

You said academia twice but I still agree.

what?

Wumpus?